Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Taking a break from the skinny strings...back to the fat!

Thread: Taking a break from the skinny strings...back to the fat!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking a break from the skinny strings...back to the fat!

After some soul searching I've decided to take a break from the guitar and go back to playing bass for at least a little while.

I'm going to keep my sweet MIM HSS strat and my Mustang amp - but the rest of the gear is going or already gone.

I had kept an SX Shortscale Jazz 4-string and a small Ibanez amp (soundwave or something, like 20 watts for the coffee table) when I picked the guitar up again. Wasn't satisfied with the feel or tone so I headed out to buy some new bass gear. Maybe this is all just a way to justify buying more gear - nah...it's been fun to pickup the bass again and I intend to focus on learning my chord arpeggios and figuring out songs and see where it goes.

Life's too short - when you get the itch, you have to scratch it right? Here's some picks of the new bass - Ibanez Soundgear 405...surprising decent active pickups for a pretty inexpensive bass:

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the looks of those Ibanez basses. I played a low-end P/J Ibanez bass a while back and was impressed. The pickups were a little muddier than I would have expected from Ps and Js but that can be fixed easily enough.

I stopped doing new gear posts - I just buy and sell WAY too much stuff
    Glad to see you made an exception
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

The world needs more bass players................congrats
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've been having trouble remembering the exact model number of my old Ibanez SG bass, until now. That is nearly identical to the one I had! I loved it and regret having to sell it. Congratulations!

As for turning your back on skinny strings...

Post Thanks / Like

I missed this one as I was out fishing for the weekend.

You probably can well guess my sentiments on this topic...

Cool bass!!

Like Maxi, I used to have an SR500 that was a great bass. Those soundgears are really sweet and I'm glad you like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Progrmr, still digging' the heavy strings?

Post Thanks / Like

funny you should post this...I am about to post a NBD
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255