Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
Even I have trouble keeping track sometimes, Eric. I should do a summary just so I know what's where, and why.

The Scotchbrite thing is indeed a way to slightly dull the finish. The Agiles in particular seem to have a ton of clear poly on them, which can make them look a little "toylike" as some have described it. The first time I heard about people doing this to their beautiful guitars, I was appalled; then I saw the photos of the finished guitars and did a 180 on my opinion. I would say that it is a process that only lends itself to particular finishes and body types. Something about the arched top and the burst seems to be the right combination. I picked up a Black and Decker Mouse Sander a few weeks ago, and it's been the absolute perfect tool for this process. I did all the work on the guitar shown here with that sander, and the finished product is pretty impressive. The trick is to let the sander do all the work, and to be patient (not normally one of my traits).

The other guitar can be saved. I already started on the back, but due to the almost solid color, rather than grain showing, it isn't as pretty as the one in this thread. It doesn't look bad, just not as great. I think the top will look good on that one when I finish it. I still have some minor kinks to work out with the action, and I need to replace the nut, but I think in the end it will be decent. Of course I'll have a thread for that one when I finish as well.
Yeah, I'm still sort of in the appalled camp, so I'm very curious to see your results. What exactly is involved in the process? You just sand the entire thing with the rough side of a sponge and that's it? How did you manage to do that with a mouse sander?