Thread: Squier vs. Fender? (I know, I know)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier vs. Fender? (I know, I know)

OK Maybe I'm nuts, but after a week or two or searching and researching I'm still stumped.

I see the various pickup packages, fretboards and finishes, but on a basic level, what am I missing out on by buying a Squier instead of shelling out for a Fender? I mean, a Squier Bullet is still a strat, right? Same playability? Same (or close to the same) sound?

Probably opening a can of worms, or else rehashing a tired old argument, but I'm new at the whole Fender/Squier thing. So what's the big difference? Maybe the frets are a different height or something? Body is made from a lesser quality wood?

Anyone have a usedful link to some kind of side-by-side comparison?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Squier Bullets have great necks and are good quality guitars actually. A lot of players are replacing the electronics and using the guitar professionally. The next step up is the Deluxe series and then the Classic Vibe series. I gig always with my CV 50s Strat. I'm proud to play it because it kicks butt.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

The real test is to play that bullet, then play an MIM standard strat, then play an MIA strat. Notice the difference in the feel - if it's not significant I wouldn't spend anymore $$$ that I had to in order to get a guitar that feels great to me.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In the past the differences between Squier and Fender were a bit more obvious, but thanks to the Classic Vibe series, Squier's quality has taken a big step up. Some people like their CV's better than MiM Fenders. I think the CV's are an excellent choice and a great value.

That said, the consistency of quality may not be all that reliable (this could already be improving). Pick up 3 or 4 CV's in a shop and you might find only 1 or 2 that feel and sound "right". The fret ends in particular are of concern. Some just need a little setup work to dial them in. In all fairness you can say the same of MiM Fenders and several other guitar manufacturers. Even some of the recent American made Gibsons are showing occasional quality issues, so like all guitars, you just need to pick several up and play them to see if there is one that is just right for you. Start be comparing how they sound unplugged.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    In the past the differences between Squier and Fender were a bit more obvious, but thanks to the Classic Vibe series, Squier's quality has taken a big step up. Some people like their CV's better than MiM Fenders. I think the CV's are an excellent choice and a great value.

That said, the consistency of quality may not be all that reliable (this could already be improving). Pick up 3 or 4 CV's in a shop and you might find only 1 or 2 that feel and sound "right". The fret ends in particular are of concern. Some just need a little setup work to dial them in. In all fairness you can say the same of MiM Fenders and several other guitar manufacturers. Even some of the recent American made Gibsons are showing occasional quality issues, so like all guitars, you just need to pick several up and play them to see if there is one that is just right for you. Start be comparing how they sound unplugged.
    +1 co-sign great post.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting, Spud - what are you listening for unplugged?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean. If it's electric I plug it in.

Back to the OP - there are plenty of videos on You Tube of guys with Squier Bullets and they do sound very good with electronics upgrades, and in all the internet snooping I've done they get high marks for being a great playing and being generally a well built cheap guitar...if that's what you are looking for.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    To compare how resonant they are. This thread from poodlesrule is a good example.

Post Thanks / Like

Tig nailed it in post #4. I've played several Squiers, and own a '06 MIM Standard Strat. With the Deluxe line and Classic Vibe line of Strats, the Squiers I've played have been on par or better in terms of general fit and finish with my Strat. I think the alnico pickups on both Squier lines sound better than the stock ceramics in my Fender, but that's a subjective thing. IMO, Squier QC has taken a big leap forward within the last few years, but you can always find a lemon in the pile. They are mass produced guitars, after all.

Bottom line, both MIM Fenders and Squiers are great guitars. The only differences are country of origin and the name on the headstock.

As far as the Bullet line goes, there gets to be a point where there is a tradeoff of quality for price. There are a ton of Bullet Strat players out there that love their guitars, so the basic platform must be good. However, quality control may be less stringent than with other models, and Squier would probably cut corners with pickups, pots, wire, tuners and bridges. In short, all the stuff that someone would mod to their liking anyway.

My opinion, play a Bullet, then play a Deluxe or a Classic Vibe. I'll bet you'll find a difference in quality. Good luck with the search, and let us know what you decide!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Hey thanks all, excellent advice. Looks like I came to the right place!

Post Thanks / Like

One last thing not touched on is resale value and who's economy do you want to support.I have no problem with mim strats as they have a great factory!! I do have issues with China/indonesia/korea made.I wont comment further as I never want to offend anyone here.This is an international forum with people from all over,but the USA needs to stop.............................................. ................... importing and start exporting ....

I do relize squiers have come a long way but I am a purist at heart!!
    peace & luv fo-sho ..........muddy
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

As with so many things, there's Squiers and then there's Squiers. I've had some that were crap and some that were outstanding. With the bottom-rung ones you'll probably be getting much less quality in things like switches/pots/wiring, and you may be getting non-traditional woods like basswood or agathis. In contrast to the bottom-level ones, the Classic Vibe (CV) and to a somewhat lesser extent the Modern Vintage (MV) Squier lines seem to be very respectable, and the old made in Japan Squiers (like the JV and E serial number ones from the '80's, and more recently the '90's Vista Series guitars) seem to have very good reps.

I currently only have one Squier, an '80's MIJ that was my first "real" bass. It's a very nice P-bass, and I won't part with it, despite that I bought it for a hundred bucks. Not long ago I had Squier MV Thinline Tele that was quite nice as well (I bought it specifically to flip). Like anything else, see if you can't try before you buy, and have fun. There's tons of very nice Squiers out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Brian the jap guitars are outstanding top quality stuff!!! Those guitars are a different beast fo-sho!!!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input all!

Muddy, I'm with you about the economics of it all, but I got this Bullet for $44 from a pawn shop in the neighborhood so I'm not sending too many American dollars to Indonesia. LOL

When it comes to these non-bass guitars (you know, the ones with the really skinny strings), I guess at my level the quality would have to be really really bad for me to notice it that much. At some point I'm sure I'll be looking at replacing the pups & pots, but at the moment I'm enjoying this cheap gitfiddle. I'm sure it would sound pretty good if I knew how to play it

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I just played a couple of Squier basses, the CV jazz and CV P-bass, yesterday at the local GC. They felt and sounded very, very good.

Really nice and solid instruments. I'd rock one of those any day.

The neck on the jazz had a very nice flame pattern to it.