Thread: UFO WALTER Bass Solo

Post Thanks / Like

Default UFO WALTER Bass Solo

If you haven't seen this guy before check this video out, pretty hot bit of bass I reckon,
    Ufo play's with Randy Hansen, Buddy Miles, Santana etc.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRsmuT0N288
    Last edited by The Fender Bender; May 21st, 2011 at 06:29 AM. Reason: link

Post Thanks / Like

Except it doesn't sound like a bass solo. He's clearly talented, certainly many orders of magnitude greater than I, but I wonder why you'd want to make the bass sound like a guitar. When I think of bass solos, I tend to think of this:

Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

What's he using? Some sort of up-octave device?

I agree with Marnold that it's actually a guitar solo piece.

I guess I more appreciate the rhythmic aspects of the bass. Especially in solos.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Except it doesn't sound like a bass solo. He's clearly talented, certainly many orders of magnitude greater than I, but I wonder why you'd want to make the bass sound like a guitar. When I think of bass solos, I tend to think of this:

Awesome!

Thanks Marnold!

It seems that most great bass players have that bouncing knee.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey marnold, I'm not a bass player mate but yes I get your drift does sound more like a lead solo, but still pretty horn playing.
    Louis Johnson is a very talented bass man too.
    Good to see some bass playing videos on the FretNet.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Fender Bender View Post
    Hey marnold, I'm not a bass player mate but yes I get your drift does sound more like a lead solo, but still pretty horn playing.
    Louis Johnson is a very talented bass man too.
    Good to see some bass playing videos on the FretNet.
    Got that right. I do find it interesting when people try to expand the boundaries of what you expect from an instrument. Took me a little while to wrap my head around the fact that the guitar-like noises were what he was playing on his bass.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn