Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Pick one
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pick one

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pick one

This might be a tired exercise, sure, but I find it to be kind of fun. Progrmr's thread gave me this idea.

The premise: for guitars, you can only keep one. Which one is it? You can answer however you decide: most valuable, most sentimental value, best playing, favorite, most versatile, best tone, whatever. Just provide the rationale along with your decision. I know some of you (I'm looking at you, marnold!) only have one guitar, so this should be an easy answer.

For me, it's the one that fits me the best, is easiest to play, and gets me closest to the sounds I use the most: Agile AL-3100. The Godin might be worth more, but I don't care. The Agile has been the guitar that matches me best ever since I bought it.

How about you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

No can do. I've thought about this, and it may have been possible a couple years ago, but not now.

If it were a life and death situation, I'd probably have to go with the Bender, though.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Six months ago it was my Agile.........now it's either or both of my Tele's.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

If it were only one, I'm sticking with my Yamaha acoustic. First and foremost, it was my Dad's and the guitar I learned to play on. Secondly, an acoustic is uber portable and can go from gig to house party to campfire.

If the powers that be let me keep another, then it'd be a Tele - hands down the most versatile axe on the planet (IMHO).
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    What's that? And why?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to choose my 50's Tribute LP. It's an inexpensive guitar as Gibsons go, I paid $775 new. I have some vintage guitars, some rare ones, and some that cost several times more than the Tribute, but it's light and comfortable and has a very unique tone that I like a lot. The chambered body, P-90's, and the way I wired the replacement pots and caps let me wander over toward an airy Fender like tone as well as delivering a fat Gibson sound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What's that? And why?
    Ibanez SCR220. All mahogany body that is just a bit thicker than the popular S470, 22 frets and a short scale. It's got beautiful sounds in every position. It can get very Tele-ish, heavy R&R in the bridge, sweet woman tone in the neck and a lovely in between quack just off the neck pickup. It has a wiring design that they don't use very often or maybe anymore, a treble bleed, solid tuners and a neck profile that is just like my Ernie Ball Luke without the offset V that the Luke has. They don't make these any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, I thought for sure you'd say your Luke. Color me amazed.

My DK2M is it for me and not just by default. I've honestly never played a guitar I've liked more than this one. Not even close. And, yes, I'm on the verge of playing again.

For bass, it would be the late 80s Spector I played back in the day. Probably was over a grand at the time. Magnificent instrument. No, it wasn't mine.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'd have to go with my old, beat-to-crap, 1959 Les Paul Sun Burst that my grand dad gave me. I don't play it much
    as it needs some new strings and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

(to be truthful, I'd go with my Godin Icon Type 3)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Spud, I thought for sure you'd say your Luke. Color me amazed.
    The Luke certainly has it's place, but I think I like the way passive pickups in the Ibanez respond to my touch a tiny bit more than the actives in the Luke.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If I had to do just one, (electric), it's my strat. A number of reasons: it was first guitar love, I love the neck, I love how comfortable the overall guitar is, I know well the tones and can do a lot of versatile things with it, etc.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Obviously, never could do such a thing. I could ID a few I could part with relatively easily, but after that they bring so many different things to the table-- economic worth, mojo, sentimental attachment, etc., it'd be impossible to pick. Assuming they were all in the same place and the building caught fire, it'd probably be the Les Paul Classic, since it's the most valuable AND a great guitar:

Truth be told, however, I gots 2 hands so at a minimum the Hamer Special would come along too.

Post Thanks / Like

No question it'd be the ES-135.

It's my primary guitar as it is for its versatility in tone.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

If I had to pick one it would have to be my 1993 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Easily one of the worst guitars I own, but my father gave it to me. It was my first quality guitar. It's been through hell with me. It's headstock was snapped clean off and repaired. Its original black paint was stripped off and I applied a tung oil finish. Most of the hardware has been replaced over the years and I swapped out the original pickups for DiMarzio Virtual Vintage humbuckers. It's amazing what sentimental value will do to a person.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    I'd have to go with my old, beat-to-crap, 1959 Les Paul Sun Burst that my grand dad gave me. I don't play it much
    as it needs some new strings and I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

I read the first little bit of that and was thinking, "I didn't know he had anything old and beat to crap". Then I read the rest. LMAO! Nice one, Don.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Of my 5 electrics and one acoustic, all can be replaced. The Reverend is such a sweet P90 guitar, but it could be replaced with another Reverend, like a smaller solid body Sensei.

That leaves the Washburn WI66 and the Hell No.2.
    I'm a humbucker lover, and the Washburn fits me like a glove. It is replaceable, but I'd hate to have to do that.
    The Hell No.2 is also replaceable since more are in production, but this one is a unique pre-production guitar that feels and sounds so good, I couldn't really replace it. I guess it wins!
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, we're 2-for-2 on Hell guitars. Quite a testament to that brand!

Post Thanks / Like

Way too easy for me - my Epi LP standard. It just sounds and feels just like I want it to.

The Squier CV strat? Not likely.

You know, I really wouldn't mind an Agile AL3000. But, I'm not really a collector though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast