My stepdad has ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. Some of you might be familiar with the disease as it is the same that affects guitar wizard Jason Becker. It's a progressive disease, with no known cure.

ALS, put simply, sucks. My stepdad was diagnosed last October.

At this point, we (the family) are trying to focus on quality of life. Hospice care has been brought in, and they are working hard to monitor my stepdad, and keep him comfortable. I can't say enough about the compassionate people that take care of him.

What makes this disease even more difficult is that it attacked a man who has always been highly active. My stepdad usually spent his time outside, and worked very hard to provide a life for our family. Growing up, he'd get antsy if he stayed inside for too long. Today, he spent the majority of the day in bed, sleeping.

Only about 5,000 people in the US are diagnosed annually, so there isn't as much funding for ALS research as there is for other diseases. That sucks, too.

I was hesitant to post this... I still might delete the post. I'm feeling pretty sad for my stepdad today. Damn.