Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Another CV Tele acquisition....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another CV Tele acquisition....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another CV Tele acquisition....

Just over a year ago, I picked up a used Classic Vibe '50s Tele and have really enjoyed this great and amazingly cheap guitar. As described HERE, I changed the neck pickup to a mini-humbucker and put on a different pickguard, then tuned it to open G. I've enjoyed playing it that way ever since--great for many classic Stones tunes, much of the Black Crowes catalog, and for fooling around with slide (even if I am MISERABLE at it!).

Anyway, I decided that I really needed a second Tele with the classic single coil pickup setup to leave in standard tuning. So what better to get than another CV Tele, this time a Custom with the snazzy bound sunburst body and rosewood neck? I checked in with my favorite music store--same place I bought the CV '50s--but they didn't have one in stock. But while poking around on eBay this weekend, I came across a practically new CV Tele Custom from a very solid looking seller at a fair price (esp. considering it was free shipping!). The auction was set up as BIN, so after considering it overnight, I jumped on it yesterday. The guy is only down in NJ, so am hoping to have it later this week.

Coupla pics off the 'Bay:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweet guitar!

You guys continue to make me sick (GAS) with these CV Tele's. Stoooooop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice! I love mine. I am curious how you compare yours once you have it.

Since we are talking about adding teles, Derek (my son) likes my tele, but wants a 'bucker or similar. And he likes the light feel and sound of my buddy's Rickenbacker semi triple. So I am considering finding either a CV Thinline or Squier Vintage Modified thinline http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0301240544 to mod with TV jones pups like that cool Twang King Jim reviewed. What do you think of that project? I will of course have to see how they are routed to see if it will work.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Will do. Love the looks of this guitar. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the mint pickguard--already have a white MoP on order from GFS. And I'll replace the stock 3-way switch with a 4-way, to be able to add the neck/bridge-in-series combo.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

White mother of pearl will look sweet. I had that same thought in mine when I got it, or maybe a tort guard. But I have gotten used to the mint, and am in no hurry to change it out at this point.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats, Vood.
    I think you'll love that guitar. I bought a new one at the local music store awhile back and I'm really liking it.
    The neck was a bit thinner and the radius flatter than my '52 FrankenTele, but I adjusted to that pretty quickly.
    IMO the stock pickups are fine sounding and it plays great. I intended to stay with the 9's that came on it but I gave in and switched to 10's.

I think the MOP pickguard will look nice. I've gotten used to mine as is, I guess. I can't think of anything I really want to change.

You and Steve may notice one thing if yours are like mine. Everyone who's played mine so far has asked the same question.
    " Is it hard for you to see the dots on the side of the neck ? " LOL

I think you'll like that guitar. I'm nearly playing Tele's exclusively these days, with my Agile LP thrown in occasionally for rock.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! I have that guitar and love it...
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Will do. Love the looks of this guitar. The only thing I don't particularly care for is the mint pickguard--already have a white MoP on order from GFS. And I'll replace the stock 3-way switch with a 4-way, to be able to add the neck/bridge-in-series combo.
    Each to his own, but I really like the mint guard on the 3 color burst. Also what bucker did you use on the 50s that you modded? I am thinking of something along those lines for my CV Custom.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    Also what bucker did you use on the 50s that you modded?
    THIS ONE.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Beatiful guitars. Saving up my cash for one now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lookee what I found on my front porch....

Checked the FedEx tracking site and found that they had delivered the guitar at 9:20 AM--left the box on the front porch. Unfortunately, nobody was home and wouldn't be for several hours, so I took a quick trip home (I only live about 7 miles from where I work, suburban/rural roads) and picked it up. Glad I did, because there it sat on my front porch, facing right at the street, in a Gibson box!! Great big Gibson logo on it that you could read from about the length of a football field away. Now, I live in a pretty safe neighborhood, but that's practically like posting a "Steal Me!" sign on it.

Haven't been able to plug it in, but I did unbox it during my lunch hour. Arrived in good shape, though the input jack nut had come loose and the jack cup had fallen out in the box--2 minute fix. The guy said "practically brand new", and he wasn't kidding--in great shape, except for a single rather bad scratch that is fortunately in the black area of the sunburst right next to the binding, adjacent to the control plate. I just blackened it with a Sharpie for the moment and can do a more permanent repair later. Seems to be set up pretty well, except the intonation needs adjustment. First couple of photos:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I see yellow pickguard and white pickguard - no green pickguard! But what I really want is to hear how you like it compared to the CV 50....!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    I see yellow pickguard and white pickguard - no green pickguard!
    Welcome to the wonderful world of bad digital photography. The yellow-looking one is closer to the real thing--the indoor lighting makes it a little yellower than it really is. The white looking one is just color washout from the camera flash.

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    But what I really want is to hear how you like it compared to the CV 50....!
    Me, too! Won't be able to tell you that until I can plug it in at home tonight, when I get home from work....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

New white pearloid pickguard, new pics:

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks pretty! Is it all set up now? Did you plug in and play?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like the pick guard. The original was fine, but this makes it more unique and personalized.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got to agree - the perloid really perks it up - as nice as that model looks already.
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Looks pretty! Is it all set up now? Did you plug in and play?
    Yes, of course. A real twang machine, as I expected from the CV Tele Custom I'd played several months back. Both pickups are very articulate and typical Tele in tone. I have to roll back on the treble when playing it clean on the bridge pickup, but I really like the tone with some overdrive added. The setup is quite good--possibly the lowest action of any guitar I own, but I've noticed just a tiny bit of buzz a couple of times, so I may adjust it slightly. The intonation definitely needs optimizing, but I just haven't gotten to that yet.

Received the 4-way switch I ordered to be able to add the B-N-in-series pickup combo, but I'm NOT satisfied with what I received. The eBay page specifically said it was a Fender Custom Shop part, but what I received was not in Fender packaging, had no part number sticker on it, and does not exactly match photos of the Fender CS switch that I've seen. I suspect a bait & switch with a cheap Chinese knockoff part. The eBay seller will hear from me today....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats Voodoo. It's a great guitar for the price. I love mine. I put a tortise shell pickguard on mine looks cool!!! Enjoy your new axe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast