Thread: The proper way to restring a guitar..

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

What I usually do is that instead of putting the string downward from the hole right away, I do one turn on top and then the rest under the string hole. That way the string is tightly locked between the two winding up and down and that help a lot to avoid the string to escape while tuning it
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    What I usually do is that instead of putting the string downward from the hole right away, I do one turn on top and then the rest under the string hole. That way the string is tightly locked between the two winding up and down and that help a lot to avoid the string to escape while tuning it
    Exactly. And IMO the perfect string amount is that you have just one or 1,5 coils on both sides of the string end, crimping it together...but no more. Anything over 2 under is at least too much.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jipes View Post
    great tip.I gotta remember this one next change.what do you mean right away if on inline tuning machines you go through the bottom up/through,wrap once around top.the rest under there is no downward right or any way.simple concept really as long as it's trapped to be able to tune the way SVL said about bending once through.likely the way they are now.been awhile.told ya all they last me awhile now.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb