Thread: HomeBrew Electronics

Post Thanks / Like

Default HomeBrew Electronics

Anyone familiar with this brand?

I've been wanting a Morley A/B switch, and these guys sell something a bit more sophisticated, supposedly higher quality, less tone suck.

Looking for testimonials, suggestions.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no, but at first I thought it was some fancy brewing temperature/fermentation regulating equipment. Maybe Duhvoodooman or Tung can chime in, but I don't think you have to get too fancy with an A/B switch.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    Anyone familiar with this brand?

I've been wanting a Morley A/B switch, and these guys sell something a bit more sophisticated, supposedly higher quality, less tone suck.

Looking for testimonials, suggestions.
    I've heard lots of bad things about the Morely and have heard the Whirlwind A/B box is marginally better. If you check on line or read reviews on vendors' sites you can get a feel for what the shortcomings are on each.

The HBE box looks pretty cool and has one output isolated with a transformer to prevent ground loops when using two amps. It's pricy though, and I haven't seen one so I don't know how durable it is.

I have a cheapo DOD A/B box and I can attest that ground loops really suck Definitely, don't get one.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    I've heard lots of bad things about the Morely and have heard the Whirlwind A/B box is marginally better. If you check on line or read reviews on vendors' sites you can get a feel for what the shortcomings are on each.

The HBE box looks pretty cool and has one output isolated with a transformer to prevent ground loops when using two amps. It's pricy though, and I haven't seen one so I don't know how durable it is.

I have a cheapo DOD A/B box and I can attest that ground loops really suck Definitely, don't get one.
    This is exactly what I've heard as well, and why this HBE box is so appealing. I'm looking to pay a fraction of that list price however.

thanks for the feedback!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I had an HBE Power Screamer a while back. Pretty good overdrive. The 3-way toggle switch offers several interesting tones. I thought it sounded a lot better with the Burr Brown IC upgrade. I bought mine for $160 (with the Burr Brown IC) so I guess it was a pretty good deal.