Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Video from Krashpad? In his church band? Surely not!

Thread: Video from Krashpad? In his church band? Surely not!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Video from Krashpad? In his church band? Surely not!

Here's a viddy of a couple snippets from Sunday night, playing at a church in the next town over, complete with audience singing along, with some lead work from Charlie Hall's "Marvelous Light" at approximately 1:20-1:45.

Sorry about the intro, done by a college gal.

You may now all ridicule me mercilessly.

Post Thanks / Like

"Video Unavailable

The video has either been removed from Facebook or is not visible due to privacy settings."
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Crap, sorry. Apparently unavailable except to fb friends. Changed my fb preferences, which MIGHT make it available. However, since it was posted first by someone else, it might not.

If you're on fb, you can search for Brian Krashpad and friend me, and watch it.

If a non-fb friend could try to access it and tell me if it's available, that'd be swell. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, same thing. It's probably due to the privacy settings of the original poster, I'd guess. Maybe I'll look you up and we can be Facebook friends! Are you ready for it?!?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nope, still unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yeah, same thing. It's probably due to the privacy settings of the original poster, I'd guess. Maybe I'll look you up and we can be Facebook friends! Are you ready for it?!?
    Woo-hoo, a new era! Question is are YOU ready for me making up a crappy solo in a space of indeterminate length, haha!

And beware the overly-loud crappy pop intro music!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool stuff.

Surprisingly (to me, anyway) a few of the things you were doing in that solo are things I recognize from my own playing. It's just that you're a lot better!

Post Thanks / Like

We probably have a lot of the same influences, despite the age difference. At any rate I'm certainly not avante gard in anything I do solo-wise, I like simple and direct. I just hope it ends up being somewhat melodic and that I end up on the root when I need to, haha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    That looks fun!
    We had a great time. SO much better than being crammed up in a choir loft and being unable to even see the people whose worship you're supposed to be facilitating; the only interaction we tend to get in our Lutheran church is the occasional person who'll turn around (yeah, we're at the BACK of the church in addition to being stuck upstairs) and look up and scowl because they don't like rock music.

Sigh.

Oh well, that was a GREAT night and the people THERE actually appreciated what we did. At the very end of the video as it's fading out you can even hear one of the people in the crowd saying "Awesome!"

We'll definitely do that again.

Again my apologies that I can't make the viddy accessible to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    We had a great time. SO much better than being crammed up in a choir loft and being unable to even see the people whose worship you're supposed to be facilitating; the only interaction we tend to get in our Lutheran church is the occasional person who'll turn around (yeah, we're at the BACK of the church in addition to being stuck upstairs) and look up and scowl because they don't like rock music.
    Just yesterday, I was trying to figure out what your configuation was at your church; choir lofts and balconies can vary greatly from church to church. I didn't know you were behind everyone -- that's pretty weird, and it sounds like an awkward place to be in, both literally and in terms of how you're appreciated.

I'm glad you had a good time at the concert thing...what would you call it, anyway? A worship concert of sorts?

Post Thanks / Like

That was great!!! Wonderful playing and tone Brian. Looking forward to more. We play those songs at my Church too.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Just yesterday, I was trying to figure out what your configuation was at your church; choir lofts and balconies can vary greatly from church to church. I didn't know you were behind everyone -- that's pretty weird, and it sounds like an awkward place to be in, both literally and in terms of how you're appreciated.
    Yeah, it's about the opposite of optimal. For awhile we tried playing up front, but then the Music Director couldn't easily interfere with our volume levels/mix. Unfortunately he's a control freak of sorts. But I guarantee you he's never been to a rock concert in his life, so I'm wondering how his doctorate constitutes being qualified to mix a rock band.

I'm glad you had a good time at the concert thing...what would you call it, anyway? A worship concert of sorts?
    I think a worship or praise concert is a good description. The actual name they used was NOW-- Night Of Worship. They'd done one previously, so they decided to make this one the second in the series. There was no separate sermon or anything, although their keys/singer/leader did a bit of that "Let's bring it down while I talk about God" stuff I've seen some other praise bands do in concert. Our services at our church are much more formal so that sort of thing is rather outside our experience. We did a praise concert last year at our church and that's as close as we've come to that. But unlike at our church these folks not only showed up but really got into it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rkwrenn View Post
    That was great!!! Wonderful playing and tone Brian. Looking forward to more. We play those songs at my Church too.

Cheers
    Thanks Robert! That was my little Super Champ XD on the Vox setting on the OD channel, lined out to the PA. I pretty much live on that setting for overdrive/distortion, both in church and in the rock bands (typically I use the SC XD as a close monitor and line it out to a bigger tube rig in the backline) that I've used the SC XD for. I went through several other small amps, both tube and solid state, before finding the SC XD like new in a pawn round the corner from my office. Picked it up for $175 iirc, and spent another $15 or so for a footswitch. In general I'm a tube amp guy (the SC XD is tubes, but combined with modeling) but I've been SUPER happy with that SC XD.

A couple months ago the same band did an outdoor gig and I used the SC XD, lined out to my vintage '60's Sunn 200S 60W tube head into a 2x12 mic'd in the backline, and it sounded bosstastic (SC XD to our left in foreground, Sunn rig behind me about 15' away, mic'd):

The red DeArmond Jet Star in the background above is the guitar I played for our set Sunday night.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    There was no separate sermon or anything, although their keys/singer/leader did a bit of that "Let's bring it down while I talk about God" stuff I've seen some other praise bands do in concert. Our services at our church are much more formal so that sort of thing is rather outside our experience. We did a praise concert last year at our church and that's as close as we've come to that. But unlike at our church these folks not only showed up but really got into it.
    The church I used to go to had a lot of stuff like that. Not necessarily the full-on 15-minute talk with fingerpicked stuff in the background, but a lot of God-talk with soft playing in the background.

The music side of me really likes those "praise concerts", for lack of a better term, but the pragmatic side of me wonders if I'd ever go to one if I wasn't playing. I'm pretty sure the answer is 'no'. But I guess that doesn't necessarily negate the function of them, as long as it's meaningful to someone.

Post Thanks / Like

The church I used to go to had a lot of stuff like that. Not necessarily the full-on 15-minute talk with fingerpicked stuff in the background, but a lot of God-talk with soft playing in the background.

The music side of me really likes those "praise concerts", for lack of a better term, but the pragmatic side of me wonders if I'd ever go to one if I wasn't playing.
    Given the choice between dreary late medieval organ music, choir anthems, a sermon and the occasional "handbell choir" piece (description of our early all-trad service) I'd take the praise concert every time.