Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Time to consolidate my amphs? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to consolidate my amphs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the response Oldguy - apologies for the Hijack !
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    I don't want to hijack the thread, but briefly I'd say the H&K sounds warmer, maybe more Fenderish in the clean side with the "twang" button engaged, than the C30. The OD side is not for heavy metal players, it works well for classic rock or rockabilly.
    Back on topic now, please.
    You're not hijacking - this is useful info! I'd like to check out the H&K amph as well. Cheers!
    Amps:Crate V50, Line6 Flextone, Vox VT15.
    Guitars: Dean EVO Special, Fender Strat, Blueridge Acoustic, Dean Bass.
    Effects: Line6 DM4 Distortion Modeller.

Post Thanks / Like

I reviewed a couple of amphs today.

First I checked out the Blackstar 20W combo today at Sam Ash. Hmmm. It was a little disappointing. It seems to be a bit of a two trick pony. Great clean thing going on and great overdrive, but not much in between. I found it hard to dial in a nice warm overdriven tone - the OD tones seemed more metal flavored than I would like. I am primarily a classic rock/blues sort of player.

SamAsh didn't have much else in that caught my eye so I went across the street to Guitar Center. Our GC always looks like a pre-school has been let loose in it. The place is always a mess. Anyhow I tested the Egnator Tweaker first. It was good, but a little overwhelming. Then I found the Egnator Rebel 30. Oh yeah. This thing is really nice. Plenty of really warm OD tones - great clean tones and a nice 1w-30w headroom attenuator which is great for different venues. I think this one is at the top of my list right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbrit View Post
    Then I found the Egnator Rebel 30. Oh yeah. This thing is really nice. Plenty of really warm OD tones - great clean tones and a nice 1w-30w headroom attenuator which is great for different venues. I think this one is at the top of my list right now.
    One of their best amps. It might be just what you are looking for. If my price limit was higher, I would have gone with the Rebel 30 over the Tweaker 15.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a Jet City JCA20H or the JCA2112RC (the combo version, Eric has this one), I'd suggest giving it a spin. It'll do the classic rock thing great. The only thing is that if you are looking for lots of super cleans, look elsewhere. This amph can do clean, but that's not really its M.O.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I took the plunge and traded my Crate V50 in at GC. They gave me $150 for it. But get this - the Egnator Rebel 20 is on sale there because they are not going to carry it in the stores anymore. The head is usually $550 but they had it out for $450! So I haggled a bit and ended up getting it for $400. I also scored a 1*12 egnater cab to go with it. All in all I think I did OK. Been playing the rebel 20 and it is great - I think it is perfect for my mostly bedroom playing - but it does get loud if you crank it. Now I have to tell my dear wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats. Glad you found what you were looking for. Those Egnaters sounds like excellent amps. Of course the rule round here is that without pics it never happened!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet trade. Happy new amph day!

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the new baby. Sitting on my Fender Bass amp - I really should try and learn how to play bass sometime. In the foreground is my Dean EVO special.

Post Thanks / Like

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12