Thread: Best 5(ish) Watt Amp ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best 5(ish) Watt Amp ?

Hi Folks

I'm on the lookout at the moment for a 5(ish) watt amp that will be good for recording and small practice sessions.
    Anybody got any advise/experience with these little amps?
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

People seem to think highly of the VHT Special 6. I've never tried one, but that's probably where I'd begin my search if I was in your shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Try a Blackstar HT-5 as well. I love mine. It also has an emulated speaker output for 1 x12 and 4 x 12 cab simulations, which would probably be good for your recording requirements. The models that are supposed to be out soon will also have reverb (mine does not). Two channels, effects loop, and the patented "ISP" (Infinite Shape Feature). Very, very good amp for the money.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I was also looking at the Fender Champ 600, but there seems to be some mixed reviews out there!
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fretz View Post
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

I was also looking at the Fender Champ 600, but there seems to be some mixed reviews out there!
    I had one of those, it was one of the earlier ones because it hummed.

That tiny 6" speaker is very shrill and thin sounding. The cabinet is small, so it sounds boxy. A stock Valve Junior sounds better.

If you looking for high gain sounds, the Blackstar or the VHT are good. If you're looking for low gain sounds or plan on using the amp for pedals, the Blackheart Little Giant and Valve Junior are good.
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the "best" I'd say a Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    If you want the "best" I'd say a Swart Space Tone Atomic Jr.
    I've seen you mention this before, OG. Just out of curiosity, do you own one? They certainly look like they'd be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not I am going to recommend the Vibro Champ XD. I have everything from 100 Watt Mashall DSL100, to a 65 Deluxe, Blues junior and a Super champ XD. But I always seem to go to the Vibro Champ. You can put it through a 2/12 cab and it still sounds amazing. I can play at extremely high volume levels at home, but the little Vibro with it's Modes and effects just sounds amazing. Flip the switch and dial up what you need.
    I got mine for 125 used in mint condtion, and I will never part with it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The sweetest 5 watts you can buy. ($1200)
    http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_st-atom.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Folks

I'm on the lookout at the moment for a 5(ish) watt amp that will be good for recording and small practice sessions.
    Anybody got any advise/experience with these little amps?
    Just curious as to why 5 watts is the sweet spot for you? If you want low volume and great sound you don't necessarily
    get it with lower wattage. My Marshall Class 5 is really, really loud while my Boggie sounds awesome at the lowest
    of volumes in 10, 45, or 90 watt.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've seen you mention this before, OG. Just out of curiosity, do you own one? They certainly look like they'd be nice.
    Nope...... I convince myself they're too expensive, then look at all the amphs I've bought/sold/traded/kept and wonder why I think that.

I have yet to hear of a member here or elsewhere who bought one and didn't rave about the tone, or who sold it off or traded it, though.

And while videos online can be deceptive, most of the ones I've found sound really sweet if demo'd by a competent person.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

The Vox AC4 TV also looks like a pretty good option for the money.

"We have a single 12AX7 in the preamp and a lone EL84 class-A power section. Top whack is four watts, while a three-way power attenuator enables you to pare that down to one watt and – wait for it – 0.25 watts!"

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/a...-206144/review
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.

The Vox AC4 TV also looks like a pretty good option for the money.

"We have a single 12AX7 in the preamp and a lone EL84 class-A power section. Top whack is four watts, while a three-way power attenuator enables you to pare that down to one watt and – wait for it – 0.25 watts!"

http://www.musicradar.com/gear/all/a...-206144/review
    I've seen a demo by a guy on another forum that I belong to where he used an AC4TV combo. It sounded quite good. At that price point, the AC4 head sometimes tempts me...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I've seen a demo by a guy on another forum that I belong to where he used an AC4TV combo. It sounded quite good. At that price point, the AC4 head sometimes tempts me...
    Thanks FrankenFretter
    The AC4 head doesn't have a speaker though, right? The portability is one of the reasons I'm looking at something like this.

I see they do an 8" or 10" speaker version. Any views on which would be better?
    Cheers
    Fretz

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks FrankenFretter
    The AC4 head doesn't have a speaker though, right? The portability is one of the reasons I'm looking at something like this.

I see they do an 8" or 10" speaker version. Any views on which would be better?
    In the world of combo amps, you'd do well to have the bigger speaker when at all possible or practical. Although there are exeptions, the smaller speakers tend to sound "boxy". I prefer a head/cabinet to a combo for several reasons, but one of the best reasons is that when the speaker and tubes are in the same physical container, i.e. a combo amp, it can shorten tube life due to the vibration of the tubes caused by the speaker. To be honest, most of the time it's probably not much of a problem. I like the versatility of being able to switch my amps and speaker cabs around as I see fit, depending on my mood.

Good luck with whatever you choose. There's lots of options out there for low-wattage valve amps these days, and these are only a few of the large selection that are available. You may also consider a Mack amp. Robert, our veiny leader, has a couple of them and he loves them. You can see demos of his amps here somewhere...
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the tips guys.

The Vox AC4 TV is now on the way. It looks pretty cool...can't wait to get my hands on it
    Cheers
    Fretz