Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Your favorite female vocalists? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite female vocalists?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius View Post

While I'm here, I forgot a really obvious one last time:

Christina Scabbia:
    +1 on Lacuna Coil & Christina Scabbia. Great voice and easy on the eyes.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Anita Baker.
    Great voice, real person, sweet and warm personality.

Not sure what she is up to now.
    A live perfomance, up here, back early 90's was just a fun, fun evening, as the fan audience absolutely adored her -and whoever was not a fan yet became one!
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by poodlesrule View Post
    Anita Baker.
    Yes, an incredible voice!
    If you like her, check out Phyllis Hyman. She died 16 years ago, but we still have her music.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Look for True Love, not True Blue.

Post Thanks / Like

Good stuff here.

My all-time favorite is Ann Wilson.

I'm getting to like K.T. Tunstall. Our band is even covering some of her stuff.

It's been pretty cool playing in a band with two female vocalists. They both have awesome voices.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Good stuff here.

My all-time favorite is Ann Wilson.
    Good call. I think she sings Led Zeppelin live better than Robert Plant ever did. Her voice seems to get stronger as she gets older.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Are we seriously on the third page of this thread with no mention of Grace Potter?
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

The lady I credit with getting me into the blues without me even knowing it... long before I heard BB King's version:

Of course, there's:

Daisy DeBolt of Fraser & DeBolt. Only video of her I've seen:

And I love Yoko. Many don't. Who couldn't love this video?

And of course many others, many mentioned here already. I've always been into female vocalists more than any other type of musician, so a real list would have to be extremely long. Nina Simone, Marianne Faithfull, and Janis Joplin would definitely be at the top (with Judy.)

Post Thanks / Like

Great timing: This just came in my Wolfgang's Vault newsletter, Legendary Ladies of Rock http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/playli...t-2239818.html Has Martha Reeves, Lesley Gore, Mary Wells, Shirley Alston Reeves, Freda Payne, Brenda Lee, and Ronnie Spector.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Queen of the Blues KoKo Taylor!,and Candye Kane.There are a lot here I've never heard of and they are very good.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

There's another that, truth be told, is my favourite singer. Ryann Donnelly, formerly of the band Schoolyard Heroes. She's got an incredible voice and probably the largest range I've heard from any non-operatic singer.

However, their songs are in a genre of music that is definitely not to most people's taste: Horror Punk (think bands like the Cramps and the Misfits). That's why I didn't mention her before.

If you're interested, check out pretty much anything off the "Abominations" album; most of it's on youtube.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius View Post
    There's another that, truth be told, is my favourite singer. Ryann Donnelly, ....

However, their songs are in a genre of music that is definitely not to most people's taste: Horror Punk (think bands like the Cramps and the Misfits). That's why I didn't mention her before.
    Hey, there are no rules so feel free to mention anyone you're into.
    (I'm not worried about any Lady Gaga or Brittany Spears entries!)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Hey, there are no rules so feel free to mention anyone you're into.
    (I'm not worried about any Lady Gaga or Brittany Spears entries!)
    Actually, Tig, I found a redeemable quality in Lady Gaga--evidently she's a huge Iron Maiden fan, so she's got that going for her. With her, Spears, Madonna, et al, it's more about the schtick than the vocal talent anyway.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I am getting into Lady Gaga, but wouldn't consider her a great voice. A great curiosity.
    Carla Bozulich is awesome.
    Anyone mention Edith Piaf yet? Marlene Dietrich? Ute Lemper, for that matter?

Anyone heard of Canadian singer Oh Susanna? Sort of in the Neko Case area, I think. This video's good but the album to look for (with this song) is "Johnstown." Not a bad song on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The person that she is, I have no problem with. All the people who have met her or know her say she's a wonderful person.
    The music and over the top production, on the other hand, well... I'll be nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Her career was brief, but I love the vocals of Betty Davis (nee Betty Mabry), former wife of Miles Davis.

She had the attitude to sell funk in a way others couldn't touch and a session band culled from members of Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station and the Tower of Power horn section, not to mention Neal Schon on guitar and the Pointer Sisters on backing vocals.

It was Mabry who introduced Miles to the work of Sly and Jimi which impacted greatly on his own music. For that I owe her a debt of gratitude as she started the ball rolling towards the eventual Miles bands featuring Pete Cosey on guitar.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I just remembered Joni Mitchell (from the Canadians thread)!

She has quite a voice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From the How Did I Forget? department:

Chrissie Hynde

Post Thanks / Like

Heres an awesome female singer from DownUnder, "Renee Geyer" It's a Man's Man's World.
    http://youtu.be/MAUXvEfLzlg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast