Thread: Oil/Conditioner for Maple Fretboard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oil/Conditioner for Maple Fretboard

I am getting ready to change the strings on my Telecaster and wanted to oil/condition my maple fretboard before I put on the new strings. Most of the products I have seen for this purpose are for dark wood boards (rosewood etc.). Does anyone have any suggestions? I am familiar with linseed oil from using it on rifle stocks but do not know if that will work the maple or even in any guitar application.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK, maple fingerboards are finished, and should not be treated like unfinished rosewood. Oil or other treatments will just sit on the surface and make a mess. I'd recommend cleaning with a cloth dampened with a solution of Murphy's oil soap, or plain water.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing you do to a maple board is to clean it off. DO NOT apply any conditioner or treatment.

Rosewood is an oily wood and it can dry over time. That is why rosewood sometimes gets conditioned. Do not do any treatment of this type to a maple board.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only treatment I could think of is buff it clean just as you'd buff the guitar body clean; at most some sort of mild wax or furniture polish used. No oils.

I've used Johnson Pled furniture polish for some guitars...but I practically never clean my own guitars. They should accumulate dirt over the years IMO.
    But in the store I worked at they always used that stuff to buff the finishes nice and shiny.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Yep, what they said!
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Actually that's my second favorite thing about a maple neck, after the looks--low maintenance!

Plus, I think my maple fretboard with black sharkies is just plain hawt.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys! I had a luthier who took care of this, but he is leaving my area. I know he had told me that someone may have taken steel wool to the back of the neck and it seems like there is no finish on the Tele neck unlike my Strat which does have a coating of some sort (laquer I believe).
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz