Thread: Help Needed With Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickup Installation

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Help Needed With Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickup Installation

Hello guys,

I really need your help on installing these pickups. I have searched all over the internet and found no end of installation topics with links to the Fender website but they are now broken.

I have recently brought some Fender Noiseless pickups for my 13 year old Hank Marvin stratocaster. Me & my dad looked at the sheet that came with these pickups and some things were missing from the diagram. My dad knows alot about electronics and wiring and he noticed something was wrong on the sheet. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something along the lines of "It doesn't show where the capacitor goes, where the 2nd resistor supplied goes and the resistor value is wrong".

This is maybee starting to sound a little confusing but I'm trying my best to keep it simple.

I didn't know if anything was wrong myself because 1.) I don't know much about electronics & 2.) I'm only 14 lol. Anyway, here's a link to the sheet supplied with the pickups.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbas...pec/301632.pdf

I have the Haynes Fender Stratocaster manual but that doesn't help much. Does anyone happen to have the Vintage Noiseless pickup schematic or have information on what to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many Thanks,

Regards,
    Robson

Post Thanks / Like

http://mrgearhead.net

Download the schematic for american deluxe!! The cap and resistor go on the v-pot................... Download the parts list also, it will show the cap and resistor values and how they go!!........Muddy

Click on link then click on fender, then stringed instrument service diagrams, the second entry for american deluxe. You will see the pups marked as noiseless so ya know your looking at the right schematic!!!

Also the claptons have these pups but the diagram might confuse ya since it has a boost wired in.If ya still cant figure it out hollar!!!

Peace brother!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much! We managed to work it out by that website and have installed the pickups! Who ever messed with the guitar before didn't know what they were doing. Dry solder everywhere and burnt wires, anyway, Dad has replaced them all now. Going to have a little sound check now,

Thanks again!

Robson

Post Thanks / Like

A common belief is that the yello/black lead pickup is for the middle position, it is not. It is the bridge position. (just in case you don't have that info)

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi mrmudcat. I am about to install the Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups in a guitar I built from scratch and want to confirm which wiring diagram on the fender website is correct. Is it the Part # 010-1400/02 (which was revised in 2004) or Part # 010-1000/02 (which was revised in 2000). I think you referenced the 2000 revision being the correct one, so, please confirm. Also, if using the 2000 revision, is it OK to go with 250 pots for the volume and tone controls instead of the 500 and 1 meg pots that are shown in the diagram and which come with the pickup kit? Thanks a lot for sharing the info and your help.

Post Thanks / Like

part number 010-0202000/2
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Muddy.......you are one great guy..

Welcome dadgadfolkmusic......stop by the fretplayer's section and introduce yourself when you have time.
    Tell us something about that that guitar you built from, what'd you call it, "scratch"?
    Interesting...... I think my Strats are alder.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the resistor is missing from the diagram but the cap is on the back of the pot. The value of the cap is not necessarily wrong because of the 1 megohm pot. .022 and .047 is pretty popular values.

When I had my epi tele I rewired the guitar with 1 megohm no load pots. My cap was .022 and while it doesn't get real dark it had more range for a sweet spot. It gets enough bass to tame the brightness. Also I installed a set of GFS lil puncher twinblade pups. It was a good sounding axe.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

You might try using the 250's and see if you get a smooth mellow bass'y sound rather than a bright sound. Supposedly a lot of people were not using the included pots because the liked the sound of the 250's.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    You might try using the 250's and see if you get a smooth mellow bass'y sound rather than a bright sound. Supposedly a lot of people were not using the included pots because the liked the sound of the 250's.
    I have two "part-o-casters" - both fitted out (eventually) with Fender vintage noiseless pick-ups. One has, I believe a 250 vol pot, and 500s for the tone pots with the vol pot being an S-1 push-pull for the seven position set up. The second set up and most recent installation, I used the factory supplied 500 vol, and 1000s for the tone pots. The factory style set up, with the 1000s sounds too bright, and the high end is literally over the top. The first set up with the 250 and 500s sounds much more balanced, and has a broader range of tonal nuances, without breaking out over the high end into brassy, harsh chiming highs. The only other difference is that the set up with the 1000s used the Fender supplied, poly film cap, and the earlier project with the 250 / 500 pots used a Sprague orange drop. Tone! Mysterious and profound..........tone. We live and learn.