Thread: Nineteen Eighty-Four - great book

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nineteen Eighty-Four - great book

I'm just reading Nineteen_Eighty-Four (by George Orwell) for the first time, and I think it is great!

It was published in 1949, but it seems so fresh when reading it. Totalitarianism sure exists today too, and the fears the book centers around are still just as valid as ever.

Recommended read!

If you'll excuse me, I need to go get me another cup of Victory Coffee... from the Ministry of Plenty.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I should re-read that some day. Isn't Brave New World supposed to be a similar sort of dystopian novel? I've been meaning to read that one for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hmm. I should re-read that some day. Isn't Brave New World supposed to be a similar sort of dystopian novel? I've been meaning to read that one for a while.
    1984 is my favorite book. It's more than a work of fiction as the concept of thought crime and double think explain a lot of the world today. Brave New World is similar to 1984 but instead of using 1984's heavy-handed police-state control it instead uses control via medication.

If you want to understand the world today, look no further then the philosophical underpinnings that are dramatized in 1984. And it's a good bit of fiction too!

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, you can download the PDF from archive.org here.

Post Thanks / Like

Brave New World was amazingly prescient, too.

Post Thanks / Like

What's with the smell of boiled cabbage anyway?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter was the voice of the Narrator in her High School production of "1984" about 8 or 9 years ago. I had never read the book and was amazed at all that was entailed in the message of the play.

Post Thanks / Like

When I read this book it wasn't even 1984, so to see what society was like when 1984 came around was interesting. I haven't read the book for a long while now, maybe I should.

My son's English class assigned "Animal Farm" this year and I re-read that book. I had forgotten most of it already and this second time is just as fresh and thought-provoking as the first time many decades ago.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorites.
    It becomes more and more relevant all the time.
    Orwell had everything right but the date.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yep. Great book. The actual year 1984 seems so long ago now, and seems so innocent as compared to our times.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; June 19th, 2011 at 08:42 AM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

1984 is one of those books I think every kid has to learn in school here. Along with some others, I can't remember all of them but 1984 and Lord of the Flies at least were two mandatory ones.

Great stuff. Animal Farm is another great Orwell book. Huxley's Brave...also, totally classic of course. I've read all those at least twice.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone should read this book. The ending is great too.

What a good writer. Not everyone is that skilled with words!

Now remember, Big Brother is watching you - RIGHT NOW! hahahaha