Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
BeginningTracks

Thread: BeginningTracks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default BeginningTracks

Ok guys. I went ahead and posted something. Just to get my feet wet. This is total newbie beginner stuff and I hope Neil forgives me. This is stuff I have been playing on my acoustic. This is my Strat, as I do not have a good way of getting my acoustic's sound into the computer yet.

Everything was recorded just with a cable into Garageband on my G4 iMac, with my 60th Std. Strat. Please listen to Hey Hey last, if at all. I am not satisfied with it and can play it better. I threw it up there anyway just for the different amp tone. After listening to all the surfabilly, I was trying to go for a beach toned Heart of Gold in the SurfGold track. The Surfgold 2 track is just trying out a different amp setting in Garageband. Hey, it's for fun and learning, right? Thanks guys.

Steve

http://www.box.net/public/xoa674khr5 SurfGold1

http://www.box.net/public/45lk2j5e4z SurfGold2

http://www.box.net/public/5hgmpfz7b7 Hey, Hey (fixed link)
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 20th, 2006 at 10:33 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go there Steve ! Your playing and timing was great ! If you are trying for accoustic, isn't there a sim in garage band for that ? Let's hear more of ya !

Post Thanks / Like

Yea! Now this is great. Even the new guys are posting their playing. This is what it's all about.

Good job and especially to pull out the cajones and 'get er done'.
    Good meter for not having a drummer.

BTW. Your third track is the same as the second.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Yea! Now this is great. Even the new guys are posting their playing. This is what it's all about.

Good job and especially to pull out the cajones and 'get er done'.
    Good meter for not having a drummer.

BTW. Your third track is the same as the second.

Thanks guys. Ted, I didn't know that about the acoustic setting, but I was more indicating normally I play this stuff on my acoustic. (Except for Hey, Hey). I was experimenting with what kind of electric guitar sound would be cool for Heart of Gold. I was going for a golden sunset over the beach kind of feel. It sure is fun to play!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, that sounded good! Now you are over the hurdle of the recording software and the logistics of recording, all you have to do is add some of Neil's patented one-note solos and you have a hit. OK, may be it isn't quite that easy, but you are doing great.

aeolian

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go Steve..jump on in the waters fine.... so is the playing..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright! That was very tight and well played, and the Strat sounded good. Way to go, Steve!
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Man this is so inspiring hearing you guys play! I wish I had the self-confidence to play in front of people and record a long time ago back when I started. No use crying over spilt milk though... better late than never. Each track I listen to just motivates me even more!

Great stuff! That's a nice tone you've got going there...

Maybe you could do 'Rocking In The Free World'. We use that as a loose jam towards the end of a gig. Always a crowd pleaser!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, its good to hear that you have made your first GB recording. Isnt it simple? The built in amps are rather good.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Worthy first efforts there, Steve! Keep 'em coming....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, man, all you need now is practice enough to get comfortable with those chord changes on some new songs. The ones you posted sound good!
    BTW...what in the world is "surfabilly"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    BTW...what in the world is "surfabilly"?

Thanks Glenn. I guess surfabilly is guys with idaho plates on a pickup trying to surf in So. Cal. (I went on that trip once, it was way fun!).
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, OK, good description.
    When I put it up I was thinking more of a hillbilly in bib overalls listening to Dick Dale or the Surfaris!
    Glenn