Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
OK, I'm Back

Thread: OK, I'm Back

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, I'm Back

This is a follow-up to this thread.

Well, after starting that thread, I've been listening to a bunch of metal and got the desire to play again. Yeah, I screwed more than a few things up, but it was fun. I just plugged my Jackson right into my Jet City and played. I decided that I was going to get back to learning the solo to "Breaking the Chains" since it is just about the easiest Lynch solo out there, although there is a ton of bending, including a couple of step-and-a-half bends. Gotta hit those right or the whole things sounds off. My fingertips are very sore now, but in a good way.

I know it sounds weird to post this only four days after starting the other thread, but remember that had been going on for a couple of months before I said anything about it. Maybe just writing about it was catharsis enough. I've often found in counseling that I don't have to say anything brilliant most of the time, just let the other person talk. The lesson for today is don't sell anything when you are in a bad mood (kind of like "Don't go grocery shopping when you're hungry.")

Hopefully after this I plan to revisit the lead parts to Sabbath's "Paranoid" (aka "Hound of the Baskervilles") and John Hiatt's "Perfectly Good Guitar."

I also can't help but wonder if my ennui was due to the fact that since I got my Jackson and my Jet City, my level of GAS has been as close to nil as any guitarist's could ever be. I mean, I've had the guitar for two years and the amph for one and a half. Usually by now any warts would be glaring. They just aren't there. Yeah, I've glanced at some Agiles, but only in passing. I'd also like to get a true-bypass delay pedal to replace my Boss, but that's pretty low-end GAS. Maybe my life as a guitarist up to this point has been more GAS-motivated than playing-motivated. I just need to adjust to the new reality.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled metal:
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

lol, very cool. We really were listening though...
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take that as a '+1' then...

I'm glad you're back! I just decided today that I'm going to break my Jet City out of storage tonight. I got a replacement power light for it, so I should figure out how to install it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thats great, I'm sure these threads will help others who get into similar ruts. I think it happens to all of us at some point.

One question that did occur to me when reading your original thread was are we becoming victims of information overload? Back in the 80s I used to sit for hours listen to records working out riffs and speculating about what guitar of FX were being used. Now its all at our finger tips with youtube and google. Some of the mystery and magic has gone from learning an instrument. We can instantly compare our chops against a million other guitarists. We can quickly identify our limitations and become disheartened. We cant even use crappy gear as an excuse because there's an abundance of affordable quality gear available to us.

Anyway, I digress. Now can we bring back brother Jimi from the brink?
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you're back, Rev. I go through that every so often myself, so I know where you're coming from. The past few days I've had some irritating tinnitus, which makes everything sound like crap, but I've still indulged in playing pretty much every night. It's not as satisfying, though.

I do loves me some old Sabbath, btw. Excellent choice!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    One question that did occur to me when reading your original thread was are we becoming victims of information overload? Back in the 80s I used to sit for hours listen to records working out riffs and speculating about what guitar of FX were being used. Now its all at our finger tips with youtube and google. Some of the mystery and magic has gone from learning an instrument. We can instantly compare our chops against a million other guitarists. We can quickly identify our limitations and become disheartened. We cant even use crappy gear as an excuse because there's an abundance of affordable quality gear available to us.
    Along these same lines, there's a zillion different guitars, amphs, pedals, pickups, etc., etc., etc. out there. For all of them, you will find someone who will say that it is the best thing since sliced bread. We have access to more information than ever. The trick is trying to determine which of it is useful. The problem then is that you spend so much time trying to decipher all of this that you don't actually play.

That's also why I wondered aloud whether my finding my perfect combo of guitar and amph actually contributed to everything. I stopped bothering trying to find truth in the noise and was just left with my guitar, amph, and what meager skillz I have. Sort of like newlyweds who are desperately in love having to get used to the mundane realities of life. When they were dating, their relationship was their break from Real Life (tm). Now their relationship IS real life.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome back! (I knew all you really needed was a good dose of Teh Brootalz)

Post Thanks / Like

Playing more guitar is the new G.A.S.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like