Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
SG cravings - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SG cravings

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

True Deeaa. Corrected. But some of thoses LTD Deluxes sound nice for the price paid.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No doubt about that...I always find real gems in even very cheap guitars...might well come accross a great entry level ltd as well and really doubt an esp is really worth the tenfold price anyway.... But I'd not buy an ltd sight unseen while I might an esp.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably so.

Around here you can get an ESP Eclipse II for about 1600US. The LTD EC-1000 Deluxe with either the Custom Custom bridge and 59 neck or the JB bridge and 59 are about the same 799+/-US as the EMG 81/60 or 81/90's, and they feel real good. The Viper Deluxe in a similar passive or active version is about 700US. Both of these LTD top of the line models feel and play and sound very good; plus some of them look real good. I especially like the cream white Viper Deluxe with gold hardware and alnico II covered HB's; but the new heritage trans cherry Viper Deluxe with the Custom 5 and 59 also looks real good. Seven or eight hundred can buy a half way decent guitar around here, brand new, and imagine what you could get for that used.

The problem where I live is that you "rarely" see real good guitars used, and if you do they want ridiculous prices - like the 2K used PRS at the shop by me on consignment. I don't think the guy will get close to that. I almost never see local used American Fender anythings around here, except at prices that are almost what you can get them for new. American guitars almost never show up locally, used; and Mexicans are very rare as well, although I picked up a perfectly mint MIM Fender P bass for 200, a very nice bass as well.

I have never seen a used ESP guitar around here, locally.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This is where I look for guitars:

http://muusikoiden.net/tori/index.ph...=all&view=full

It's in Finnish but you can see the pics and prices OK...just multiply euros by 1.44x to get the price in dollars.

These 27 are within a few miles from me:

http://muusikoiden.net/tori/haku.php...1&with_image=0
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Seemingly somewhat more expensive than around here, if you can find one. But I'm sure everything is relative too, considering the two distinctly different countries and economies - wages, cost of living, etc.

I wonder how much he wants for that Eclipse II Snow White, just out of curiosity. I didn't see a price stated. Fishing?
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh, that's a WTB. Eclipse II is usually ~1500$ used. I have a buddy who has one of those in lefty.

And yeah, well, everything here is a bit more expensive than in the US...but because dollar is of lower value it's a good time for us to buy overseas - that is if we can get around the customs which gets their hands on everything over 50€.

But, I just ordered a new battery for my wife's laptop and it was $40 shipping included...here it would have been 150€ plus shipping...that's like $200. Insane.
    Makes more sense to buy everything separately...it's crazy, if I buy, say 500€ worth stuff in one package, I'll have to pay 25% or so customs plus handling fees etc...but if I can order the same stuff each in under 50€ packages, no costs, free shipping...

But, yeah, USA seems very cheap for us. If we do make the move over there for a year, I'll get a loan for at least $20-30K or so and bring back a full container of stuff, guitars, motorbikes, snowmobiles and at least one or two cars. I can easily sell them for twice the money here then and make a sweet bundle.

I guess I've already mentioned cars often, but can you imagine for instance a Grand Cherokee Jeep with a hemi might cost round 140K here, even slightly used? I don't know what it costs in the US but can't be nothing like that. It would indeed be pretty sensible to ship one here, as it'd be tax free after a year abroad...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a hemi Dodge four door three quarter ton heavy duty four wheel drive pickup, a nice one. It cost 37K, new. I would guess that the hemi Grand Cherokee's are a little more, maybe 42 or so, new. Plus they have cool Durango's.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heh, yeah, well that's under 30K€. Roughly a quarter of the price here. ~30K ($43K) Buys you a basic VW Jetta here. Yep no wonder everyone brings in at least one of those big Dodges, Jeeps or whatever if they stay in the U.S. a while.

Imagine if your Dodge had cost you 9.250;- brand new ...that's exactly how cheap cars over there feel for us. Same ratio.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

That would amount to one super heavy duty, highly functional vehicle for a very small price. One that would be capable of intense work and be of high durability and extreme power, plus very comfortable and well excuted in terms of ergonomics and functionality.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Whatever, we can call it a "Dogturd by AXL" for all I care, as long as it meets my expectations. And I'm too lazy to go back and change all the ESP to LTD.

And I will almost certainly going used if I choose to get an SG style guitar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The local store where I take lessons is Samick dealer. He quoted me a price darn close to wholesale. So I'm having him bring in 2 guitars for me to try. The

TR2: Mahogany
    Double cutaway sculpted body, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups

and the TR3
    Double cutaway alder body with bound, carved, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    The local store where I take lessons is Samick dealer. He quoted me a price darn close to wholesale. So I'm having him bring in 2 guitars for me to try. The

TR2: Mahogany
    Double cutaway sculpted body, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups

and the TR3
    Double cutaway alder body with bound, carved, High Tech quilt top, bound, mahogany set neck, rosewood fingerboard, Grover tuners, stop tailpiece with adjustable bridge, HH Duncan Design pickups
    What's the difference? Just the body wood and the 4 knobs vs. 2 knobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

And the inlays. I think the TR3 is their attempt to entice the PRS crowd. I have to pay off some stuff, so realistically I'm about 1-2 months from doin' this.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I like the looks of the more traditional Samick with the mahogany body, but, of course, it's your choice completely.

I am definitely wondering how those Agile Valkyrie's are, considering how nice the LP copies are. If the build quality, feel, and playability is like the LP copies I think it would make a nice guitar, definitely a platform for hot rodding, possibly super nice the way it is.

I have a Samick strat type HSS with duncan designed pups but they don't seem to me to sound nearly as good as the duncan designed humbuckers I have on a different guitar. I'm not sure how that duncan designed deal goes down, if they just purchase the name and have to make the pickups within certain SD specifications, open to some discretion and variation in the production at any of many production sites. Anyway, the ones in the Samick strat-ish are not half way decent pickups, in my opinion. But I suppose you would immediately replace the pickups anyway, so it's probably irrelevant.

It would be really interesting to hear from someone that has or has had an Agile Valkyrie.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    It would be really interesting to hear from someone that has or has had an Agile Valkyrie.
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...lectric-Guitar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hard to say from those photos, but first impression is the Tr2 is kinda trying too much...the Tr3 looks pretty classy. Of course, in real life the TR2 might look just right, can't say based on those photos.

I still haven't gotten an SG. I'm likely selling my V though...it just feels too big for me. The downside is, I'm selling it to my best friend, so I'm asking only the bare minimum for it, which is at least $300 less I've put into it. But, the truth is, that's what it's worth in open market and I'm not gonna ask my friend for any more that he wants to pay. I've told him I think it's worth 350€ in open market and that I've put more like 600 in it, but he can have it for whatever he feels is appropriate, and I'll be happy with 350, estatic with 400.

Anyway, I just had to upgrade my computer and I'm way too deep in creditcard debt, so if he's gonna buy it soon, it'll likely just go towards paying for my credit, but...might be an opportunity to get me some SG as well. I'm certainly quite interested in an epi 400 series SG...but a part of me is itching to get a faded Gibson even. If I sell the V I'll only have one Gibson scale axe...

But, I'll also miss the V...I might rip apart the weird 'X' guitar I built from scratch and make it a V shape, but more like the original, small-body V rather than the 67 model...we'll see...I can certainly see myself getting into building some guitar thing next winter...
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

You could win a Gibson SG from Premier Guitar . . . assuming you live in the U.S. of A.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Survey/292/survey.aspx
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah but the Samick is probably a better instrument than that Gibby, even if I did win it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123