Thread: Volume pot weirdness, hum, and switch dirt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Volume pot weirdness, hum, and switch dirt

So I've been playing my Godin LG Signature a bit more recently and I have some questions about it. To preface this, every time I take off the back panel for the electronics cavity, I'm amazed by how tidy everything is. That being said, I'm experiencing some annoying electronics weirdness with it. Maybe it would be easiest to just list it out:

1) There's almost always a hum on the guitar, noticeably more than on my Agile LP. The tech I use said that's typical, but I think he just didn't want to fix it. It's double-HB, so I'd expect it to be pretty quiet. What would make it more noisy than any other double-hum guitar?

2) When I adjust the knobs or use the pup selector switch, there's usually some crackling, which I'm assuming is dirt. I have tried and tried to clean it out with deoxit and everything else, but the problem remains. It's annoying. Not killer, just annoying.

3) Sometimes the bridge pickup seems to have a volume drop-off when compared to the neck pickup. The bridge is a SD Custom Custom, which is pretty hot, so that doesn't make sense to me. Other times it seems like it's the same volume as the neck, so maybe it's a loose wire?

4) When I'm annoyed by the behavior of the volume pot (dirty and bridge pup not being loud enough), I regularly notice that a bunch of volume seems to come in the last 2% of the volume knob "travel", if you will. It's like when you max it you get all of the volume, but as soon as you take the volume off max, you're sitting at maybe 60-80%, like, instantly. If the bridge pup is in "quiet mode", rolling off the volume *at all* results in almost zero volume.

Any input on any of these issues? Much as I love the idea of this guitar, I'm toying with the idea of putting it up for sale on CL. However, if I could get the electronics straightened out, I think I'd probably keep it for at least a while longer.

Input would be appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So I've been playing my Godin LG Signature a bit more recently and I have some questions about it. To preface this, every time I take off the back panel for the electronics cavity, I'm amazed by how tidy everything is. That being said, I'm experiencing some annoying electronics weirdness with it. Maybe it would be easiest to just list it out:

1) There's almost always a hum on the guitar, noticeably more than on my Agile LP. The tech I use said that's typical, but I think he just didn't want to fix it. It's double-HB, so I'd expect it to be pretty quiet. What would make it more noisy than any other double-hum guitar?

2) When I adjust the knobs or use the pup selector switch, there's usually some crackling, which I'm assuming is dirt. I have tried and tried to clean it out with deoxit and everything else, but the problem remains. It's annoying. Not killer, just annoying.

3) Sometimes the bridge pickup seems to have a volume drop-off when compared to the neck pickup. The bridge is a SD Custom Custom, which is pretty hot, so that doesn't make sense to me. Other times it seems like it's the same volume as the neck, so maybe it's a loose wire?

4) When I'm annoyed by the behavior of the volume pot (dirty and bridge pup not being loud enough), I regularly notice that a bunch of volume seems to come in the last 2% of the volume knob "travel", if you will. It's like when you max it you get all of the volume, but as soon as you take the volume off max, you're sitting at maybe 60-80%, like, instantly. If the bridge pup is in "quiet mode", rolling off the volume *at all* results in almost zero volume.

Any input on any of these issues? Much as I love the idea of this guitar, I'm toying with the idea of putting it up for sale on CL. However, if I could get the electronics straightened out, I think I'd probably keep it for at least a while longer.

Input would be appreciated!
    My initial thought after reading this is that the pot is worn. Pots do wear out. If you've tried cleaning it with no success, then the pot probably needs to be replaced. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, pots are fairly inexpensive.

It also sounds like you have an intermittent ground connection somewhere. A dual humbucker guitar should be dead quiet if it is wired correctly.

Before you sell it, you might take it to a competent guitar tech. He/she should be able to figure out what the problem is.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan View Post
    My initial thought after reading this is that the pot is worn. Pots do wear out. If you've tried cleaning it with no success, then the pot probably needs to be replaced. If you feel comfortable doing it yourself, pots are fairly inexpensive.

It also sounds like you have an intermittent ground connection somewhere. A dual humbucker guitar should be dead quiet if it is wired correctly.

Before you sell it, you might take it to a competent guitar tech. He/she should be able to figure out what the problem is.
    Thanks -- I'll check into that. I thought the guy I used was good, but I'm beginning to sour on him.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Just like Tung, the first thing I thought of was the ground. If I were you, I'd replace the pots, or at least the one that causes you grief. Personally, I think that the whole CTS reputation is overblown, but they do make good pots. Full sized Alpha pots are also a good choice. Maybe it's time to just get a pre-made harness and be done with it. Replacing the tone caps with some nice paper-in-oil or Mallory 150s might make a nice difference as well.

As far as the switch goes, I would replace that with a Switchcraft. That's one brand that I think deserves the stellar rep that it has.

Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard with my solution, but consider the source.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Just like Tung, the first thing I thought of was the ground. If I were you, I'd replace the pots, or at least the one that causes you grief. Personally, I think that the whole CTS reputation is overblown, but they do make good pots. Full sized Alpha pots are also a good choice. Maybe it's time to just get a pre-made harness and be done with it. Replacing the tone caps with some nice paper-in-oil or Mallory 150s might make a nice difference as well.

As far as the switch goes, I would replace that with a Switchcraft. That's one brand that I think deserves the stellar rep that it has.

Okay, maybe I'm going a little overboard with my solution, but consider the source.

Whatever you do, good luck and keep us posted!
    Sometimes the "shotgun" approach is best. I like the idea of replacing the entire wiring harness, Godin is a good brand, but like a lot of others they may skimp on somethings to bring their instruments in at the price point they want. Electronics can get downgraded.

The main thing about the pots is to get the right bushing: diameter (they come in both Iperial and metric) and length. Also the right shaft so that the knobs fit.

I concur on Switchcraft, there is a reason they are the industry standard.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'm going to avoid the DIY route at the moment. Guitar modding is something kind of like beer-brewing for me: something I'm very interested in and that would be useful (in some capacity, anyway), but that might not fit real well into my life presently. Hopefully someday.

Still, I appreciate the input.

Post Thanks / Like

So, I do have a question: I was just googling for switches, and I saw that StewMac.com has a whole load of 5-way switches, with varying options. One of them was for 2HB guitars, but the options were for inner/outer pickups in parallel/series, etc. The LG Sig has a 5-way, but it's neck/coil split neck/both/coil split bridge/bridge, at least that's my understanding of it. What would be the correct switch to replace that? Is there a Switchcraft one that would work?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So, I do have a question: I was just googling for switches, and I saw that StewMac.com has a whole load of 5-way switches, with varying options. One of them was for 2HB guitars, but the options were for inner/outer pickups in parallel/series, etc. The LG Sig has a 5-way, but it's neck/coil split neck/both/coil split bridge/bridge, at least that's my understanding of it. What would be the correct switch to replace that? Is there a Switchcraft one that would work?
    Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the standard 5-way blade switch should work; it's all in how you wire the switch. Then again, I've never tried that one, so I may be way off.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the short is in the leads that are normally soldered together to make the bridge humbucker a humbucker. If those leads were being grounded somehow (against a pot or against shielding in the cavity or something), that would definitely lead to volume loss and noise. Basically you'd be converting the humbucker into a hot single coil.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

If you feel like taking a road trip over to the Jersey shore, I can give you the name of a great fellow who could square it away for you Eric. I bet if you made arrangements ahead of time time he'd do it while you wait and show you how.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I a m not sure if your guitar was new or used. A lot of guitars have their jack come loose. A lot of guys will simply get a wrench and "tighten" the nut. Usually if you don't secure the jack in place it will turn, and damage the joint or the wire.
    I had this issue with an Epi G400, and all my tech had to do was resolder the joint. It had become detatched. As far as the pots are concerned there might be corrosion. I am not sure what posts Godin uses.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    I a m not sure if your guitar was new or used. A lot of guitars have their jack come loose. A lot of guys will simply get a wrench and "tighten" the nut. Usually if you don't secure the jack in place it will turn, and damage the joint or the wire.
    I had this issue with an Epi G400, and all my tech had to do was resolder the joint. It had become detatched. As far as the pots are concerned there might be corrosion. I am not sure what posts Godin uses.
    It's used, so that's a possibility.

Post Thanks / Like

Update: I got it back from the shop, and it seems to be more silent, though I haven't put it through the paces yet. The good news is that when the guy at the shop contacted Seymour Duncan, they said they've had noise problems with the Custom Custom Bridge pickup, so they offered to replace it. I said I'd rather have a JB in the bridge anyway, so they sent one of those to the shop for the cost of shipping ($15). So it ends up being a free upgrade.

I think SD said the A2 magnets (at least in the Custom Custom) have been giving them noise issues, which is strange. Makes me wonder why they continue to make that pickup. The whole reason the guy contacted SD was because he had managed to get the neck pickup dead silent, but the bridge was still giving him some noise.

Anyway, I'll try to remember to update after I road test the guitar, but it will probably next week, as I'm going camping this weekend. Thanks for all of your help!

Post Thanks / Like

A GOOD GUITAR TECH is worth his weight in GOLD for us non-DIY types. Sounds like its fixed and improved very cool stuff.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I'm glad to hear that it seems you got it sorted out and got a pickup upgrade in the process. I just clicked the link for the Godin LG Signature...nice guitar! How does the acoustic bridge sound? I've never tried one of those.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pickngrin View Post
    Cool, I'm glad to hear that it seems you got it sorted out and got a pickup upgrade in the process. I just clicked the link for the Godin LG Signature...nice guitar! How does the acoustic bridge sound? I've never tried one of those.
    The LG Signature (mine, anyway) doesn't have an acoustic pickup. It's just a 2 humbucker, 25.5" scale, bolt-on neck guitar.

I noticed yesterday that it's *still* not 100% silent, but I guess it's good enough. Some of that might have been due to the cable, so I'm not sweating it.