Thread: Clarence Gatemouth Brown

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clarence Gatemouth Brown

Now this is "my kind" of "jazz"....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uuOVOp9l4B4

He smoked. Killer player....he is missed.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

FIREBIRD!!!!

That was fantastic! I have never seen this dude before, but what a performance.. and what a winning smile, you gotta love that set of teeth!
    And tuning the guitar while playing? Amazing stuff.

Btw, minihumbuckers on a firebird = insanely great!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    FIREBIRD!!!!

That was fantastic! I have never seen this dude before, but what a performance.. and what a winning smile, you gotta love that set of teeth!
    And tuning the guitar while playing? Amazing stuff.

Btw, minihumbuckers on a firebird = insanely great!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clarence_Gatemouth_Brown

read up on this inspiring legend. I remember the first time I ever saw him play on TV...I was stunned. This was back when I started playing guitar at 13.

I agree with your take on minibuckers on firebirds. Tone that slays. I love David Hidalgo's tone on the Crossroads Festival DVD too.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    I agree with your take on minibuckers on firebirds. Tone that slays. I love David Hidalgo's tone on the Crossroads Festival DVD too.
    I have always loved the sound Allen Collins got with his Firebird on early Lynyrd Skynyrd albums. And Johnny Winter makes it sound sweet too.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

This is great! I didn't get to see him but I was really close. He was playing across the courtyard at the club I used to engineer at. We were setting up for some other work at 2 am and could hear the club rocking hard while he was playing. I wanted to go over so badly but couldn't.
    Thanks for posting.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I read an interview with him last year. He said he was battling cancer, and he was determined to not let it take him.

Very good player. He was very open-minded to music and as a guitar player, he was not a one trick pony.
    Last edited by Robert; November 26th, 2006 at 07:51 PM. Reason: missed the crucial word "battling"
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

geezus whats that??? amazing amazing!!

(by the way, the allen collins firebird had a p-90 at the bridge 8^) )

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Iago
    (by the way, the allen collins firebird had a p-90 at the bridge 8^) )
    Did he? Well I like P90´s too
    I have the "One more for the road" lyrics and score book here, and he seems to have a standard mini-hb on those pictures at least.

Post Thanks / Like

it was 50% p-90 and 50% mini humbucker.. though in the really beggining of Skynyrd he had both mini-humbs. I dont know which songs he recorded (if he ever did) with that configuration.

I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??
    Ahh, the beauty of our friendly forum!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

.....I already added 2 videos (pressure cooker and song for renee) of Clarence Gatemouth to my favorites on youtube... how could I never heard this guy before??
    This is my Thanksgiving Day present to you my friend. You're very welcome glad you like it. LMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good Lord, Sweep picking with Fingers - cool
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Good Lord, Sweep picking with Fingers - cool

Agreed. Last night I went home and played without a pick and just used my fingers and fingernail when I wanted it. You get so many different tones with the flesh of your fingers. Maybe this will improve my progress with playing bass with my fingers too. *thumbs up* But yes Clarence was phenomenal.