Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
You might try using the 250's and see if you get a smooth mellow bass'y sound rather than a bright sound. Supposedly a lot of people were not using the included pots because the liked the sound of the 250's.
I have two "part-o-casters" - both fitted out (eventually) with Fender vintage noiseless pick-ups. One has, I believe a 250 vol pot, and 500s for the tone pots with the vol pot being an S-1 push-pull for the seven position set up. The second set up and most recent installation, I used the factory supplied 500 vol, and 1000s for the tone pots. The factory style set up, with the 1000s sounds too bright, and the high end is literally over the top. The first set up with the 250 and 500s sounds much more balanced, and has a broader range of tonal nuances, without breaking out over the high end into brassy, harsh chiming highs. The only other difference is that the set up with the 1000s used the Fender supplied, poly film cap, and the earlier project with the 250 / 500 pots used a Sprague orange drop. Tone! Mysterious and profound..........tone. We live and learn.