Thread: A good, affordable & giggable bass amph?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A good, affordable & giggable bass amph?

Recommend me a decent bass amp for small gigs. One that is affordable.

I have very little experience with bass amps. I only play bass when I record, which is line-in to the computer. I may be playing a few gigs as a bass player, so I may need
    something that will work okay live. Loud enough for blues, country and such. Not super loud music either.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Assuming that you can get them in Canada, I'd look at the Acoustic line. I've got a B20 that would be too small unless you were just accompanying an acoustic or two. Maybe a B100? MF has them for $250 U.S.

http://www.acousticamplification.com...3&product=B100
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

See thread below...
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php/18396-Nbad!!
    This looks like a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. How do you like playing bass Robert?

I'm not really big on combo amphs since it seems the speaker cab part is something of a compromise. I typically suggest separates so that you can get a cab that has the proper internal volume for the driver.

For the suggested style and price, I'd recommend a Hartke LH500 head and Hydrive 115 cab. Blues and country usually means pretty deep tone and that setup would have it in spades. Just make sure to dime the mids on an LH head. "Flat" on one of those is B @ 2, M @ 10, and T @ 2. It's a Fender tone stack.

I briefly had an LH500, but was playing in a band with heavily distorted guitar and it was lost in the mix. I returned to for my current Shuttle which is a bit on the spendy side.

Regardless, I think for a blues/country format the LH500 would give some good booty-shaking bass. The Hydrive cabs have near-boutique tone at an affordable price. Hey, even Victor uses them!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I like playing bass, but I always have trouble transferring the groove I have in my head/body to the bass... because I don't have great technique on bass. My preferred style of bass playing is rhythmic, funky and groovy, like Jaco, Victor or Gary Willis. Unfortunately, it's very hard to get such a technique as those guys have without 2 million boatloads of practice! I have no boatloads at all available - my ship has already sailed away from me! Haha!

Acoustic line - never seen one of those, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Thanks, NWBasser, and thanks Rev!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah, here's another one that would fit the bill.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ampeg-PF...04-i1821346.gc

If you dig the Ampeg tone, the PF500 would be a winner.