Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Nos Tubes

Thread: Nos Tubes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nos Tubes

Anybody take the leap and purchase New Old Stock tubes , you know old tubes that have never been used . I have a friend who bought out the complete tube inventory of a tv repair shop about 20 years ago , he has a treasure trove of Tubes ... and gives me great deals , I use NOS RCA blackplates in my old fenders power section and either RCA , MULLARD , or JAN PHILIPS in the pre section . there is a definitive difference .
    There are tons of sources for NOS tubes on line and lots of help in chosing the right tube for the sound you want , yeah they are pricey but i think that they make such a difference in tone that its worth the price ..
    I've found that some of the soviet military tubes are excellent as well and have very long life and are cheaper , just wondering what everyone else thinks...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

6S9L - If I ever snag a Fender amp again I'm gonna try the NOS route. I read about lots of great results using them in the older amps. I wish I had an amp like Nelskie's Super to try them in really.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 6STRINGS 9LIVES
    Anybody take the leap and purchase New Old Stock tubes , you know old tubes that have never been used . I have a friend who bought out the complete tube inventory of a tv repair shop about 20 years ago , he has a treasure trove of Tubes ... and gives me great deals , I use NOS RCA blackplates in my old fenders power section and either RCA , MULLARD , or JAN PHILIPS in the pre section . there is a definitive difference .
    There are tons of sources for NOS tubes on line and lots of help in chosing the right tube for the sound you want , yeah they are pricey but i think that they make such a difference in tone that its worth the price ..
    I've found that some of the soviet military tubes are excellent as well and have very long life and are cheaper , just wondering what everyone else thinks...
    I used to go the NOS route.. ended up realizing I could afford a vintage amp on the savings by using new tubes.

To be honest, I have mulled over the issue and had many a day of swapping a set for another and listening..

As one can easily purchase 2 NOS tubes for 150 bucks and then blow them out a few days later.. I suppose it is like anything.. if you have the money it's a fine hobby.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=676362

Post Thanks / Like

Consider yourself fortunate that you have such a friend! NOS blackplates and Mullards cost a fortune on the open market today...and the JAN Philips aren't exactly cheap anymore either.

I've spent more money on NOS tubes than I care to think about. Yes, they can make a difference, especially in vintage circuits that were designed around these tubes. In new circuits that were designed around available new manufacture tubes, the difference is not always so great.

I have a '65 Bandmaster that is loaded with NOS, and it's the only way to go with that amp, IMHO. I have one Crate Vintage Club 30 that loves the Polam/Telam NOS tubes that I have in it along with an assortment of NOS pre-amp tubes. But my Vintage Club 20 seems just as happy with a combo of NOS EL84's and new manufacture pre-amp tubes. It just depends upon the amp.

The good news is that there are some great new manufacture tubes coming out on the market lately. The New Sensor Tung Sol reissues are a great example. Their 5881 reissues are hard to tell from the NOS, and their reissue 12AX7's have killer tone - warm, fat, harmonically balanced, and musical. Unless I stumble upon a really great deal on NOS, I'll opt for the TS 12AX7's as my first choice from now on.
    Last edited by Bloozcat; July 8th, 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to deal in vintage tubes on Ebay for a long time .. I would suggest buying a cheap tube tester and giving some NOS tubes a shot ...
    " Over the Pond Guy " M69 rings & PAF pickups @ OverthePondGuy@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Holy thread resurrection!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Member resurection ..lol ...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."

Post Thanks / Like

Holy Member resurection ..lol ...
    Yeah, you ain't kidding! LTNS, Mike! What's happening?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there yourself pedal maker to the stars .. great to see everything is still rockin round these parts .. what a great job you mods and Robert have done maintaing an interesting and informative forum , congrats ...... btw Rob my ZYS needs a paint job ..lol How are things goin with you , opps better move this catch up bit to a different thread before the mods nail me for straying off of the nos tube topic ..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbo
    I used to deal in vintage tubes on Ebay for a long time .. I would suggest buying a cheap tube tester and giving some NOS tubes a shot ...
    Bobbo...from mylespaul forum...welcome aboard!
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.