Thread: Anyone play a Cornford?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone play a Cornford?

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a 5-10W amp for bedroom use and came across the Cornford Harlequin.

Looks like a perfect amp to me, or i could get the Marshall Class 5

Anyone played one before?

Post Thanks / Like

I know a guy, Chris Michetti, who used to use a Cornford of some variety. It was one of the 50 or 100 watt heads. He played with a band called Raq and is now on tour with Conspirator (an offshoot of the Disco Biscuits). It's a real high gain amp. If you were comparing a Cornford to a Marshall, I wouldn't think that they were direct competitors. Isn't the Class 5 Chinese made components that have been assembled in the UK? I just read a couple of reviews that did not seem overly impressed by the build quality. The Cornford is a handmade amp. Unfortunately, it's probably next to impossible to find a place to try one out.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

cornford are great amps!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have tested/played plenty of them. Not exactly the Harlequin, but other models and I can tell you they sound amazing.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys, looks like this will be my next GAS purchase. Point to Point amp for only £650....$1,070.20 !!!.

Post Thanks / Like

I might pick up one also as you got me to spend atleast an hour looking at vids and sound clips!!! I also want to pick up a bogner shiva then ill be set!!!! The harlequin are about $1500 in the states
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

They sound killer, but I just got my Super Reverb rebuilt by Vintage Amps, so no cash for awhile.......
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

I've played through a Harlequin and the next one up (name escapes me). They're really nice amps.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I may be a little late into this but, as much as they are great amps, you'll only love it if you have a bedroom the size of a small club or understanding neighbours! The Harlequin is a superb amp, really great sound with plenty of headroom and built like the proverbial MBT. The only thing is, it is LOUD. I tried a couple of amps looking for the bedroom/home practice amp and the Cornford was the best sounding out of all of them (probably the most expensive as well) but you have to crank it to make it really sing and, for that reason, i would'nt recommend it for a home practice amp. I thought the master volume would enable me to crank up the Volume dial which is really a gain 1 and gain 2, yet lower the actual volume but still it's a wall shaker.

I may have considered it if it was cheaper but i went with the Vox Lil Night Train instead and that is a great deal cheaper and gives me what i want.