Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD --- actually new old guitar day

Thread: NGD --- actually new old guitar day

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD --- actually new old guitar day

Fed Ex brought me a new friend today ~
    I decided to sell my 93 LP Deluxe Goldtop when I saw this Fender Elite Flame listed for sale at TGP. I have a few LP's and that one didn't get much playtime. These set neck Fenders were made in Japan in '84. It's got Schaller humbuckers with a coil tap switch and TBX tone controls. Schaller roller bridge and stop bar with micro tuners. Nice comfortable carve at the neck joint for gettin' up high

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's really nice! How do those Schaller pickups sound? That's such a step outside what I normally associate Fender with. I love it!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've never seen one before. That is one cool guitar! I love the shape and details.
    Looking forward to a demo of it, Bob.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar. Congrats. I really like the position markers. Very tasteful.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a beaut, Bob. Congratulations!
    Headstock is pretty cool and decidedly unfenderish. Looking forward to hearing how she plays.

Post Thanks / Like

That's like what the Robin Ford model was based on, right?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool OTP! Like everyone else, looking forward to the video! Interested in hearing what you do with those p'ups. Higher gain than the run of the mill HB's, no?
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! And those amphs in the background aren't bad either.

Post Thanks / Like

congrats that one is a keeper
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same guitar in the Master Series. Fender dicontinued the Elite series, and resurrected it as the Squier Esprit a few years later. It came with Pewter hardware to make it look aged, and Duncan Design Humbuckers. It has their version of the JB in the bridge and the 59 in the neck. A different headstock, and chambered body. They were made in Korea by Cort, and they have since been discontinued. Mine is in Antique burst. A really nice guitar.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Now I have something new to try and find on the local Craig's Lists...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good lookin' color there Zman. While poking around the net trying to find info on these I read that although not that many were made it seems like a lot ended up in Canada and in the midwest USA.
    So far I'm enjoying the guitar a lot. The buckers are a bit thicker and darker than what I'm used to. I usually wire humbuckers up 50's style to keep some treble at partial volumes. But this guitar has a lot going on with the TBX (I think it stands for Treble Bass Expander) circuit and I don't know enough to try and fiddle around in there. Besides, I'd like to be able to keep it all stock. I've been trying to find the sweet spot for adjustment of the pickups. There's obviously going to be a considerable difference between the coil split sounds and the humbucker sounds but I'm hoping to get them adjusted to where they each sound good but I don't have to scramble to correct the tone when changing between coil split and 'bucker modes.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I've never seen a fender like that - VERY nice. I like the neck inlay's too. '84 - looks to have survived the years well!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

that is cool! I have never seen one before! I like those "Martin" style snowflake markers too! Fender borrowed a bit on this guitar, but in a cool looking way!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    That's a good lookin' color there Zman. While poking around the net trying to find info on these I read that although not that many were made it seems like a lot ended up in Canada and in the midwest USA.
    So far I'm enjoying the guitar a lot. The buckers are a bit thicker and darker than what I'm used to. I usually wire humbuckers up 50's style to keep some treble at partial volumes. But this guitar has a lot going on with the TBX (I think it stands for Treble Bass Expander) circuit and I don't know enough to try and fiddle around in there. Besides, I'd like to be able to keep it all stock. I've been trying to find the sweet spot for adjustment of the pickups. There's obviously going to be a considerable difference between the coil split sounds and the humbucker sounds but I'm hoping to get them adjusted to where they each sound good but I don't have to scramble to correct the tone when changing between coil split and 'bucker modes.
    Many years ago I found an instructional Tape "Playing the Blues" by Robben Ford. He was playing an Elite. It was a 3 color burst. It had such a nice tone and I was also looking to buy one, they were priced very high, and when the Esprit came out, I was all over it. The only thing with them is that they are hard to find a case for. They are too wide for an LP case and just a little under a 335 in bout width. I would expect yours came with a case. The Esprit does not have a coil splitter. The Duncan Design pickups are really nice.
    In the picture your neck joint is exactly like the Esprit. They are quite a heavy guitar even with the chambering.
    I have the Fender Frontlines (Fenders Catalogue) going back to 1996 but I don't see one with that inlays like yours.
    In 2003 I don't see it listed, then in 2005 they have a "new" Esprit.
    This blurb went with it.
    "The Esprit was first introduced by Fender in 1983 as part of the Master Series.The series was introduced to offer instruments that would appeal to a broader base of guitarists. "
    It was moved to the custom shop and came in 3 levels. The Robben Ford Ultra SP, Robben Ford ultra Fm and the Robben Ford Elite FM. The top two levels had ebony boards and the lower level was Pao ferro.
    Is yours an 84? At one point the Squier Esprits were going for 399 a MF. I got mine in Canada, and I have not seen another here for sale since. Mine is a 2005.
    I think you have a true collectors item.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

This one is an '84. No, I didn't get a case with this one. The guy sent along a pretty nice TKL padded gig bag. I read somewhere when they were discontinued that they sold off what was left without cases.
    I remember that Robben Ford video : ) I was disappointed that RF model wasn't available, it looked interesting. I have had my eye out for one similar ever since
    There's some good info on the early ones at this link
    http://www.masterseriesguitars.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote to Fender when they put the Squiers out and they actually came up with a part number for a case. It was in the 150 to 200 range in 2005 so I passed. I have mine in a classical case. We tried every case they had in the shop, and this was the only one that fit. It is about 3 inches too deep so I keep a foam pillow for when I travel. I was told the Sammick Royale case will fit. It is a smaller sized semi hollow guitar. I had a computer geek friend of mine convert the tape's audio to a cd.
    I use it occasionally to refresh my playing. To us old guys 84 doesn't seem that long ago, but you have a 27 year old guitar.
    Like us, almost an antique!
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's put a little blues on the menu from our favorite strap maker...

More here at his channel