Thread: Surf Settings for Peavey Vypyr 15

Post Thanks / Like

Default Surf Settings for Peavey Vypyr 15

Hi All,

I have a Peavey Vypyr 15 that I am trying to emulate a surf guitar sound with. Guitar is a MIM Fender Fat Strat. I've bumped reverb all the way up. Not sure what else to do. Oh yeah, I'm playing on the neck single coil. Should I be?

Thanks!
    RIG 1:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony G-400 SG "Fast Eddie"
    Amplifier: Peavey Vypyr 15
    Effects: I think the amplifier has a bunch built in....

RIG 2:
    Guitar: Epiphone Ebony Dreadnought "Cinder"
    Amplifier: Big Hole in Center of Guitar
    Effects: Various Picks & Gnarled Fingers

:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Set it to the emulation of one of the Fender amphs like maybe the Twin, and play with the EQ is all I can think of. Maybe go to Peavey's site. I think they have some info there or maybe even a user forum.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Set it to the emulation of one of the Fender amphs like maybe the Twin, and play with the EQ is all I can think of. Maybe go to Peavey's site. I think they have some info there or maybe even a user forum.
    Thanks for the advice! That does help a little. I have gone to Peavey's site and have not had much luck finding the settings I'm looking for. Guess I'll keep searching.
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

You can, but I would recommend using the bridge/middle combo. If your Strat is newer than 2006, it will split the coils of the bridge humbucker. You'll get twangier, surfier sounds that way.

Nothing says that you can't experiment, though... try 'em all!
    Last edited by Katastrophe; May 20th, 2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: 'cuz it was waaaay too early in the morining when I typed this!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    You can, but I would recommend using the bridge/middle combo. If your Strat is newer than 2006, it will split the coils of the bridge humbucker. You'll get twangier, surfier sounds that way.

Nothing says that you can't experiment, though... try 'em all!
    It's a 2009 model. Are you suggesting using the humbucker for surf?
    RIG 1:

RIG 2:

:

Post Thanks / Like

Typically, a Jazzmaster or traditional Strat with single coils in the bridge work best for surf, IMO... Since your Strat has a bridge humbucker, I'd use position 2 on the selector for a split bridge / middle pickup combo. It should get you pretty close to the tone you're looking for.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Search for and get a reverb pedal designed especially for surf guitar sounds. There are a few out there specifically for this purpose. The Fender '63 Reverb pedal, I think, is supposed to emulate the outboard tube reverb unit that Fender still makes I believe. Surf reverb is another "holy grail" type sound that people spend a lot of time and money trying to capture. I wouldn't expect to find it in an inexpensive general purpose multi tasking amp, without using outboard effects. Search for Surf guitar reverb and they will return you a few specific pedals and reverb units that are considered to be good in obtaining this sound; some much more costly than others.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

If the sound you are looking for was done in the past with a stand alone reverb like the Fender 6G15 http://www.kbapps.com/audio/schemati...everb6g15.html the reverb in the amp will probably come up short. With the stand alone you can dial the output to being all reverb no dry signal. The mix in the amp will usually be approx 50% dry 50% reverb at the maximum due to in some cases feedback problems if the reverb signal is taken too high. So as Duffy stated in that case a pedal or possibly modification of the amp would be what you need to get the tone you want.