Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Agile Lemon Drop Project is finished! New photos 5/27/11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agile Lemon Drop Project is finished! New photos 5/27/11

Post Thanks / Like

Default Agile Lemon Drop Project is finished! New photos 5/27/11

I got this as a birthday present in March, and I almost sent it back due to the mismatched, poorly flamed top. After getting to know her for a while, I decided she was a keeper. I also decided to make this my first Scotchbrite project.

I got some work done today; I used my mouse sander to Scotchbrite the back and sides, installed a Switchcraft USA toggle and my Mullard Tropical Fish caps. I also installed pointers and reflector knobs (actually I installed the knobs a couple weeks ago). Here's how she looks now -

And the back...

It's coming along nicely. I just wish I had more time to work on my projects. I haven't decided for sure, but I think I'm going to install AL3K pickups after I swap the magnets for alnico 4s. At that point, I'll do the Scotchbriting on the front. More that likely, I'll put the pickguard back on after that's all done. I know, I know...but I like guards.

Hope you enjoy the guitar pr0n!

-Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll say that while the pickups are a bit on the harsh side, the action and neck on that one are really nice. It has quite a good feel to it and the new pup's should really set it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    I'll say that while the pickups are a bit on the harsh side, the action and neck on that one are really nice. It has quite a good feel to it and the new pup's should really set it off.
    The pickups do seem a bit warmer with the new caps. Might be just wishful thinking, though.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

BTW, where did you order Switchcraft USA toggle switch? My Epi's switch cuts in and out and I'd
    like to replace it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Perfect!
    Looks so good, it makes me hungry! I like the knobs you put on it. I'd be tempted to leave to pick guard off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Very nice!

BTW, where did you order Switchcraft USA toggle switch? My Epi's switch cuts in and out and I'd
    like to replace it.
    I ordered it from a guy on the Agile forum who has a parts business. Those Switchcraft switches are not cheap, btw. I hope this one outlives me. For the price, it should.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Very nice!

like to replace it.
    I ordered it from a guy on the Agile forum who has a parts business. Those Switchcraft switches are not cheap, btw. I hope this one outlives me. For the price, it should.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

NICE! That guitfiddle is crying out for some black or zebra 'buckers, IMHO. I still love the top on your guitar, especially in the sunlight... and the "poker chip" is awesome, too.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

That's looking really nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, folks. I'm really anxious to get the top done, but it makes more sense to do it when I have my mind made up about pickups. I've been looking at Rose and BG pickups; you can get a set of handwound pickups for less than a set of Duncans. Right now I have a 2 x 12 cab on Craig's List, and if I can sell it I'll put that money toward pickups. I think...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of stuff happening in the FF gear stable, huh? After you get things sorted out with your LPs and pickups, magnets, pots, caps, finishes, etc., you should do a summary. I can't really keep track of all of it.

BTW, what's the deal with the scotchbrite thing? It seems like it's a way to dull the finish slightly, and I'll admit the back of this does look nice in that 4th picture you have up, but what's the process? You just got a new AL-2000 where the guy didn't do it right, didn't you? Is there any way to save that? It looks like a pretty finish, but those scratches on it seem kind of obtrusive right now.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Lots of stuff happening in the FF gear stable, huh? After you get things sorted out with your LPs and pickups, magnets, pots, caps, finishes, etc., you should do a summary. I can't really keep track of all of it.

BTW, what's the deal with the scotchbrite thing? It seems like it's a way to dull the finish slightly, and I'll admit the back of this does look nice in that 4th picture you have up, but what's the process? You just got a new AL-2000 where the guy didn't do it right, didn't you? Is there any way to save that? It looks like a pretty finish, but those scratches on it seem kind of obtrusive right now.
    Even I have trouble keeping track sometimes, Eric. I should do a summary just so I know what's where, and why.

The Scotchbrite thing is indeed a way to slightly dull the finish. The Agiles in particular seem to have a ton of clear poly on them, which can make them look a little "toylike" as some have described it. The first time I heard about people doing this to their beautiful guitars, I was appalled; then I saw the photos of the finished guitars and did a 180 on my opinion. I would say that it is a process that only lends itself to particular finishes and body types. Something about the arched top and the burst seems to be the right combination. I picked up a Black and Decker Mouse Sander a few weeks ago, and it's been the absolute perfect tool for this process. I did all the work on the guitar shown here with that sander, and the finished product is pretty impressive. The trick is to let the sander do all the work, and to be patient (not normally one of my traits).

The other guitar can be saved. I already started on the back, but due to the almost solid color, rather than grain showing, it isn't as pretty as the one in this thread. It doesn't look bad, just not as great. I think the top will look good on that one when I finish it. I still have some minor kinks to work out with the action, and I need to replace the nut, but I think in the end it will be decent. Of course I'll have a thread for that one when I finish as well.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Even I have trouble keeping track sometimes, Eric. I should do a summary just so I know what's where, and why.

The Scotchbrite thing is indeed a way to slightly dull the finish. The Agiles in particular seem to have a ton of clear poly on them, which can make them look a little "toylike" as some have described it. The first time I heard about people doing this to their beautiful guitars, I was appalled; then I saw the photos of the finished guitars and did a 180 on my opinion. I would say that it is a process that only lends itself to particular finishes and body types. Something about the arched top and the burst seems to be the right combination. I picked up a Black and Decker Mouse Sander a few weeks ago, and it's been the absolute perfect tool for this process. I did all the work on the guitar shown here with that sander, and the finished product is pretty impressive. The trick is to let the sander do all the work, and to be patient (not normally one of my traits).

The other guitar can be saved. I already started on the back, but due to the almost solid color, rather than grain showing, it isn't as pretty as the one in this thread. It doesn't look bad, just not as great. I think the top will look good on that one when I finish it. I still have some minor kinks to work out with the action, and I need to replace the nut, but I think in the end it will be decent. Of course I'll have a thread for that one when I finish as well.
    Yeah, I'm still sort of in the appalled camp, so I'm very curious to see your results. What exactly is involved in the process? You just sand the entire thing with the rough side of a sponge and that's it? How did you manage to do that with a mouse sander?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yeah, I'm still sort of in the appalled camp, so I'm very curious to see your results. What exactly is involved in the process? You just sand the entire thing with the rough side of a sponge and that's it? How did you manage to do that with a mouse sander?
    Some do it that way, with the green side of a Scotchbrite sponge. I took the Mouse Sander and cut some Scotchbrite pads to fit it (not the sponges, but the green pads that are like 1/4" thick). As you run the pad over the glossy finish, it clouds up and produces some dust. I just did that a few times, wiping away the dust between sessions. Then I used a gray pad that came in the sander's "scrubbing" kit, which is like a Scotchbrite pad, but less abrasive than the green pads. After that, I used some scratch remover (you can use Scratch X or something similar) with another gray pad, working it in pretty good. After it dried, I wiped it off with a clean soft cloth, and used the "polishing" foam pad with the sander. The photos of the back show the results. It's not completely scratch-free, but you have to get really close and have the right angle of light to see them. It's a satin finish at that point, not completely un-shiny, but very low gloss. More of a subtle satin-like luster.

Hope that answers your question. There's tutorials out there, especially on the My Les Paul forum, but I just asked the guy that I thought got the best results. Pretty simple really, just a little time consuming.

I'm going to leave the front of the headstock alone, because I don't think it'd look right without the gloss. It's also a solid color, and those don't come out as nice as a semi-transparent finish.
    -Sean

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

If that is as "glossy:" as it gets in the sun, I would leave it. The back looks good so far, but that is a flat open surface. I think you will be into a lot of work for little gain on the front of the guitar. I had to do that to one of my collector cars. The first time I touched the sandpaper to the clear coat, I though Oh Oh if continue I am looking at a refinish, but as you said after the lesser degrees of grit and the polish it came up even better with more shine. But that is what I was going for.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    If that is as "glossy:" as it gets in the sun, I would leave it. The back looks good so far, but that is a flat open surface. I think you will be into a lot of work for little gain on the front of the guitar. I had to do that to one of my collector cars. The first time I touched the sandpaper to the clear coat, I though Oh Oh if continue I am looking at a refinish, but as you said after the lesser degrees of grit and the polish it came up even better with more shine. But that is what I was going for.
    The photos don't really impart the true nature of the glossiness of the front. It's quite glossy. From the photos, it sort of looks like there's not much difference between the front and back, when in reality there's a very noticeable difference. This shot below may give a better idea of the front:
    -Sean

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

It does look a little glossy but not bad. I find it amusing how I have seen threads about guys who bought the Gibson Faded Les pauls and they are buffing the heck out of them to make them shiny, and you are doing the exact opposite. I know the finish you are going for. The Vintage series of guitars have an Icon series lemon drop and it has that type of finish. It lookes aged. I do like the color of that guitar though. I see you have it in your Rondo Case. I am still in Maine and I have not had a chance to try my LP in mine.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

FF, It looks awesome so far. Please keep us posted.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jimi. I did get the rest of the guitar done, as far as the Scotchbrite treatment. I decided not to do the front of the headstock, as it's gloss black and I don't think that would look good dulled. The tuners are off, and I have Kluson Keystone clones on the way. I also have my first set of hand wound custom pickups on the way for this (or at least they should be on the way soon. I'm a little concerned about that), some Sin PAF clones. I opted for the Alnico II set, since I love the sound of my Gibson 57s in my Tribute LP. I'll try to remember to take some updated photos tonight.
    -Sean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast