Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's been your most "uncomfortable" gig?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's been your most "uncomfortable" gig?

Hi Everyone,

This past weekend our Beach Boys/Surf/Oldies band was hired for a wedding reception. Normally, we're excited about these events because this music is good for a mixed crowd and everyone likes to dance to it. Perfect for a wedding celebration.

So many of the details of this gig were vague from the wedding coordinator, but our understanding of the event was that it would be held inside of a large air-conditioned reception hall with plenty of room, etc.

We arrived at the gig only to find out that the venue was being held in a residential backyard. Normally, this isn't a huge deal, however I forgot to mention that I live in Phoenix and it's late June. It's so hot that the dairy cows are giving evaporated milk this time of the year. The temperature on Saturday peaked at 112 F on the afternoon of our gig. Luckily, we were setup under the shade of a large tree but still our equipment was getting really hot, and I was very concerned about my guitars. We had to chug water for the entire gig to keep from passing out :-)

We made it through the gig, probably a few pounds lighter than we arrived. But we got through it. I felt very sorry for our drummer who had more of a physical job than we did, although the entire band was melting by the end of our gig.

I kept wondering who would knowingly plan such an event, outside, in Phoenix in late June? They should have their head examined.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Well as we out East here say, "At least its a dry heat"
    Man that sucks. I went to a military academy and every Sunday in the spring before the end of the school year we had a military style parade (see the movie Taps for reference. Filmed at the school and uniforms were similar) We had to wear 100% wool uniforms (grey tunic, black pants, and a black helmet that weighed about 2 pounds). One Sunday they gave an award at the parade to a Senator or some such person. He was in the shade and we, on the hand, were in the 90 degree humid sun. He talked like Foghorn Leghorn and rambled for an hour. Cadets were falling like flies. lock your knees and before you know it your blacked out heading nose first for the tarmac. i survived but watched many a man fall. Got back to the barracks and t-shirt I was wearing was so wet it was like I jumped into a pool with it on!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Considering I've only ever "gigged" at church, I don't have much to share in the way of stories. That sounds like a bummer of a gig for you, Jim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Back during high school, about 40 years ago.....my band played for the mental patients at the state mental hospital. Had to be the strangest gig of MY career.
    LIVE AND LET ROCK!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
    Back during high school, about 40 years ago.....my band played for the mental patients at the state mental hospital. Had to be the strangest gig of MY career.
    Like this?

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

First, some background:
    My Synod (church body) has worker-training system of prep schools which in turn feed the college and then eventually the Seminary. At the time there were three prep schools and two colleges. Now we're down to two and one, respectively. Anyway . . .

When I played bass in a bluegrass band in college (we called ourselves "Ban Jovi") someone in the recruitment department thought it'd be a good idea to send us to one of the prep schools to play and then someone would speak about the college. We also went with a barbershop/a cappella group. I assume they chose us because we didn't technically need a drummer/drum kit. The girls at the school thought the a cappella group was all that. Then we came on. Let's just say that not many high schoolers in the late 80s were into bluegrass. We played to mostly semi-respectful silence, although if rolled eyes were audible I would have been deaf. I was laughing for most of it just because it was such a train wreck. The only positive reaction we got is when one of the teachers from the prep school was trying to take a picture of us and I mugged with a profoundly stupid grin.

That school was the one that closed, but I'm not sure that it had anything to do with us.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Most likely a last minute fix. I knew a couple of young people who rented a hall and paid the money down. They then decided to change the date and couldn't get a hall for that date. They lost their deposit and ended up doing it on the
    "cheap" in a friends yard under a tent. I would be all over the wedding planner about that one.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
    There must be more to this story!

Post Thanks / Like

While I'm on a rant about weird gigs :-) the other part I forgot to mention about this gig was the fact that some people in the audience seemed to help themselves to our equipment during our breaks and take a test drive on the drum set & keyboard for as long as they like. What is it about some people who think that it's o.k. to just walk up and try out the drums, or allow their children to pile on someone else's professional gear and bang away? It's just inconsiderate especially when the band is not a family member, but a hired group to play for their event.

We almost felt like asking these parents "hey, would you mind handing me your car keys? I'd like to take your car out for a spin while you're on break, not driving it" :-)

--Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    Well as we out East here say, "At least its a dry heat"
    Man that sucks. I went to a military academy and every Sunday in the spring before the end of the school year we had a military style parade (see the movie Taps for reference. Filmed at the school and uniforms were similar) We had to wear 100% wool uniforms (grey tunic, black pants, and a black helmet that weighed about 2 pounds). One Sunday they gave an award at the parade to a Senator or some such person. He was in the shade and we, on the hand, were in the 90 degree humid sun. He talked like Foghorn Leghorn and rambled for an hour. Cadets were falling like flies. lock your knees and before you know it your blacked out heading nose first for the tarmac. i survived but watched many a man fall. Got back to the barracks and t-shirt I was wearing was so wet it was like I jumped into a pool with it on!
    Off topic, but...You went to FU? I went to Camden in South Carolina. Similar experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jpfeifer View Post
    While I'm on a rant about weird gigs :-) the other part I forgot to mention about this gig was the fact that some people in the audience seemed to help themselves to our equipment during our breaks and take a test drive on the drum set & keyboard for as long as they like. What is it about some people who think that it's o.k. to just walk up and try out the drums, or allow their children to pile on someone else's professional gear and bang away? It's just inconsiderate especially when the band is not a family member, but a hired group to play for their event.
    I think it's the longstanding attitude of music being a hobby and instruments being toys -- at least when it comes to non-orchestral music. My mother-in-law has commented on my pedals being "toys" in the past. I understand the idea, in that it's something that is for my enjoyment, but it comes off as dismissive, condescending, and disrespectful. I think that attitude is pretty common among non-music people.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

My most uncomfortable gig so far was back in high school, for whatever reason my metal/hard rock band got booked to do a church picnic. No idea how all this went down. We were cadets in a military school (I was 17), very little practice time, all that sort of thing, and you know someone had to know someone to get us the special permission required to even go to this church thing, much less play there.

Anyway, we were playing stuff like Black Sabbath to a hardcore church crowd, and being largely ignored by the "understanding" older folks there. Sometimes at these events there's one table or corner of the room where the church people's rebellious teenage kids hang out. Well we kinda got them rockin a little, and that's when the organizers of the event decided to stop being "understanding" and save our souls. They staged a little revival right there, just for our benefit. Man, we couldn't get back on the bus fast enough. I laugh about it now, but back then I was scared out of my mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Played at a school for the deaf once, it started out really really weird but ended up okay. They clapped.

That story made me remember this one. When I was in my late teens we played at a church where there was this deaf kid about 11 or so. We were acoustic and the kid kept coming up and touching our guitars while we were playing. We didn't know he was challenged until (and really I don't know what made me do it) i put his hand on the body of my guitar. He stayed there for the entire session, with a kind of zen on his face. Awesome experience. Maybe we should start a thread with most inspiring gigs....
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Off topic, but...You went to FU? I went to Camden in South Carolina. Similar experience.
    No went to VFMA (Valley Forge Military Academy)
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of my gigs have been very very uncomfortable. I don't know how a gig could be very comfortable actually, it's always a mix of being stressed for time and fervently hauling things around and making them work and then waiting for hours on end in some place you'd rather not be.

Anyway, I guess the top three would be...in no particular order...once we had to play a gig on a stage so small ( I dunno what the designer built it for) that we had to open a door behind it (thankfully a double door) and the drummer had to play in the room behind us, and STILL I had to sit on my amp the entire gig, because there literally was not enough room to stand on the stage once we'd put up our gear. And there were like 6 people watching us anyway.

Another really bad one was once there had been some sort of misunderstanding between the bar and our agency, and instead of our normal 45-60minutes rock burst we had to play three separate hour long sets. There were maybe half a dozen viewers at best, who kept changing...and we played till like 2 in the morning, everyone dead tired from the gig the night before, and had to play long improvs and whatnot. We also got so drunk towards the end that the bassist fell off the stage. Had to sleep in my car after that too, as it was too late to drive to the next venue...so we slept sitting on the seats...kind of. Guess how refreshed and eager we were on the next gig...

And finally, the only time I was the culprit really was once we were playing in this rather large festival, and I got either too much to drink or something like a sunstroke, and I felt like I was having a panic attack all the time. At least twice I quit the song at the solo section, because I thought it was over, and it was generally just horrible, I dunno how I managed to get thru it somehow. I felt I was in hell. Also broke 2 strings at the end, which I never do, and I was so disoriented I could not fix the situation, so we played the final songs without my guitar and they must have sounded really hollow.

But yeah, I could go on for hours like that...in fact, out of a hundred gigs, I'd say maybe 10 were enjoyable, all the others were more like varying degrees of being in hell really.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Like Eric, I've only played with our church band, but we had two separate times when we played outside when the weather decided to turn cold with a 30 mph wind. Once we were on the front porch of the church for a "Fall Festival" (no Halloween in a Baptist church - lol) and it kept getting colder and colder so when we finished our teeth were chattering. We also played at our town's "Harvest Festival" at the city pavilion downtown. It was an overcast day, not TOO cold until the wind kicked up. It was blowing about 20-30 mph and the pavilion had a concrete floor and a roof that acted as a wind tunnel. My hands were hurting and numb before we finally got through!
    Ronnie

Guitars: Washburn WI64DL Idol, Yamaha Pacifica 112, Yamaha EG112C, Washburn House of Blues Electric, Washburn G30 Acoustic

Amps: Crate GX1200H Head, Crate 4x12 Cabinet, Crate GLX65 12" Combo, Johnson 15 watt, Fender Frontman 25R

Pedals: Cry Baby Wah, DOD FX20-B Stereo Phaser, Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive, Daneletro CM2 Metal II, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro FAB Flange

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigoldron View Post
    Like Eric, I've only played with our church band, but we had two separate times when we played outside when the weather decided to turn cold with a 30 mph wind. Once we were on the front porch of the church for a "Fall Festival" (no Halloween in a Baptist church - lol) and it kept getting colder and colder so when we finished our teeth were chattering. We also played at our town's "Harvest Festival" at the city pavilion downtown. It was an overcast day, not TOO cold until the wind kicked up. It was blowing about 20-30 mph and the pavilion had a concrete floor and a roof that acted as a wind tunnel. My hands were hurting and numb before we finally got through!
    That actually reminds me of a story. The past couple of years, I've gone Christmas caroling with some co-workers in a neighborhood near work. The organizer of it brought his acoustic guitar both years, and both years it was ridiculously cold. I kind of split time with him on the guitar, and it's the only time I actually have not been able to tell what I'm playing -- because I couldn't feel my fingers! Makes it kind of difficult to play...

I suppose that would have to be my most uncomfortable "gig."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah it doesn't really even have to be very cold outside and it's quite uncomfortable. Luckily I never had to play anywhere really cold...but I've been loading the equipment and 'touring' with a tiny Escort and a trailer with a full band in -32 degrees weathers with strong winds, that was pretty uncomfy.

This thread sure brought some memories :-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

In college I played with a small Jazz combo and somebody was crazy enough to hire us to play for the opening of a Burger King fast food restaurant. We setup inside right by the place where you place your order. All of the customers were annoyed with us because they had to shout to get their orders heard by the attendants at the cash register. We were getting odd stares from the customers and other employees as we played our songs from "The Real Book". I remember how it felt on that gig, hoping that the whole thing would end quickly since nobody wanted the live music, even though we were obligated to play.

Another uncomfortable gig situation was also in college when someone booked our Jazz fusion band at a Blues bar, which was a popular hangout for all of the local bikers. When we started our set of fusion music the biker crowd wasn't amused at all. A large guy with tattoos, handlebar mustache, and Harley shirt, jumped onto the stage in the middle of our song, grabbed our other guitar player by the shoulders and shouted in his face "Play some f!@$ing Blues!" That's when we abruptly stopped our song and finished the rest of the night with blues progressions. I'm surprised we didn't get our butts kicked, it was close. :-)

--Jim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast