Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Wheeee!

Thread: Wheeee!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wheeee!

We finally got a break in the weather so I went for a group ride with the guys. I did this solo. If I would have had a wheel to jump off of I might have made it to 55 mph. Maybe next time.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

THAT's some serious ridin' !!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yaaa-hooo! Welcome back to riding.

That's my all time bike speed record for uphill.
    OK, just kidding! I did max in the mid-50's once, but that was in 1989 descending down a long, steep hill in Central Texas. I heard someone was life-flighted out later on the same hill, which got me thinking about the potential price for failure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tig View Post
    that's my all time bike speed record for uphill.
    DUDE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that's impressive! I used to ride a MTB to and from work for a year or so and I would never see close to that. I felt like I was superman when I overtook cars who were stuck doing 40KPH (24MPH)

The one thing about the picture that made me chuckle is the "AT" symbol. Most times I see that it means Automatic Transmission, so I had a little vision of you riding along with some kind of 27 speed auto

Post Thanks / Like

Spudman, you wouldn't be much more than a pile of tater tots if something bad happened at that kind of speed.

'Bet it was some kind of rush though, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    Spudman, you wouldn't be much more than a pile of tater tots if something bad happened at that kind of speed.

'Bet it was some kind of rush though, huh?
    I'd be mashed taters and burger if I launched at that speed. I probably wouldn't survive...so I try not to think about it. And yes, it's a huge rush. Although, 60 mph is when the prayers start.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, I don't know if I would have the nerve now but 40 years ago I was able to reach 52 on my bike and yes it was downhill in a race on open road, I thought I would die before I got the thing slowed down, my tire went flat in the next curve but I was slowed down a lot by then. Glad you were able to tell your story and not let us read about it later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My race wheels were usually tubular/sew-ups. Prolonged braking can soften up the glue and cause catastrophic tire to rim separation. Luckily I never had long descents like you do in Idaho.

The time I was going mid-50's had a little dangerous element to it...
    I was in the opposing lane! Exiting a state park, I passed 2 riders at the top of the long hill and moved to the oncoming lane to do so safely. You could see a mile down the road. Well, next thing I know, I'm flying down that road, looking over at the yellow lane reflectors in the middle of the road like they were the size of bricks if I hit one at that speed! Then I see the oncoming truck at the bottom of the hill, still a ways off, but the relative closing speed means it will be on me soon. I brake down to the low 40's and pull a small bunny hop over the reflectors, mouth tasting the adrenaline, chest thumping. Yet another crash prevented by MTB skills!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by street music View Post
    Glad you were able to tell your story and not let us read about it later.
    I've actually been going fast for years. It's just that I've never had any internet friends to share it with before.

Bunny hops are life savers at times for sure Tig. I got my bad *** reputation a long time ago by showing my bunny skills to the road pack when I told them I would bunny hop the garbage bag in the road up ahead. It turned out to be a dog that had gotten run over. Ever since then I've been labeled "hard core." I do like some adrenalin from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I dub thee, "Spud Dawg" (not to be confused with Spuds McKenzie).

I learned to bunny hop cattle guards when doing century rides out in the country. Takes speed. Must be a Texas thang I guess... cattle guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Are bicycles really supposed to go that fast?
    I don't know, but testosterone fueled, endorphin filled skinny guys in lycra sure do like to go that fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I dub thee, "Spud Dawg" (not to be confused with Spuds McKenzie).

I learned to bunny hop cattle guards when doing century rides out in the country. Takes speed. Must be a Texas thang I guess... cattle guards.

There are cattle guards out here on the back dirt roads we ride MTB on this time of year, and some of the single track. I have gone fast on a road bike, but I don't think that fast. I really should put some computers back on my bikes to see. Spud, you are slowing down. Last time you posted a pic like that, I think it did show 55!

Oh, and quit talking about your lycra. This is a family forum. After seeing the "masters" folk come back out thinking they are Lance, I am ready to have a shirt printed up: "White Kits are Just Wrong." Not that you have one of those, mind you. (you don't, do you?).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Spud, you are slowing down. Last time you posted a pic like that, I think it did show 55!
    It was 49 mph. Winter weight pulls faster. Hence the 54 mph.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I've actually been going fast for years. It's just that I've never had any internet friends to share it with before.

Bunny hops are life savers at times for sure Tig. I got my bad *** reputation a long time ago by showing my bunny skills to the road pack when I told them I would bunny hop the garbage bag in the road up ahead. It turned out to be a dog that had gotten run over. Ever since then I've been labeled "hard core." I do like some adrenalin from time to time.
    I remember bunny-hopping over a rattlesnake once. I was hauling down this canyon through some brush and all of a sudden there it was! Yeah, that was a life-saver moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nah, he would have just missed you and got his head snapped off in the spokes. Or that is what I tell myself when the snakes start to come out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    I remember bunny-hopping over a rattlesnake once. I was hauling down this canyon through some brush and all of a sudden there it was! Yeah, that was a life-saver moment.
    Snakes are scary. They scare me more than going fast. You did "the snake bunny."