Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal note. Dad is Sick.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family.
    My Dad is a Korean war veteran, he'll be 82 in September.
    I just saw this thread today, I will be praying for your Dad, and I think you playing for him is wonderful. I do that for my Dad when he's down, since Mom's been in the nursing home after her stroke.
    We all need to let our loved know how much they mean to us.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hang in there, both of you ~

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    Steve,

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all your family.

We all need to let our loved know how much they mean to us.
    I'll enthusiastically endorse all of this. Says a lot about your Dad that dropping everything and going to be with him, with guitar in hand, is your kneejerk reaction when things get tough. Seems he did a pretty good job raising his kids.

keep us posted, Steve.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts and prayers going out to you and your family, SVL.
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

I hope your Dad gets well.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, I hope your Dad can be without pain with his cancer, I know what you are facing as I lost my Dad to bone cancer which did go to his spine. It great that you are playing for him and spend every minute you can with him.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read this thread a few minutes ago, as I was away from the forum for a while.
    My thoughts are with Steve and family.

SVL, I hope your dad improves, and does not have too much trouble with therapy.
    It is great fro you two to have the music connection!

Does he have friends who could visit him?
    Grandchildren can visit?
    Sometimes folks shy away from people when they get sick, unfortunately.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

Be strong Steve , music coming from the soul is always a good comfort for those who suffer ..

Sending Mojo and hope he gets well ..

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear about your dad, Steve. It sounds like you are of much comfort to him.
    Be well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much everyone. I really appreciate the support. It really makes a difference.

It was a rough weekend. Dad finished his radiation (for now) on Thursday, and the radiation and pain drugs etc. were really making it tough on him. Without going through all the details, we got through the weekend, and things are hopefully at this point starting to look up a little after a very rough and low point type of weekend.

They do have lots of friends and a good support system for when he can get back home.

On the positive side, he really did enjoy a little guitar and companionship. I was really glad I went for the visit. One step at a time at this point. Thanks for your support, love, prayers and encouragement. Really, . . . thanks.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Steve, sorry I missed this til now. As others have said, this isn't just a place we talk about guitars, certainly people have seen more of my stuff here than they probably wanted to! So, especially when it's something serious like this, don't hesitate.

At this point I well know how radiation can take things out of a person, as well as dealing with pain meds. Plus my dad is retired Navy too, so I can relate on multiple levels. Take care, prayers for and mojo to you and all concerned.

Also, if anyone ever needs info or just support as a result of dealing with cancer, I highly recommend the American Cancer Society's "Cancer Survivor Network," which is for not only peeps with C but also caregivers/loved ones:

http://csn.cancer.org/

The site has DOZENS of forums, divided up into various different types of C (for example, I read/post in "head & neck cancer" from time to time), where you can talk to others going through (or who already have gone through) similar experiences. A lot of good info and good mojo there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Steve, sorry I missed this til now. As others have said, this isn't just a place we talk about guitars, certainly people have seen more of my stuff here than they probably wanted to! So, especially when it's something serious like this, don't hesitate.
    You're absolutely right Brian. Although many of the people I know here I know only by username and writing style I feel as though they are friends none the less. We share the little things like new guitars or gear and call them good days. It's only natural to share the real life stuff too ~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks you guys. Brian, I will check out those resources. It is a long road for all involved. He is beginning to improve, but really got nuked, and unfortunately experienced worse than normal collateral damage to his duodenem (sp?) which has hampered his eating. Yesterday, he was finally able to eat solid food after having to be on iv nutrition for a bit, after he had to be re-admitted to the hospital during my visit weekend before last.

He is stable enough again that the oncologist is wanting to get some better answers on the origin of the sarcoma, which even Mayo clinic has not been able to figure out so far by the biopsies to this point. So more biopsies. A PET scan had to be put off for a while due to his being hospitalized, but I think they will get that scheduled again too. On the positive side, the radiation decreased his spine pain enough so that he is off the morphine completely at this point.

The visit was good in the sense that I got to spend some time, play him some songs, and be there when I was needed. Kind of hard being back over here and not able to just drop in and check on things.

Thanks again everyone for the continued support.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear of some improvement, all the best in this battle.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi friends. I had not posted in this thread in a while as the additional news we received was that he was definitely terminal and there was not much to say. Well, Dad passed away just a little while ago. It was peaceful and without trauma. It had become a struggle for him to live, and we did not think he had long. But he was trying to hold out for our annual family visit. I had been back to see him over the last couple months, and we had left nothing unsaid. I will miss him.

Now, I am going to clean my desk, see about getting some extensions on some briefs, and get ready to travel home. Thank you all for your support.

Steve
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers sent for comfort, for you and your family, Steve. I am sorry for your loss.

May your dad rest in peace.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Steve, my deepest sympathy to you and your family.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

condolences and mojo steve....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast