Thread: Neck Heavy?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Is this your old Peavey P-bass you're talking about? I thought you liked that thing.
    Nope. I loved my old Peavey. Dumbest sale evar. (<- Note the "leet" spelling)

It was my first bass, a P-bass. I don't even remember what brand it was. It wasn't a well-known brand, that's for sure. The body was plywood and weighed a ton but it STILL had neck-dive. I've got a really old picture from college of me playing it, but I can't make out the manufacturer's name. The headstock looks vaguely like a B.C. Rich and has Fender-esque clover-shaped tuners. I replaced the stock pickup with an EMG Select in a vain effort to make it not sound like crap. I remember it was a Sunday afternoon when I got it and the only place that was open was the Music Center. The only guitars and basses they had were low-end off-brands. If I had been the least bit patient and waited until the next day, I could have gotten a far better bass at a far better store. Live and learn.

Later, since I was a dirt-poor college student, I had to convince my parents to let me use their credit card to get my Peavey, which I dutifully paid off with interest. Seems to me it cost me between $250-$300 which was a LOT of money for me back in '88 or so. It had a nice, light, poplar body. Despite the light body there was no neck dive at all. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was kind of bright for a P-bass, but that suited me fine. That was nothing that a Duncan Quarter-Pounder wouldn't have fixed anyway, if I cared to swap it out.

It looked just like the one in this thread, except that it was red.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    Nope. I loved my old Peavey. Dumbest sale evar. (<- Note the "leet" spelling)

Later, since I was a dirt-poor college student, I had to convince my parents to let me use their credit card to get my Peavey, which I dutifully paid off with interest. Seems to me it cost me between $250-$300 which was a LOT of money for me back in '88 or so. It had a nice, light, poplar body. Despite the light body there was no neck dive at all. Thought I had died and gone to heaven. It was kind of bright for a P-bass, but that suited me fine. That was nothing that a Duncan Quarter-Pounder wouldn't have fixed anyway, if I cared to swap it out.

It looked just like the one in this thread, except that it was red.
    I may be a bit daft, but I'd go for a Fury over an actual P-bass any day.

They were very well made and superbly nice basses.

I saw one rather cheap a bit ago, but I have no room for more basses.