Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What's been your most "uncomfortable" gig? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's been your most "uncomfortable" gig?

Post Thanks / Like

Back in the early 80's my band played in a bar in West Virginia with chicken net in front of the stage and confederate flags and pro south stuff everywhere.
    We won a battle of the bands contest at WVU and the bar owner asked us to come play his 'lil ole joint" as he called it. The pay was allot more than our usual so we jumped on it instantly.

There was more people wearing skoal & various similar style hats, patriotic confederate flag t-shirts and hats everywhere, trucks with loaded shotgun racks.
    The DJ was playing Country music while we were setting up and they screaming and yelling a very rowdy crowd fights the whole works. We were like man how did we end up in this joint. We played nothing but hard rock and funk that night they loved us. WHAT A RELIEF man-o-man they keep saying 'MAN YOU BROTHERS CAN ROCK HARD" buying food & rounds for us. They only got rowdier while we playing but never once did we get anything negative vibes towards us but it was hard to feel completely comfortable in that setting of confederate flag wearing folks. We played free bird and someone even pulled out a confederate flag and was waving it around. The owner gave us a tip and wanted us to play there once a month for the next 3 months, well we decided do not judge a book by its cover and we did it and couple of times the next summer (with the tip plus our pay it was one of our better playing gigs). We never had any issues but it was just damn hard to feel completely safe in that setting. Looking back now I know how guys playing the Chitlin' circuit must have felt back in the 50's and 60's.

We always made sure we had a full tank of gas before we reach this club never want to stop in that area. LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Wow and I thought that The Blues Brothers was all Hollywood Hoopla but after reading some of these experiences it looks like it was based on some reality!
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    Back in the early 80's my band played in a bar in West Virginia with chicken net in front of the stage and confederate flags and pro south stuff everywhere.
    We won a battle of the bands contest at WVU and the bar owner asked us to come play his 'lil ole joint" as he called it. The pay was allot more than our usual so we jumped on it instantly.

There was more people wearing skoal & various similar style hats, patriotic confederate flag t-shirts and hats everywhere, trucks with loaded shotgun racks.
    The DJ was playing Country music while we were setting up and they screaming and yelling a very rowdy crowd fights the whole works. We were like man how did we end up in this joint. We played nothing but hard rock and funk that night they loved us. WHAT A RELIEF man-o-man they keep saying 'MAN YOU BROTHERS CAN ROCK HARD" buying food & rounds for us. They only got rowdier while we playing but never once did we get anything negative vibes towards us but it was hard to feel completely comfortable in that setting of confederate flag wearing folks. We played free bird and someone even pulled out a confederate flag and was waving it around. The owner gave us a tip and wanted us to play there once a month for the next 3 months, well we decided do not judge a book by its cover and we did it and couple of times the next summer (with the tip plus our pay it was one of our better playing gigs). We never had any issues but it was just damn hard to feel completely safe in that setting. Looking back now I know how guys playing the Chitlin' circuit must have felt back in the 50's and 60's.

We always made sure we had a full tank of gas before we reach this club never want to stop in that area. LOL
    MY band plays places like that now. I've never been put off by the Confederate flag, but of course here in Texas it's more about the Texas flag. Some of these biker joints, you're playing to Bandidos and other biker MCs, you just have to treat them like any other audience and they'll love ya. They're just folks, like the rest of us. Only they might tend to get a little rowdy at times, if ya know what I mean. When that happens, you just keep on playing. lol

That said, for some reason they seem to gravitate toward music with heavy blues progressions. Thrill is Gone, Further On Up the Road, that kind of stuff, so our sets are full of that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect Stranger View Post
    Back during high school, about 40 years ago.....my band played for the mental patients at the state mental hospital. Had to be the strangest gig of MY career.
    Interesting, we played at a local state hospital. It was a variety or talent show they put on for the patients. We played Pipeline and Walk Don't Run there. That was back in the late 60s. It was fun but it was our first stage presence and we were nervous.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Oh, there have been plenty over the years.

From a physical standpoint, around '94 or '95 I played an afternoon show on the day before Easter Sunday on an outdoor stage with no cover. In north central Florida, it's already HOT by Easter, and at one point my bass amp just stopped working. I borrowed a little fan for it and after it cooled down I got it running again. Up there with that'un was a show that I played with Crash Pad a few years later on July 2, 1999, in a venue that had no air conditioning and no windows, here's a pic from that:

It was stifling onstage but in the name of fashion I wore that denim bike jacket and the wighat for the whole set. Another heatstroke in the making occurred on August 11, 2007 at a show in Ocala, Florida (45 minutes south of Gainesville). Same deal, no windows, no A/C. There was a big shop fan at the back of the venue but the breeze did not reach the stage. At least I didn't wear a wig or anything, but a couple times onstage I thought I would either puke or pass out from the heat.

In the emotionally/psychologically "uncomfortable" area, I've played a number of house shows that've been shut down by cops, and that's seldom fun. Worst of those was one with Allen Wrench (same band as the Easter weekend show) in the mid '90's, that turned out to be my last night as a member. It was supposed to be a practice at their house, but it turned into a party and the cops showed. There was beer there and other intoxicants, and some of the other band members' (all of whom were much younger than I) friends were under 21. The cops tore the house up a bit looking for anything illegal, which they didn't find, and threatened us all with arrest, and me personally with same on the twisted logic that because I was the oldest person there, that made me "responsible."

Another threatened arrest came with Crash Pad on June 12, 2000, but that was a bit more fun. It really deserves it's own post though, so I'll break off here for now.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Back in 2000 Crash Pad was asked to play at Media Play. They sold music and books and computer games and guitars and t-shirts and just about anything else even vaguely connected with entertainment. Huge-*** store. How they found us or why they chose us I don't know to this day. Got an e-mail out of the blue.

Anyhow, the deal was: would we like to play in-store, at like 11 pm on a Monday night? They wouldn't pay us, but we could sell CDs and stuff. They would have a promotion where new releases would be available at midnight. We would have to bring our own PA.

So I brought them a CD of ours just to make sure they really wanted a loud punk rock band, and could actually hear our material. No prob, I'm told.

You can guess where this is going.

We get all set up in the middle of the store. First song, and the night manageress comes running up and says we have to turn down. We're already playing as low as we can and still be heard over the drums. I explain that drums don't "turn down." She's pissed because her stupid sales staff can't hear their in-store pagers.

Not my problem, they shoulda thought of that when they hired us.

So she orders us out.

My response is that she's breached the contract hiring us. She has two options to avoid breach: let us play as agreed, or pay us for the lost promotional opportunity and out-of-pocket costs including our time in going out there for nothing.

Of course she says no way.

Our other guitarist says over the PA (just before I shut it off): "Media Play does not respect local artists and is trying to back out of letting us play here!" along with a couple well-placed cusses. Meanwhile manageress lady is calling the cops.

So I tell the kids to pack it in, and tell the lady we'll see her in court.

We get out to the parking lot to load up and 3 sheriff's deputies' cruisers roll up. "What seems to be the problem, guys?" I explain that Media Play hired us and then wouldn't let us play because of their dumb-*** in-store pagers, and we were just leaving. The cops actually laughed at the manageress for calling them out there over such a matter. We took some photos with the cops and actually discussed the punk rock with one of them.

Unfortunately the cops shots didn't come out because of the poor lighting outside, but we did get some of our single song:

So anyhow the next day I call the store manager, explain what happened, and tell him they owe us some bucks or I'll sue him. And even if we don't win it'll still be fine because they'll have to hire local counsel and spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars defending, plus they'll look like dolts in the local media. I might have let slip that I wrote for a regional entertainment magazine at the time.

The following day one of their corporate counsel from Minnesota or some such place calls me. We have the same conversation. I tell him the whole thing can go away for a hundred bucks, which is roughly our gas, time at minimum wage (including doing flyering, trips out to the store, etc.), and incidental expenses (such as flyers).

They thought about it for awhile and decided to cut their losses. I still have the receipt for the hundred bucks somewhere. Plus, I wrote a song about it called "One Hundred Dollars" that used to be in our setlist thereafter. And, although Crash Pad still exists, that store has long since bitten the dust.

All's well that ends well.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, cool story bro.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. Way to be a hard-***, BK. It was justified, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Nice. Way to be a hard-***, BK. It was justified, methinks.
    Haha, I RARELY play the lawyer card. But they kinda d*cked us around, and calling sheriff's deputies when we were more or less civil with them (a few swear words by our other guitarist notwithstanding) was a bit much.

I doubt I'd actually have bothered to sue them. But it was worth the bluff.

Post Thanks / Like

Nevertheless it was a breach of contract and you stuck to your end of it.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman View Post
    Nevertheless it was a breach of contract and you stuck to your end of it.
    Agreed, which is why I had no problem pulling the lawyer card. The key in those sticky situations is to stay cool (which is why I immediately moved to pull the plug on the PA when my compadre started badmouthing the store), so the other side doesn't have any counter-ammunition. A friend of mine had a similar scenario happen to him at a show I attended. He (of course) asked me to help him out afterward, but I couldn't get anything out of the venue owner. Why? Because he and his bandmates (but in particular, him) had gotten drunk and belligerent, and ordered a couple rounds after that, that they then walked out on. In that situation I had very little leverage from which to negotiate, and my friend had to console himself that they'd stiffed the venue on drinks for a goodly percentage of what they they otherwise would've been owed.

Live and learn. Don't get overly toasted at shows kids, it can bite you in the arse in ways you couldn't even have imagined.

Btw, I don't mean to imply I've never gotten overly toasted at a show. Quite the contrary, unfortunately. I'm... deeply flawed. But I do know at this point that it's a stupid thing to do.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, my blues/roots band played three times at a local mental hospital. The first time was in a big field in a gazebo. That was OK. The second two times, we were locked in a courtyard with some of the most severely afflicted patients. It was extremely uncomfortable for me. I was freaked. On breaks, I sat behind my drums, read a book and tried not to look up. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and when the opportunity came up to play there again late last year with my current band, I turned the gig down flat. I know it was a good thing to play for those poor people, but I just couldn't go through with it again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrumBob View Post
    OMG, my blues/roots band played three times at a local mental hospital. The first time was in a big field in a gazebo. That was OK. The second two times, we were locked in a courtyard with some of the most severely afflicted patients. It was extremely uncomfortable for me. I was freaked. On breaks, I sat behind my drums, read a book and tried not to look up. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and when the opportunity came up to play there again late last year with my current band, I turned the gig down flat. I know it was a good thing to play for those poor people, but I just couldn't go through with it again.
    I have a feeling they don't care. Funny to be there in the first place.
    _____

_____

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This has been a cool thread. I've yet to "gig. But I wanted to chime in and say that I have enjoyed each of the stories here. I can only hope to add my own.

On Sunday we rehearsed for 5 hours, including a monster jam on a For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul medley. I think we're gonna add Down By the River...to complete our Neil Young Medley. We have rehearsed other medlies: Stax: (Hold on I'm Comin', Soul Man, Respect,Knock On Wood), Stones: (Let's Spend the Night Together, Paint it black, The last time), Motown: (Nowhere to run, Get Ready, My Girl, Dancin in the Streets), Elvis: (Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes, something else) and the "E" Medley: (Not Fade Away, Tobacco Road, Ain't Got You, She's the One).

Anyways, Sunday was the first time I think we played relatively tight...we were able to jam and still stay together and anticipate when/if to trade leads. By far the most fun I've ever had playing guitar. So hopefully I'll be able to pop my giggin' cherry soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    This has been a cool thread. I've yet to "gig. But I wanted to chime in and say that I have enjoyed each of the stories here. I can only hope to add my own.

On Sunday we rehearsed for 5 hours, including a monster jam on a For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul medley. I think we're gonna add Down By the River...to complete our Neil Young Medley. We have rehearsed other medlies: Stax: (Hold on I'm Comin', Soul Man, Respect,Knock On Wood), Stones: (Let's Spend the Night Together, Paint it black, The last time), Motown: (Nowhere to run, Get Ready, My Girl, Dancin in the Streets), Elvis: (Hound Dog, Blue Suede Shoes, something else) and the "E" Medley: (Not Fade Away, Tobacco Road, Ain't Got You, She's the One).

Anyways, Sunday was the first time I think we played relatively tight...we were able to jam and still stay together and anticipate when/if to trade leads. By far the most fun I've ever had playing guitar. So hopefully I'll be able to pop my giggin' cherry soon.
    Sounds like fun! Break a leg!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    That's cool.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll ever get there (gigging). I've tried to get involved with some people a few times here, and there's so much stupid posturing (where they want you to be Slash just for their craptastic cover non-band) and/or disorganization/chaos that I'm sick of even trying. If I could find some supportive group of people who actually want to play together and that I can learn from, that would be different. But right now, it just feels like people only want seasoned professionals or something. It's really retarded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure if I'll ever get there (gigging). I've tried to get involved with some people a few times here, and there's so much stupid posturing (where they want you to be Slash just for their craptastic cover non-band) and/or disorganization/chaos that I'm sick of even trying. If I could find some supportive group of people who actually want to play together and that I can learn from, that would be different. But right now, it just feels like people only want seasoned professionals or something. It's really retarded.
    It's a shame many of us fretters live so far apart. There are a bunch of players here with whom I have much more in common musically than anyone I've played with.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Is there a local MoM and Pop shop that does a "Rock Band" dealio for the summer? You know , where kids that take lessons get together in little bands and play a few cover songs at the end of the summer...to a live audience? Best $110 bucks I've spent in a long time (last summer). It got me in with the group I practice with now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast