Thread: Fixing guitar chips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fixing guitar chips

I recently got a couple of chips on my guitar at the side of the body, the chips are fairly small, is it possible to get these chips fixed and how much would it cost? Its a solid body electric guitar with a sunburst finish if that help

thanks in advance

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the color of the paint where the wood is chipped. Paint chips are pretty easy to repair. All you need to find is a lot of PATIENCE. Match up the paint color as close as possible This will make or break the repair. Get a small amount of paint you don't need to spray it. Also find a very fine brush from a hobby shop, as fine as possible. Clean out the chip of any debris and paint the inside only of the chip. Any excess on the surface of the guitar should be wiped off with paint thinner. Put a small amount of paint on and LET IT DRY. I would say at least 3 or 4 hours. then reapply and follow the same time frame. What you have to do is build the level of the paint back up to the surface of the guitar. When you get it flush you can use some very fine 1000 grit sand paper and smooth it out. Then polish with wax and buff. I have done it on several guitars and many muscle cars. It works the same for both. to finsh off you can dab a bit of poly to seal it. and buff that out later. Just make sure you don't leave any residue on the surface around the chip. It take some time but the results can be excellent.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    What is the color of the paint where the wood is chipped. Paint chips are pretty easy to repair. All you need to find is a lot of PATIENCE. Match up the paint color as close as possible This will make or break the repair. Get a small amount of paint you don't need to spray it. Also find a very fine brush from a hobby shop, as fine as possible. Clean out the chip of any debris and paint the inside only of the chip. Any excess on the surface of the guitar should be wiped off with paint thinner. Put a small amount of paint on and LET IT DRY. I would say at least 3 or 4 hours. then reapply and follow the same time frame. What you have to do is build the level of the paint back up to the surface of the guitar. When you get it flush you can use some very fine 1000 grit sand paper and smooth it out. Then polish with wax and buff. I have done it on several guitars and many muscle cars. It works the same for both. to finsh off you can dab a bit of poly to seal it. and buff that out later. Just make sure you don't leave any residue on the surface around the chip. It take some time but the results can be excellent.
    Its at the side of the body where it is just a wooden brown colour, Im not sure but Im guessing that because its like varnished wood it will be easier to repair. Thanks for the detailed information on how to fix the chip , however I dont really trust myself enough to fix it. Im not very good with colours and I know I will end up making it a lot worse than it already is lol