Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

cheap *** cab?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cheap *** cab?

Post Thanks / Like

Default cheap *** cab?

i needz one....a friend just gave me a 5 watt / 2 1/2 watt amp built by a pretty well known amp tech in the area....it is a 5 watt amp switchable to 2 1/2 watts....i assume it has a ss preamp because it only has one tube?

anyway i need a REALLY cheap cab for the amp....i live in a condo and never play out so a small cab (even a 6 inch speaker would probably be ok) is what i want....i'm open to weird or strange solutions....
    discuss....
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Blackstar makes a really nice 1 x 10, although I haven't priced them. If you find yourself an empty 1 x 12 cab, I have a great vintage alnico speaker that would be nice in there...
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, I guess I would be looking for a good cheap little speaker, some good plywood, and some cab plans on the webz. That's all I can think of.

My buddy used to build really nice patio speakers for cheap with on sale car speakers in a box he would build. Simple, cheap, and sounded good. Of course car speakers wouldn't work, but the idea is the same.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Hmm, I guess I would be looking for a good cheap little speaker, some good plywood, and some cab plans on the webz. That's all I can think of.

My buddy used to build really nice patio speakers for cheap with on sale car speakers in a box he would build. Simple, cheap, and sounded good. Of course car speakers wouldn't work, but the idea is the same.
    my problem is limited space to work and very limited tools for the job....it would be cool to convert a really old tv or antique cabinet into a cab :-)
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    If you find yourself an empty 1 x 12 cab, I have a great vintage alnico speaker that would be nice in there...
    hmmmm....details? : )

Post Thanks / Like

Rats, man I just sold a beater 1x12 cab yesterday. However, the price it sold for was $120, which may not constitute "really cheap" (despite that the EV speaker in it costs $229, to buy new). I'd watch craigslist, that's where I had mine listed.

In addition to cabs themselves, some little cheap ss combos come with detachable speaker connectors, so that you can attach the speaker to a different amp, like the head you describe. If you got something like that then the amp part of the combo could be a backup if you ever had to have your tube head worked on or it was otherwise unavailable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warren
    hmmmm....details? : )
    I bought some vintage alnicos from a guy on Ebay a while back. He sent one 8 and one 16 ohm initially, but I asked him if he had another 16. He did, and sent it to me. I decided to keep the 8 ohm to either sell, or use in a 1 x 12 someday. It's a vintage Heppner, used in a Hammond organ. If it sounds like the other two I have at all, it'll be very sweet and warm sounding.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Warren, if you want something extremely funky and cheap, I totally forgot I have a little open-back 2x8" cab. It's a gutted Fender acoustic combo amp. I never use it, could sell it to ya for like $30. Speakers are stock Fender brand. I could bring w/next time I go down to the ORL w/daughter for UCF.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    Hey Warren, if you want something extremely funky and cheap, I totally forgot I have a little open-back 2x8" cab. It's a gutted Fender acoustic combo amp. I never use it, could sell it to ya for like $30. Speakers are stock Fender brand. I could bring w/next time I go down to the ORL w/daughter for UCF.
    that sounds perfect....i like funky! i'll actually be in gainesville (high springs) on either tuesday or wednesday....unless you're visiting the daughter this weekend i could prob hook up with you then....

got any pics....

Post Thanks / Like

can't wait to affix this button somewhere on that cab brian!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! That sounds perfect!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by warren0728 View Post
    that sounds perfect....i like funky! i'll actually be in gainesville (high springs) on either tuesday or wednesday....unless you're visiting the daughter this weekend i could prob hook up with you then....

got any pics....
    This without the cigarbox amp in the top.

Post Thanks / Like

cool....when i'm finished with it....it will be the "Krashcab"

Post Thanks / Like

stopped by krashpad's on my way through gainesville and picked up my cheap *** cab! we did hook the amp up quickly (i was running late so we didn't get much time to visit) and it sounded good....thanks brian! i'll post pics of the amp and cab together once i get back home but here's me and brian and the cab!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

It was good to see Warren again. He's lost weight and lookin' good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You guys are both looking good, and good to see you guys together again. Gotta like it when a good plan comes together!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

it was great seeing brian again....wish we could have hung out for awhile....i'm gonna have to make the drive to see him play out sometime!

Post Thanks / Like

It was good to see Warren again. He's lost weight and lookin' good!
    So have you, Brian...the HARD way! Ya both look good, though!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

ok folks....here are a few crappy iphone pics....the setup is the gutted fender acoustic cab i got from bk and the amp was given to me by another friend....it is a 5 watt amp built by an amp tech in the area....i have not opened it up but it is all point-to-point wired. It's switchable to 2 1/2 watts and has a couple toggle switches which i'm not sure exactly what they do....dvm might have some idea....i don't notice huge differences when switching them back and forth....anyway it is a mutt of a set-up and i love it....

i might try the cab in a vertical position instead of horizontal (thanks for the idea bk!) and will fill in the space left where the original amp portion was removed....played around with it today for a little while with the lp and really liked the sound!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast