Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal note. Dad is Sick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Personal note. Dad is Sick.

feel a bit conflicted about posting this. I am not one to make a public scene of personal stuff. But I am sad about this, and feel some good can come from sharing it. You guys have been friends since 2006, so I am just going to post this.

On the night we got home from vacation 3 weeks ago, I got an email that something might be wrong with my Dad and he was going in for tests. Friday of that next week, the day I performed at my gig I posted about, I learned it looked serious. He was diagnosed with cancer in his spine, but they didn't know how bad, etc. Turns out it is a form of sarcoma that is affecting some bones in his spine. They cannot pinpoint a source yet, or know exactly what form. Still waiting on biopsy results that were taken a couple weeks ago. They knew enough to start nuking him though.

Now he has just finished 10 days of radiation, and it has been rough. He turns 80 next month, and has been week and vulnerable to normal illness, etc. the last few years. The radiation has not been easy on him, and the morphine they have him on is really messing with him. He is a retired judge and a navy captain, and not one to just enjoy the ride on a drug. Rough on him mentally. Plus the other side effects.

I had thought we were waiting until next month to go see him, after letting him recover a bit from this. They are calling it a hard fight, not sending him home to pack it in. But the road has been harder than we thought, and I am heading over this weekend.

I am getting it together to go visit and just be there for him and Mom, and do what I can. He plays sax, and loves music, as I have posted. So I am bringing a guitar hoping he will enjoy a few chords, and that it will help keep me calmed down too.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing with us. You have plenty of friends here, so it's perfectly alright to post this.

I think playing a blues for him will make him feel better. Just a few chords and a smile, that will do wonders for the soul.

I'm with you and your family in my thoughts.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks Robert. I have a blues in mind that I can use some jazzy voiced chords he will like. Plus "Somewhere over the Rainbow", which I have played with him. And after all, it is a blues from the point of view of a girl from Kansas. He will like that.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I am very sorry to hear about the health problems your Dad and the rest of your family are dealing with with.

In trying to put myself in your shoes - what comes to mind is how much it's going to mean for your dad to see you and spend some time together. When the chips are down and our true friends and family come to comfort us - well that's where strength comes from.

Prepare yourself as much as possible, then go and put a smile on his face as often as you can.

I will pray for your dad's speedy and complete recovery, and for strength and peace for you and your family.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think you are doing the right thing (sharing and visiting). Music creates a great place to heal from, both mentally and physically. Even if he wasn't sick, it is a cool thing to do, just because. Tomorrow is promised to no one, regardless of our age, health, or situation.

My Dad is just a few years younger and while quite healthy, he is more fragile than he will admit. He just had some lower risk skin carcinoma's removed from his ear and neck. He survived a few other rounds of higher risk carcinomas, among other things in the past, but it is hard to not worry.

I really hope your dad kicks this cancer's arse, Steve. As my Dad says of himself, "Bad weeds never die!". I'll be honest, bone cancer in the vertebrae is no picnic. I remember I had a patient in his 20's with advanced bone cancer and his pain required a PCA pump pushing morphine in his spinal column, similar to an epidural used during labor and delivery. Keep on keepin' on, fight the good fight, and together, you, your mom, and your dad will get through this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys. I feel better having shared. Gonna go get some sleep now so I can be ready tomorrow for the trip.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Very sorry to hear that your father's illness requires him to deal with such treatment. I hope things turn out well for him and he doesn't have to go through too much more to get well. My mother, who is nearly 80, overcame cancer almost 5 years ago and I know these things can be tough for everyone involved. Best thoughts Steve, to your father, to you and your family.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, Steve. I'm very sorry to hear that your father is having such a rough fight. Others before me have already said most of the important things, so I'll just say that you, your dad and your family are in my thoughts this evening, and I wish you all strength and peace. Good on ya for going to spend some time and share some music with your dad.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear the news about your dad, Steve. Wishing your dad, you and the rest of the family all the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope things go well with your Dad. You did the right thing going out NOW as tomorrow isn't promised to anybody. Mojo and prayers sent to your Dad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from a 4 day easter holiday trip, checking in here and reading your post. Steve, I am really touched and I honestly feel sorry for your dad. This reminds me of the period I went through when my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer. The small things become the most important. I love your idea of playing some nice Blues for your dad. I am sure you will do beautiful and he will love it. Steve, I cross my fingers for your dad and include him in my prayers. Be strong things will go well. Sharing your thoughts was the right decision.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I hope all goes well with your dad and your family. I lost my father to alzheimer's 4 years ago.
    Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like

You know you have friends here you can always talk to Steve.

My best wishes to your dad and your family as you guys deal with this situation.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

The music idea for your dad is a great one, Steve. Playing can help him focus on something else besides the side effects.

Prayers for strength and comfort in this time for you, your dad, and family have been sent.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Wishing your dad the best for a speedy recovery.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I can add much Steve, but I know how difficult this sort of situation is and I wish the best for you and your father. I'll say that it's a great idea to spend every moment that you can with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, sending good thoughts your way. I feel your situation - my dad is an old Navy guy of the same generation and similar age, and of course you start to worry about them no matter how well they seem to be doing. I can say that there are folks of that generation who are really exceptional people who in many ways (personally, of course, but also globally) gave us the world we live in, and I know I want to hang on to mine! Best wishes to you all.

Ted
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Dad served in the Navy during Korea as well. CPO in the radar shack on destroyers and tenders. Oh, the stories he and guys like him tell! Let's just say he loved Japan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks everyone for the support. I arrived in time to say good night to him. He said he had a good day. My next younger brother was able to come and spend most of the day with him too. He is done with radiation for now, and he rested today. I hung with my brother and my Mom, and just now plugged my tele into my son's little old "Fullerton" SS amph from his fat strat pack. Sounds just fine for some clean chords at low volume and clean single note lines. Mom enjoyed my warming up.

Dad was in the active Navy during the Korean war, and was going to steam out there with the minesweeper division he was in, but was called back. After the war, he went to law school, and stayed in the reserve for years. He was a Captain of destroyers and Commodore of a mine sweeper division out of Tacoma.

Well, I am hoping he will still feel pretty well tomorrow, and start to move about some more, and increase those calories and fluids more. He did a little bit better today. Thanks again guys.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast