Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
MXR "Custom BadAss" '78 Distortion

Thread: MXR "Custom BadAss" '78 Distortion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default MXR "Custom BadAss" '78 Distortion

you can enter to win one here. Also can watch a vid demo and read a bit about it.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/contest/cus...m_medium=email

I don't know, sounds a lot like a RAT clone to me, and I have the best one of those made already. The 1978 moniker and indication it was built on an old school classic design kind of makes it seem like it might be MXR's version of a Rat too. Like I said, my Rabid Rodent can already well cover this territory. But if I win, Derek gets a new pedal. Whadaya you guys think about this thing?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I bought one and I slap dab love it. Got rid of my Satchurator and my Proco Solo. Has exactly the sound I was wanting.....this week.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    I don't know, sounds a lot like a RAT clone to me, and I have the best one of those made already. The 1978 moniker and indication it was built on an old school classic design kind of makes it seem like it might be MXR's version of a Rat too. Like I said, my Rabid Rodent can already well cover this territory. But if I win, Derek gets a new pedal. Whadaya you guys think about this thing?
    Yeah, you nailed it, Steve. It's a Rat clone with a button switch to go back and forth between standard (silicon diode) and Turbo Rat (LED) clipping modes. They may have played with the EQ stage a bit or some of the cap & resistor ratings to tweak the tone, but it sure sounds like a Rat to me....not that that's a bad thing! ProCo introduced the original Rat in 1978, so that's pretty clearly where the name is coming from.

And, yes, you do have the best one of those made....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post

And, yes, you do have the best one of those made....
    Yes I do. Since I love the LED distortion mode on the Rodent, and liked it in the vid, that makes sense too. I am enjoying your other settings too though. And of course it has those sweet OD settings too!

Perfect Stranger, I am glad you like yours, especially since DVM is not making pedals at the moment. It (the MXR) sounds like a good pedal.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    ....especially since DVM is not making pedals at the moment.
    Ummm, not quite accurate. I'm still building pedals from my backlog (AAMOF, I built two Rodents over the weekend) but have not been formally accepting new orders for after June. HOWEVER (breaking new flash!), I'm in the process of finalizing an arrangement with an experienced electronics guy to take over the actual DVM pedal construction while I would continue to handle the order taking/customer service, parts procurement, tech. support, design tweaks, etc. So don't count DVM pedals out quite yet....
    Last edited by duhvoodooman; May 10th, 2011 at 07:17 PM. Reason: fixxed meye spelingg
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Ummm, not quite accurate. I'm still building pedals from my backlog (AAMOF, I built two Rodents over the weekend) but have not been formally accepting new orders for after June. HOWEVER (breaking new flash!), I'm in the process of finalizing an arrangement with an experienced electronics guy to take over the actual DVM pedal construction while I would continue to handle the order taking/customer sevice, parts procurement, tech. support, design tweaks, etc. So don't count DVM pedals out quite yet....
    Awesome news.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, great! Glad to clear up that misconception that I apparently had, and to provide an opp for you to spread the new news!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson