Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
NGD ... but may have to send it back, need your opinions please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NGD ... but may have to send it back, need your opinions please

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default NGD ... but may have to send it back, need your opinions please

I took delivery of a new Cherry Red Epiphone Dot today and I really like it a lot. It plays really nicely and has some lovely tones but there are some problems that I'd like to get your opinions on. Firstly there's some ugly looking scratch marks on the finger board all along the top E string from the third to the 9th fret. These might come out with a bit of a clean and polish but at the moment are a little annoying.

Next and probably more concerning there are some hair line cracks along the neck coming from the nut on both the top and underside of the neck. These look to be just on the finish but the fact that they are on the top on bottom makes me think this guitar may have taken a knock along the way.

I ordered unseen from a large European music store and they have a 30 money back gauruntee so I can send it back with no questions asked. I tried a couple in local stores and they had scratchy pots, loose pickup toggles etc. so I decided to just order online instead. So should I keep it and just accept that you're likely to get these kind of flaws on a relatively inexpensive guitar or send it back and get a replacement?

I do really like the guitar, as does my daughter

- Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. Well first of all, that's a pretty guitar! Secondly, I'd wait for someone with more expertise in guitar repair, but that second neck picture seems pretty questionable to me. I guess maybe some glue could help it if it actually starts to crack? Honestly, I have no idea. So why am I posting???

Well, good luck in getting it sorted out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

With those finish cracks on both sides of the neck, I'd definitely return it for a new one.

It looks like it took a bad whack.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, now that I've actually read everything you wrote, I revise my statement. Do you think the cracks could be structural? Does the neck show any ill effects playing-wise? If no and no, I'd keep it. It's usually a pain (and you have to pay for shipping) to send a guitar back, so while you might get lucky and not have any problems the next time around, if it truly is just a finish crack, I guess I might lean toward keeping it.

Hopefully more opinions come in here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

When in doubt send it back for a new one!!!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    With those finish cracks on both sides of the neck, I'd definitely return it for a new one.

It looks like it took a bad whack.
    +1. I'd be concerned that a blow hard enough to cause finish cracks on both sides of the neck might have structurally weakened the neck right there at the headstock-neck junction. There are few bigger guitar bummers than the headstock snapping off. And if that happened a few months down the road, you'd have no recourse. I'd return it....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like shipping/handling damage to me, too. In any case, take advantage of the return policy, and get another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keep the daughter,
    send the guitar back.

Seriously, the cracks scare me unless you spent very little and got a super deal. I mean a very good, cheap deal.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the feedback. I've re packed it all up and i'm going to request a replacement in the morning. I'm hoping they'll pay the shipping given that the guitar is somewhat defective.

Unfortunately this store use DHL to deliver and DHL have recently out sourced the local leg of deliveries in Ireland to the national postal service. So our local postman who previously used to happily skip along with his bag of letters now has a van load of boxes to deliver and he ain't best pleased about it. I've seen him bounce boxes out of his van, he really doesn't give a s--- about whats inside. I'm worried the replacement might meet a similar fate, or worse. Anyway if the next one has problems I can always seek a refund.

Thanks again to everyone for your advice!
    - Lev

Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb

Post Thanks / Like

They ABSOLUTELY should pay for return shipping. Accept nothing less.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Lev, I have heard of many guitars being shipping via the mail to have arrive with the headstock completely broken.
    They ship them with the tension on the strings and all it takes is for someone to drop the package and the shock will snap it like a twig. I would take no chances with it and send it back. I have seen a lot of guitars that had to have their necks repaired going for 1/3 of their value. Not something you should be worried about with a new guitar. Shipping is of course their responsibility. They will usually send you or print out a label for return.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Unfortunately this store use DHL to deliver and DHL have recently out sourced the local leg of deliveries in Ireland to the national postal service. So our local postman who previously used to happily skip along with his bag of letters now has a van load of boxes to deliver and he ain't best pleased about it. I've seen him bounce boxes out of his van, he really doesn't give a s--- about whats inside. I'm worried the replacement might meet a similar fate, or worse. Anyway if the next one has problems I can always seek a refund.
    At the risk off P!ssing off your postman, I might recommend mentioning this to him........if that doesn't help, perhaps someone with more authority.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    At the risk off P!ssing off your postman, I might recommend mentioning this to him........if that doesn't help, perhaps someone with more authority.
    Do you really want to piss off a US postman?

Canadian, I could understand.. our postmen have been on strike for almost a week and I haven't even noticed
    the difference.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracked neck.

I totally support your decision to send it back without delay.

They should pick up all the shipping costs because it is defective. I hope you got pre-authoriztion before you sent it back. That is what they require around here to cover postage, etc., plus tracking. You don't want it to just show up at their warehouse with no indication about what is happening. This could lead to a time consuming communications breakdown.

Beautiful guitar for sure. I have an Ibanez like that, AS73. Should be a great guitar worth getting right. I recently bought a full hollow body, relatively expensive Ibanez electric that is outragelusly beautiful and feels and sounds great. I can relate to your desire to own this guitar.

Work it out with them and don't settle for less than a perfect one, within reason. Epiphone turns out some relatively perfect guitars.

I have been dealing with a broken necked LP Epi and it is not pleasant. The repair is mediocre at best and it does not look appealing. The guitar is probably worth one tenth of its original cost so keeping it is definitely happening, as long as it plays well. If it fails again it may be relegated to the junk depository.

There is absolutely no reason to start out with a severely messed up, so called new, guitar. You would be better off with a used, half beat up, guitar that has solid integrity and plays and feels good.

That guitar doesn't look to me like it sustained its cracks in shipment either. I'd say it slipped thru quality control or was a returned item they were trying to cycle out of their inventory to some unsuspecting buyer.

If you get a perfect new one of that cherry beauty, you will be doing well and probably should call yourself lucky. But with the Epi lifetime warranty that is what you should expect every time.

Good luck and have fun with the new guitar. It will be interesting to hear about. I hope you are totally elated with your new one.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Lovely guitar! I bit Hagstom Viking'esque if I may say so! Especially in cherry. (i know, i know, Gibson and Epi did it first). But I agree with everyone else and you have already decided to send it back. Good decision. I would not accept a new instrument with those flaws. Hope the next one is a good one! Those semis are fun guitars!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, you'll lose nothing by sending it back. I wouldn't be concerned about the marks on the fingerboard though. I've seen worse tooling marks on more expensive guitars.
    Patrick

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The more I look at the pictures I am wodering if it could be a factory second. If not it should be. I have never seen marks like that on a number one guitar. If that is what they are getting out of China I would be letting Epiphone know. It may not be shipping damage.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

The photo shows an en echelon fracture pattern consistent with brittle deformation. Given that it's on both sides of the neck, I'm fairly sure that the fractures are not limited to the finish. I have no doubt that the underlying wood has been seriously compromised.

No way in hell that I'd accept a guitar with that type of damage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The online store (Thomann) have come back to me with a UPS returns docket, I just have to call UPS and get it picked up - no cost to me. Unfortunately I'm out of town for a few days so won't be able to arrange for UPS to pick it up until later next week. But the customer service experience has been pretty good so far with this return. Obviously they won't ship a replacement until they get this one back so it'll probably be a couple of weeks before I get my hands on the new guitar.
    - Lev

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast