Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favorite female vocalists?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Your favorite female vocalists?

It might be interesting to share and hear other's choices for favorite female vocalists. List as many as you'd like, any genre, etc.
    I may not enjoy the music of some vocalists, but the voices can't be discounted. I wonder how many I'll read and think, "How did I forget her?"

For soul/R&B, I've always loved Aretha Franklin. Such a powerful, soulful voice. There are so many great soul/R&B women, we could dedicate a thread just for them.

For jazz, I think Lena Horne comes to mind first. Ella Fitzgerald has to be mentioned as well.

For rock, I like Ann Wilson of Heart. She sounds better now than in the 70's. Strong pipes with a voice that is incredible. I also liked Grace Slick when she backed off the power. I can't forget Pat Benatar and her multi-octave voice.

Stage and opera goes to Sarah Brightman. When I hear anyone else try to sing any Phantom of the Opera songs, they come up short by a mile. Simply one of the most beautiful voices ever.

Speaking of most beautiful voices, Barbra Streisand, The Voice.

Annie Lennox. Period.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some new stuff for most of you...probably.

Floor Jansen gets me going. She's got a heck of a range and kicks booty. She's on the top of my list.

This is a duet she does with her sister Irene. They sing beautifully together.

Simone Simons of Epica is great too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Vy73...eature=related This is a beautiful acoustic number.

Heather Findlay from Mostly Autumn is great too. Her voice is just beautiful.

This is a song she does with James Labrie from Dream Theater

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite female vocalist of any genre is Etta James.

Honorable mention:

Emmylou Harris
    Neko Case
    Alison Krauss
    Bessie Smith
    Nina Simone
    Sharon Jones
    Alexis Krauss (Sleigh Bells)
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    My favorite female vocalist of any genre is Etta James.
    Great choice! I really need to dig deeper into her recordings.

Sadly, she is in the hospital for a blood infection and UTI. I read that she is also suffering from leukemia and dementia. We'll likely never see her sing on a stage again. Hopefully she'll pull through.

Post Thanks / Like

Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde. One of the best voices for rock ever.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I'll have to skip a couple since Spud's already posted Floor and Simone...

Charlotte Wessells:

Marcela Bovio:

(sorry for the bad audio quality, it's the only one I could find...)

Anneke van Giersbergen:

Vibeke Stene:
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Nina Persson from the Swedish group The Cardigans is also a favorite of mine.

She looks great with some makeup too in this video with Tom Jones.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuFI...feature=fvwrel

Post Thanks / Like

Tibernius - Charlotte Wessells! Wow, I hadn't heard of her or the band. Thanks.

I'm glad to see you like Anneke too. In the past I've felt she was a little inconsistent and only got one of their albums. What album is your video from? I really like it.

Vibeke has a heck of a range too. I didn't know about her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lots of great choices already. I don't disagree with any here, though I am not sure about Grace Slick. I got tired of her in the late '80s. Etta, Ann Wilson, Nina Persson are some of my favorites from the above list. 'Retha I like but in measure, same with Ella.

Some others:
    Brandi Carlile - That girl can rock, can croon, can belt it out, and can sadly whisper. She is great live.
    Nathalie Merchant (I like that sultry coffee house thing)
    Kim Deal (The Breeders) good stuff, love that punky rock snarl.
    Bonnie Raitt - has that weary blues thing down and can sure pull a heart string

I could keep thinking of many others if I kept going. I love a good female voice. One sub-genre I always enjoyed was the voice of the 80's girl band groups. I don't even know their names mostly. Of course there is Belinda Carlile, but also the girl from "The Waitresses", Nena, "Bow Wow Wow", Romeo Void, Blondie, (ok 70s but whatever) etc. Heck, I was in my late teens and they were like singing to me from the TV. LOL! OK, not the "favorite" female vocalist of all time, but these women deserve to be remembered darn it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Marian Call. She is my cousin's daughter, but she is dang good. Stanford Chorale, and degree in composition and vocal performance. Huge range, really cool note choice due to all that training, building some good sultry heart and soul as she adds years to her young life. I bet she will be really good.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    Johnette Napolitano of Concrete Blonde. One of the best voices for rock ever.
    Excellent! I love her voice.
    She is one of those "how did I forget her?" vocalists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nathalie Merchant -Yep, her voice has a unique, velvety texture and style.

Bonnie Raitt -Excellent.

Post Thanks / Like

Lisa Kekaula (Hawaiian - Cay-cow-lah)

Post Thanks / Like

Andra Faye of Sapphire-The Uppity Blues Women. She can do gutsy blues or the old Patsy Kline standard, CRAZY. Damn good fiddle, mandolin and bass player too.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a HUGE fan of female vocals. I like them to be distinct.

Janis Joplin
    Sinead O'Connor
    Ashley Cleveland
    Aretha Franklin
    Mahalia Jackson
    Shirley Ceasar
    Johnette Napolitano from Concrete Blonde
    Jewel
    Etta James
    Ruth Brown
    Grace Slick (her early stuff)
    Patsy Cline
    Reba
    Susan Tedeschi
    Anita Baker
    Patti LaBelle
    Mavis Staples
    Allison Crowe
    Shirley Manson of Garbage
    Stevie Nicks
    Amy Lee from Evanescence
    Rhonda Vincent
    Alice Cooper
    Molly Hatchet ..wait a minute... I'm getting carried away.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Been listening to a lot of Sharon Jones lately. Also Jill Scott. I really liked Lauryn Hill in both the Fugees and post-breakdown on her 2-disc live unplugged set (much more gravelly voice, understated but deep). Annie Lennox always had a voice I really loved also. Linda Perry was great with the 4 Non Blondes. PJ Harvey was great. I never liked Joan Jett but I always wished I did. Pat Benetar was my childhood crush.

I love working in bands with female vocalists too - I'm in one now where we are splitting vocal duties and it works out fantastically - really gives us a lot of breathing room when writing a vocal parts.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

How could I forget Maria McKee?!! This KNOCKS ME OUT!

Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Stevie Knicks and J.Joplin were some favs. of mine. Bonnie Rait, Grace,Pat,Ann were some good ones also.I also have a guilty pleasure for loving Jewel.I know Tig bite your lip brother!!

J. Jett and Lita ford what can I say, both together in the Runaways and solo...hubba hubba!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah - forgot to throw in Carla Bozulich.

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Hound View Post
    How could I forget Maria McKee?!! This KNOCKS ME OUT!

If you like Ms. McKee, I highly recommend Neko Case.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast