Thread: Anybody use an iPhone for quick recording?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody use an iPhone for quick recording?

I have no idea how many good riffs I "lost" because I was unable to quickly record.
    Well, I'm still finding my way around my new iPhone, but I have found it to be a great little tool to save those licks and riffs that I'll develop later.

I installed a little 4-track recording app, called FourTrack (duh). I'll spare you all the details on features etc, since you can investigate if you're so inclined. Basic sliders with knobs to pan L/C/R. I really like how you can WiFi sync with your laptop, and download a mix or just the individual tracks you've created. Since there is no editing tool, I used Audacity to trim extraneous noise.

I have not worked with this app very long to perfect any techniques. In this quick clip, I just wanted to test the process. I did nothing except lay the phone down in front of my bedroom amp. I was actually surprised that it sounded pretty decent.

http://www.box.net/shared/ftp5895xnx

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, almost every day. I generally just have my iphone on the floor next to me as I play (I'm usually sitting down) and record ideas with the built in voice recorder app. Sound quality is great for what is essentially an audio notepad for me. I'll check out that 4-track app though,that might be very cool, although for creativity and composition I see myself getting a better "live" style looper than the RC-2 I have. Something like a boomerang, but that's another topic entirely.......

Post Thanks / Like

All the time. I use JamUp to record riffs and songs on the phrase sampler and later export to multitrack DAW and start adding other tracks with garageband mobile and nanostudio...seems to work pretty well and I can almost get a professional sounding recording out of it all....at least a really decent demo. Plus I can create endless loops in JamUp with the sampler as long or as short as I want and overdub as much as I want, using different presets and amp setups...pretty cool.