View Poll Results: What String Gauge Do You Use?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • 8s

1 2.63%
  • 9s

6 15.79%
  • 10s

23 60.53%
  • 11s

2 5.26%
  • 12s

1 2.63%
  • Other (please specify in thread)

5 13.16%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What String Gauge Do You Use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Depends entirely on guitar.

On most guitars I use a custom set that has 9 tops but 11 bottoms, 9 to 50 or 52.
    One Yamaha shredder I keep 9-42 and it's reserved for like crazy fast recording riffs, otherwise it's way too lax to play.

On a couple of 'em I have 9,5 sets (GHs) and on one gibby scale I usually use a 10 set. 13 on acoustic.

It's been getting this thin in recent years, when I had just a few guitars I used .11 - 52 sets on them.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Depends entirely on guitar.

On most guitars I use a custom set that has 9 tops but 11 bottoms, 9 to 50 or 52.
    One Yamaha shredder I keep 9-42 and it's reserved for like crazy fast recording riffs, otherwise it's way too lax to play.

On a couple of 'em I have 9,5 sets (GHs) and on one gibby scale I usually use a 10 set. 13 on acoustic.

It's been getting this thin in recent years, when I had just a few guitars I used .11 - 52 sets on them.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I use 9-42 on my longer scale guitars and 10-46 on shorter scale guitars. For years I used 10s on everything but that was when I was playing all the time.
    I'll bet you have to buy strings by the gross, Spud. Do you have a rotation schedule for string changes, or is it on an "as needed" basis? As I slowly grow my flock, I realize that strings have to be something to budget for. I have four or five that are due, and that will probably mean that I'll only have a few sets left afterward. Thank goodness for Webstrings!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I for one have seriouzly pondered about putting one of those sticker printout dymo labels on the back of each guitar stating the gauges, and having selected just the right gauges for each guitar (meaning, some love a 52 bottom, some have to be 48, and the best D string could be 28 on some axe 32 on another...and I alwyas forget exactly what went where.

Then I could just order like 20 piecez oc every gauge I use, which would mean maybe 20 diffefent gauges.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I'll bet you have to buy strings by the gross, Spud. Do you have a rotation schedule for string changes, or is it on an "as needed" basis? As I slowly grow my flock, I realize that strings have to be something to budget for. I have four or five that are due, and that will probably mean that I'll only have a few sets left afterward. Thank goodness for Webstrings!
    I buy 12 per gauge in straight packs at a time. I generally don't have to buy that often for 2 reasons: first, I only use a few guitars to gig with and those would be the ones I want fresh strings on. Second, strings seem to sound better longer than they used to. I don't have oily or sweaty hands and strings seem to have a longer active life. I get more for my money than in the past.

I'm only paying about $2.50 per set so it's not that bad.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I use 8's an all my teles and 10's on the Gibbys.
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

"Your label could be here"...........Danny Gatton

Post Thanks / Like

@ Teleman77 -

Dude! Glad to see you posting here again... welcome back!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

@ Katastrophe -

Thanks! It's good to be back. I'll make sure to stop by more often than every 6 months.
    www.myspace.com/reubenadkins

"Your label could be here"...........Danny Gatton

Post Thanks / Like

10's on my Maton's that both have a 25.5" scale length and 11's on my Strat that has the same scale length but is detuned a whole step.

Post Thanks / Like

I started as a bass player, and I used 13's on my guitars...My hands are now OLD bassplayer's hands and I am down to 9's...Ernie Ball for many decades now.

mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wisdom indeed!

Welcome to The Fret, Mark.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

10 for some guit..

9 - 46 for some other

11 -12 for slide ..

Post Thanks / Like

It depends on the guitar. On the Gretsch Anniversary and the Les Paul Junior, it's 11s. On the Fenders, it's 10s, although I'm thinking about going to 11s, because I'm over bending. I think I'm getting to the point where I can handle 11s pretty much all around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good to see you again, DrumBob. Do you have any recent articles at Premier Guitar or other publications we should read?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gettin' back to the thread, I just played a training session last night with a semi-eleven set on a strat scale guitar...I could play quite OK, bends and all, but boy my playing sucked.

I'm thinking, I should really always play at practice with at least tens, and then when I record leads or play a gig, switch to nines. Playing fluidity and bending vibrato improves 300% or so. I like to bend every note a little when I play leads, and the best thing is to do a full bend and then a wide vibrato on the bent note...that's very hard or impossible if you have thicker strings. Also, I noted that with 11's it's nigh impossible to do a two-step bend which is also something I enjoy doing.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately, not at the moment. When the new editor-in-chief came in last year at PG, I, along with several other stalwarts who helped build the magazine into what it is today, were swept out in order for him to bring his journalistic buddies in, most of whom wrote for Guitar Player. The way they did it was horrendous. I have yet to hook up with another guitar magazine, but I will soon. Thank you for asking.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Gettin' back to the thread, I just played a training session last night with a semi-eleven set on a strat scale guitar...I could play quite OK, bends and all, but boy my playing sucked.

I'm thinking, I should really always play at practice with at least tens, and then when I record leads or play a gig, switch to nines. Playing fluidity and bending vibrato improves 300% or so. I like to bend every note a little when I play leads, and the best thing is to do a full bend and then a wide vibrato on the bent note...that's very hard or impossible if you have thicker strings. Also, I noted that with 11's it's nigh impossible to do a two-step bend which is also something I enjoy doing.
    What's a training session? Like you were teaching someone or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Aaa, I meant the bi-monthly band practice session by that. We play circa 4-6 hours a month with Spookbox.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hate to hear that. It happened to me before.
    Hang in there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast