Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
My stepdad has ALS.

Thread: My stepdad has ALS.

Post Thanks / Like

Default My stepdad has ALS.

My stepdad has ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Some of you might be familiar with the disease as it is the same that affects guitar wizard Jason Becker. It's a progressive disease, with no known cure.

ALS, put simply, sucks. My stepdad was diagnosed last October.

At this point, we (the family) are trying to focus on quality of life. Hospice care has been brought in, and they are working hard to monitor my stepdad, and keep him comfortable. I can't say enough about the compassionate people that take care of him.

What makes this disease even more difficult is that it attacked a man who has always been highly active. My stepdad usually spent his time outside, and worked very hard to provide a life for our family. Growing up, he'd get antsy if he stayed inside for too long. Today, he spent the majority of the day in bed, sleeping.

Only about 5,000 people in the US are diagnosed annually, so there isn't as much funding for ALS research as there is for other diseases. That sucks, too.

I was hesitant to post this... I still might delete the post. I'm feeling pretty sad for my stepdad today. Damn.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post

I was hesitant to post this... I still might delete the post. I'm feeling pretty sad for my stepdad today. Damn.
    Please do not delete.
    Sharing your care and sadness about a family member who finds himself fighting a tough disease is appreciated.
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

My heart goes out to you and your family, Kat.
    You will be in our prayers and our hearts. The fact that your stepdad has a loving and caring family is a good thing.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

That's a tragic thing to hear, and I can certainly relate. My dad--one of the greatest guys you could ever meet--died of ALS back in '95. It is truly a horrible, horrible disease. You have my deepest condolences. I pray that your stepdad doesn't suffer too much.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really sorry to hear about that. I've known a couple of people who had family members with ALS, and it's not easy. I'll be praying for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really do feel for you and the family. This is a mean disease.
    All I can suggest is to see what he really wants to do in his life that he's never done, and try to make it happen soon, before things progress.

"I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth."
    -Lou Gehrig

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry, Kat. My thoughts are with you and your family.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Prayers and mojo coming your step-dad's way.....and the rest of the family too. ALS is brutal. Glad to hear you have hospice care involved. They make a world of difference for the family.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Prayers and mojo. I am sorry to hear he and your family are going through this.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm very sorry to hear this. We went through this fairly recently with my wife's mother, and it was hard for all of us. It's awful.
    Be strong. Our thoughts are with you.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.