Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Amphs in the wind..all we are is..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amphs in the wind..all we are is..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amphs in the wind..all we are is..

I've been twisting in the crosscurrents of my various & sundry desires--what should I beg St Nick to haul down my chimney this winter?

I was going to post this under the aegis of the rather chewy phrase "Culminating an Appreciation" recently forged at the Nelskie Mint. Which I think is a rough synonym for GAS and is loosely translated here as "Buying a Cab."

I am not certain that a cab is what I want---those damnable winds again---but I have penned a bestseller titled:

"If I were to buy a cab, here's what I would have bought."

Or rather "what should I buy?"

The cab would be to give the AD30VT more room to breath and to make a nice little nest for a future baby Valve Jr head. The missus hinted that she might be "with child".

So...

1) 2 x 12? 4 x 10?
    2) Avatar, Earcandy,...?
    3) Celestions, Emminence...?
    4) 30 watt, 60,..more?
    5) I guess that I would need 8 Ohm, but is that correct?

Thanks & happy chimney stuffing and other assorted holiday activities!
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; November 20th, 2006 at 08:27 AM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Number 2) - Avatar in 2x12.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Number 2) - Avatar in 2x12.
    I was thinking of just that.

This'll be played in my basement so I can't really crank it.

I don't know the basic differences between a 2x12 and a 4x10. OK, I know the former has two 12' speakers while the latter has four ten inch ones.

What I don't know is the how their sound characteristics differ & whether one needs to crank them up to the point of having the cones distort in order to hear the difference.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that 4x10s could be tighter in the low end. At least from a bass player's point of view. I'd think the same of a guitar running through it although I think 2x12s are better voiced for a more midrangy instrument like a crankin' electric. I would say that 2x12s will produce more frequency range with a guitar. A 4x12 sound is monsterous though...projects like no other. I really liked the sound of oldguy's Avatar cab. I think Robert has one too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

2x12. It will be the most tonally flexible and portable bang for the buck. Can be wired in stereo too for use with 2 amph heads.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    2x12. It will be the most tonally flexible and portable bang for the buck. Can be wired in stereo too for use with 2 amph heads.
    I never would have thought of that. Would I need a A/B/Y box to use two heads through the same cab?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    I never would have thought of that. Would I need a A/B/Y box to use two heads through the same cab?
    Not if the cab is wired for stereo operation (two input jacks).
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Not if the cab is wired for stereo operation (two input jacks).
    But I would need a stereo guitar or a Y-cable or someway to get the signal from my guitar to the two heads first wouldn't I?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

But I would need a stereo guitar or a Y-cable or someway to get the signal from my guitar to the two heads first wouldn't I?
    An A/B/Y box would do it. A "Y" cable from the guitar to two amps isn't a good idea. You can run into nasty ground loop issues with it and it saps signal strength. A good A/B/Y box will isolate the outputs from each other and the guitar to eliminate that. I use a Framptone amp switcher and it's very transparent.

There are also effects that split to stereo. My Boss chorus does.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanky Spanky!

Mind if I ask a few more questions?

Open back or closed? I'm think open, I don't need to project in my basement.

Watts? The wattage issue really confuses me. I'll be using my AD30VT (after I wire in a speaker out) and a Valve Jr. My guess is that the lower wattage the speakers are rated for the easier it will be for these amps to drive them. Is that correct?

I'm searching the net for a site that explains such arcana.

Post'em if you've got'em.

Vood, I'm looking at you!

Thanks!

I just found this:

AMP Wattage!

Please understand one thing. Most amps are rated for their advertised RMS wattage at clean signals. On most amps that's going to be at 2 on the volume knob. So your 100 watt Marshall puts out 100 watts at 2. You like to play it at 7, and if your amp is healthy, that's when it puts out 150-180 watts (or more). The guys at Marshall knew what they were doing when they put the "100" logo in the corner of the cabs, but that still meant that you needed two of them to handle a 100 watt amp that put out 180 watts at the levels you set the amp! Get your amp tested for it's real output wattage, no one likes the smell of a melted speaker, OK? Always figure you need twice your RMS wattage in speaker power handling to safely run your amp on 10.

If you get two 30 watt speakers to run with your 50 watt amp, and dime it, they'll be good to go for awhile. I don't know what timeframe "awhile" is. I've safely done it for 2 hours straight, without issues. I have not done that for extended periods, so you want to take that into consideration with all the OD pedals, clean boosts, and so forth that push speakers to raise your level for solos. Use your good old common sense here. Sure, your old small block sounded great and was running awesome at 8000 rpm for "awhile", then the crank, piston, or connecting rod broke, and you weren't mobile anymore. Use the same common sense judgment with choosing your speaker wattage.
    Last edited by tot_Ou_tard; November 21st, 2006 at 07:42 PM.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanky Spanky?

Mind if I ask a few more questions?

Open back or closed? I'm think open, I don't need to project in my basement.

Watts? The wattage issue really confuses me. I'll be using my AD30VT (after I wire in a speaker out) and a Valve Jr. My guess is that the lower wattage the speakers are rated for the easier it will be for these amps to drive them. Is that correct?

I'm searching the net for a site that explains such arcana.

Post'em if you've got'em.

Vood, I'm looking at you!

Thanks!
    Open / Closed back - depends on the sound you're looking for. Closed back cabs have a more authorative bottom end than open backs do...at least to my ears.

Watts - this gets into the "speaker breakup" argument. Lower rated speakers break up (distort) at lower volumes and add their own color to the sound. Again, it depends on the sound you seek. You at least want a cab that can handle the rated output of the amp. Speaker selection is also critical. They all sound and react differently. I'm a fan of Celestions. I have Vintage 30's (60 watts) loaded in my Mesa 4x12 and Johnson combo. I have Vintage Greenbacks in the Germino. To my ears, the V30's are voiced for a bigger bottom end and have a more rounded sound than the Greenbacks. The Greenbacks are the voice of classic rock - they're 25 watt speakers and break up fairly early in the amp's range. There are many good speakers to choose from.

Be sure to get a cab that matches your amp's output impedance. While most amps can handle a mismatch, you always get the best power transfer with matched cabs.

I'll dig around for some sites. Think I have a few in favorites.
    Last edited by Plank_Spanker; November 21st, 2006 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I really appreciate everyone's help.

If price was no issue would you get a 4x12 or a 2x12...why?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

If price was no issue, I'd get.....one of each.

Seriously, unless you're gigging in fairly large venues or trying to be heard above an overzealous drummer, a 4x12 seems like overkill. The 2x12 seems to me to be the more flexible choice. Big enough to push serious air, not outrageously large for home/small room use. Much easier on the back, too!

Take it from Robert, whose advice was excellent, I thought--that 2x12 Avatar cab is a great choice!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Vood.

It seems to be a trifecta; Spudz, Robert, n' Vood. Can't beat that.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

IF price were no issue I would go for the Ear Candy top of the line 1x12. Otherwise a 2x12 from anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with a 2x12. They're much easier to haul around.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    IF price were no issue I would go for the Ear Candy top of the line 1x12. Otherwise a 2x12 from anyone.
    Why the 1x12 Spudder?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

How about a vote? All cabs prices include speakers.

First up: the Earcandy Sovereign 1x12 @ $329-$349
    http://www.earcandycabs.com/sovereign.htm

Next up: the Avatar Premium Vintage 212 Custom @ $379
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Vintage%20Premier.htm

Finally the Avatar G412 Special @ $378
    http://www.avatarspeakers.com/G412%20SPECIAL.htm
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Why the 1x12 Spudder?
    Because they are awesome! Go to their web site and look for some links to soundclips of guys using them. That 1x12 can perform as well as most 4x12's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast