Thread: Creative Guitar by Guthrie Govan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Creative Guitar by Guthrie Govan

Folks,

I recieved a gift of a vouchor for Amazon.com a couple of weeks back and ordered Creative Guitar 1 & 2 by Guthrie Govan. I was attracted to these books because Guthrie writes for a UK Guitar Mag called Guitar Techniques which I like alot. He also has several posts on youtube which show what a talent he is.

Anyway I recieved the two books complete with CD's last night and all I can say is WOW. I was completely engrossed until about 2am. I've been playing for 20years now (and probably been at the same standard for the last 10) and never before have I found a guitar instruction book so well written. He really does a great job of breaking everything down into usable chunks and the book is loaded with stories and tips from his own experience. For example, did you know that the harder you strike the strings the sharper the note you produce? So, when tuning you should always strike the strings with the same attack you use when playing, otherwise you may notice the notes being slightly sharp as you're playing.

I've yet to delve to deeply into the excercises but so far even just as a good read I'd recommed it. I'll give a full review once I've spent some more time on with it. Guthie Rocks!!

There's lots to learn here for only $15!!

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Guita...e=UTF8&s=books
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the heads up Lev! As a self taught newbie, I live & breathe guitar instruction books.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Thanks for the heads up Lev! As a self taught newbie, I live & breathe guitar instruction books.
    Another good low price point addition to my Christmas list.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lev for pointing these books out to us. I just got Vol 1. It is quite wordy, but in a very friendly, entertaining, and enlightening way. Just like you'd hope an intelligent best friend with loads of guitar experience would be.

I haven't go to the exercises, which I fear may strain my capabilities, but I'm having a hard time butting the book down. Damned interesting!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got these by Guthrie and I have to say they are FANTASTIC - no matter what your ability you'll pick something up in these two books.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This thread inspired me to finally pull the trigger on purchasing Texas Blues Guitar by Robert Calva.

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know what you think of that one Commodore!

Post Thanks / Like

Guthrie Govan often contributes to a magazine ( Guitar Techniques ) .... the other month, he did a feature lesson called "supercharge your playing" .... the magazine is not real cheap, but it's got an amazing amount of material packed into it ....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blackwoodbarter
    Guthrie Govan often contributes to a magazine ( Guitar Techniques ) .... the other month, he did a feature lesson called "supercharge your playing" .... the magazine is not real cheap, but it's got an amazing amount of material packed into it ....

That's right. I subscribe and never have the time to pick all of it up. I just choose the lessons I like the look of that month, and every now and again go through all my back issues!