Thread: Gibson Melody Maker being offered in Explorer, SG, V, LP, and traditional MM styles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson Melody Maker being offered in Explorer, SG, V, LP, and traditional MM styles

Minus the P-90 which has been replaced by a ceramic humbucker:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navig...n+melody+maker

$549....not for me since I just got my V, but interesting.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I saw this and was hummmmmmmmmm only one pup would that really work for me or not?
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that these are a "preorder" item that is in the "clearance" section (the explorer and V), plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them.
    That's what I think, too. I have played several Melody Makers and the intonation was horrible.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

How would that V be better than this Epiphone, other than "Gibson" on the headstock?
    http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...5000000000.sku

Actually, I like the looks of the Epi a lot.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I've been intrigued by the MMs for a while, but haven't had a chance to play one. The body looks to be incredibly thin. I'ts cool that Gibby is giving MM fans more options, but I think I'll confine my GAS to Les Paul Jr. singlecut models for now.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

The fact that these are a "preorder" item that is in the "clearance" section (the explorer and V), plus no way to set intonation makes me say "no" rather than "hmmmmmmmm", no matter who's name is on them.
    it was more a HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not really digging these one pup axes I've seen a lot of lately.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    it was more a HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM not really digging these one pup axes I've seen a lot of lately.
    Ha ha..... Maxi, I was thinking of the Arsenio Hall "things that make you go 'hmmmmmmmmmmmm' ", more than your hummmmmmmmmmm, but I get where you're coming from.

I'd take that Epi V the Rev linked to any day over one with no tune-o-matic and one pickup.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Ha ha..... Maxi, I was thinking of the Arsenio Hall "things that make you go 'hmmmmmmmmmmmm' ", more than your hummmmmmmmmmm, but I get where you're coming from.

I'd take that Epi V the Rev linked to any day over one with no tune-o-matic and one pickup.
    You know I keep seeing this one pup guitars by every AXE vendor but I have never seen anyone use them in person.
    And I have seen one heck of a lot of artists over the years. Yeah your right the EPI would be a much better buy That is for the guy that wants "Gibson" on headstock. LOL on the Aresnio comment that leads to a story ah but another time LOL.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:

Post Thanks / Like

Metal guys use one pickup guitars all the time. I used to have one. Since I can only have a very limited number of guitars (right now: one), I need them to be as flexible as possible. If it had a neck pickup I'm sure I would still have it today.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    LOL on the Aresnio comment that leads to a story ah but another time LOL.
    He used to crack me up on his late night show.......and I laughed so hard at "Harlem Nights" my sides hurt.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals