Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Anyone tried selling gear to guitar center?

Thread: Anyone tried selling gear to guitar center?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone tried selling gear to guitar center?

I was wondering whether anyone had tried selling gear to Guitar center or sam ash? I know that they buy used gear - but my guess is that they'll offer a terrible price.
    Amps:Crate V50, Line6 Flextone, Vox VT15.
    Guitars: Dean EVO Special, Fender Strat, Blueridge Acoustic, Dean Bass.
    Effects: Line6 DM4 Distortion Modeller.

Post Thanks / Like

I asked them about it once. I don't remember the specifics, but yeah, it was not a great price price. I think it's like a trade-in with cars -- you really only do it if you're in a hurry or willing to pay money to avoid the hassle of selling on your own.

I might be pulling this out of my butt, but I think it was something like 40% below the street value of the item. So if you have a $100 pedal that can be had for $50-75 used, they'd probably give you $30-45 for it.

Really though, I'd recommend just asking them what their policy is. It's probably not as bad as I say it is, otherwise why would they have as much used stuff as they do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Good point - they do seem to have a lot of used stuff there. I guess I lug my amph up there and have them take a look. Selling on Craigslist is a PITA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gatorbrit View Post
    Good point - they do seem to have a lot of used stuff there. I guess I lug my amph up there and have them take a look. Selling on Craigslist is a PITA.
    Well, you could just call and ask how they figure out a price. That would give you at least some idea. I'm sure you could do the math to ballpark what your amp would fetch from them.

CL is mildly annoying to me. After buying and selling a bunch of stuff from people on there, I feel like I've become fairly adept at avoiding the flakes and figuring out how to make it work. If you decide to use craigslist (which IMO you should), try to be patient. Your item will probably sell, but it has to be the right time. I recently sold a guitar on there that I've been advertising for eons. I listed it at anywhere from $200-300, and probably would have taken less. In the end, I sold it to a guy who was happy to have it for $240.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I sold a couple of guitars there to buy my DK2M. I'm pretty sure I could have gotten more if I had sold them outright. The problem is that with my Fender Showmaster, everybody knew that MF had sold them for $250 (original list was $899) so the best offer I had ever gotten for it is about what GC offered. My Floyd Rose Discovery had also been blown out at MF plus it needed special Speedloader strings. NOBODY wanted it. It was still hanging at GC last time I was in there--after about 1.5 years. I just wish I would have yanked out the pickups I put in it and put the originals back in. I probably would have gotten the same amount of money for it.

So, on the whole, I would have liked to have gotten more money for them than I did. To their credit, they didn't have either one marked up a huge amount when they went on sale. They've got to make money on the deal or they won't do it. If I think about it as if I paid full sale price for my DK2M, I got a screaming deal. Since my DK2M was being blown out at the time, not so much. I don't feel I got ripped off. The amount I could have gotten extra is probably outweighed by the fact that I didn't have to go through the pain of selling them myself.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to trade in my 315CE Taylor which I paid $1800. They offered $600. Needless to say I just walked away. Better to sell private party I'm guessing.

Post Thanks / Like

And that's why GC has such good prices on used gear... They don't pay much for it from the get-go.

You'll get a higher price on CL or Ebay, methinks.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I sold my Ibanez bass at one a few years ago and got a better deal than from the pawn shop pirates, but it still wasn't anything to brag about.
    I wish I still had it, but it was an emergency.

Post Thanks / Like

The GC here gives you 50% trade based on what they think they can sell the gear for. So if they're gonna put your used guitar up at $250, they'll give you $125 in trade.

Sucks but I've done it - selling on CL can be a real PITA. Responding to "I'll give $200 for that guitar you have listed at $500" emails for weeks gets old real quick. I'll trade it in at GC before I give some CL low-baller lol!
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

THEY make sure the profit is in it for them period.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, but i have purchased used there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My local guy gives me 85% of what he would put it on the floor for. That can sometimes work out fo a decent price. It can sometimes get you about 60% of the new price.
    It does hurt when guitars have been blown out by some of the online dealers. I paid 599 for a Fender Esprit double cut and they were being blown out a few months later for 299 at MF. I would rather keep it than give it up for 200 bucks.
    I put it up for sale on the local buy and sell in Canada and the only reply I got was from a guy in California. In Canada we have a 13% tax. So if you trade an item the trade amount comes off the best deal you can make, and will save you 13% of that value in taxes. So it can be a pretty good deal. You might get a little more on private sale but you have the hassle of selling it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I just sold my Crate V50 at GC for $150. I think that was a pretty good deal. I also negotiated some $$ off some other gear. SamAsh would only give me $100 for it.

Post Thanks / Like

That's not a bad price. I got $200 for mine on CL, but it took a little bit of time.

Post Thanks / Like

They offered me $50 for my G-DEC. I could probably get over $100 for it on CL or eBay (or $150 at that time, a new model has come out now probably killing all value mine had).
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

I once worked for a small indie guitar shop-the owner would pay about 35-45% of the selling price, depending on how fast he thought it would sell. I saw him buy a usable old Supro tube amp for $120, then sell it on the phone for $350 inside of 5 minutes.

The selling of instruments is not about the music, but about the money.

Selling to a store that will re-sell will get you maybe 50% of what you can make by selling it yourself, but it is faster and easier...your choice.

mark

Post Thanks / Like

I traded in a used Strat Affinity, I knew that it was worth about $100 used if I sold it on CL. I got a good price at $80. They put a tag of $120 on it. There was some haggling involved and I was buying another guitar.

If you are going to trade-in gear, normally expect to get 50-65% of the average selling price for that item USED... not new... not what you paid for it. Do your research before going in. Check ebay, Craigslist, Gbase, etc. Its where they are going to check. Be prepared to haggle. Since you are buying something else, they will work with you more.

If you are selling it outright, expect about 50% of the used price with no haggle room.

They are in business to make money.
    -- Joe --
    Guitars:
    Gibson: '08 Longhorn DC HS
    Martin: '09 OM-1
    Ovation: '07 Elite-T 1868T; '95 Celebrity Deluxe CC257; '95 Balladeer 1751 12-string
    Fender: '91 Stratocaster Plus; '69 Mustang Competition; '08 Squier Telecaster CV50
    Other: '77 Bradley Les Paul Custom; '03 Michael Kelly Patriot Q
    Bass: '08 Dean EABC
    Effects:
    MXR Dyna Comp; Dunlop Crybaby; DOD TR3R; Ibanez MT10; Rockman Soloist
    Amps:
    Genz Benz Shenandoah Jr.; Peavey Studio Pro 110; Tascam MP-GT1