Thread: Barefoot shoes

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Barefoot shoes

Hi friends,

Has anyone of you tried out barefoot shoes? I know it's an oximoron - barefoot and shoe - but I like the concept. I am doing a lot of sports recently and I am wearing either no shoes or very slim Kung Fu shoes when training martial arts twice a week. So I thought I'd like to give the concept of bearefoot running shoes a try. I am currently running in my Asics Nimbus 10...

The shoes I could buy in shops nearby are:
    Vibram 5 Fingers

Merell Trail/Tough Glove

Vivobarefoot

There are more barefoot models by Feelmax or New Balance. I think I'd go with the Merell...'cause the Vibram looks "Monkey" :-)

Let me know what you think ;-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But are we banned from wearing them whilst playing guitar much like Crocs?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I've strongly considered it, but never bought any. I've heard that they take a good bit of adjustment, because you have to run differently -- the pose position, I believe it's called (http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...technique.html).

It seems like it could work; one of those back-to-nature ideas. I have a friend who bought a pair of the Five Fingers and was running around 3-5 miles and in very good shape. His first time out in the FF, I think he did ~1.5 miles and his calf muscles were so sore the next day that he could barely operate the clutch on his car. Point being, I think the new technique you have to use can ultimately lead to less impact, but it requires adjustment as you develop the necessary muscles.

A former colleague of mine said that there's also a cheap way to make your own. I think you can find instructions on the Barefoot Ted blog (http://www.barefootted.com/). Oh actually, it's here: http://barefootted.com/sandals.pdf

Anyway, if you do decide to buy some, please update. I'm very curious about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Cool infos here so far. I knew these shoes would be polarizing opinions. Learning a new technique isn't exactly what I intended to do, but I think it's worth doing it...why not
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

They get high praise from folks in the mountain communities. From what I've heard that has been the largest market so far. Vibram makes good stuff though. I haven't tried them yet because I'm afraid my little piggies would feel claustrophobic.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a runner but I read somewhere you can do a lot of damage to yourself running in these

Post Thanks / Like

I just run in my Chuck Taylors when I want a good calf workout. 20 bucks and it's the same idea.