Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Cool new clean boost kit from BYOC....

Thread: Cool new clean boost kit from BYOC....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cool new clean boost kit from BYOC....

Here's one that a lot of players have been waiting for--BYOC's new FET PreAmp, a clone of the legendary and long-since discontinued Boss FA-1 FET Amplifier made famous by The Edge of U2. Some comments from the product page, describing this new kit:

"The BYOC FET PreAmp is more than just a necessity for someone in a U2 cover band. This is one of the most amazing boosts and tone shaping tools you'll ever use. Even with 26dB of gain, the tone is extremely clean with a very crisp and snappy pick attack that will make your tube amp break up very easily. The 2-band Baxandall based EQ is extremely versatile. Not only can it boost & cut treble and bass, but it can cut mids by simultaneously turning up the treble and bass. And it can boost mids by simultaneously cutting treble and bass to make your guitar tone standout from the rest of the mix. But at the same time, it can remain entirely transparent if you just keep the knobs at noon. The BYOC FET PreAmp is an amazing tone tool that every player should have. It's a very easy build and only costs a fraction of the original."

A couple of years back, Retro Sonic brought out a circuit clone of the FA-1 boost that has received a lot of favorable press. It sells for $179. Save yourself a C-note and pick up the BYOC kit for $80!

Here's a YouTube clip of the original Boss pedal in action:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That might be a cool effect to build.
    I see they will have a new switch box coming out soon, which is something most of us could use.

Post Thanks / Like

I received one of these new FET Preamp kits and built it last weekend. Gotta tell you, I don't see it ever coming out of my pedal chain! Man, does this thing sound great for punching up clean tones. I'm running both the bass & treble controls up around 1:30 or so (12 noon is "flat" on the EQ), to scoop the mids just a bit and add some extra bass thump and high-end sparkle. I thought that a Strat into my Rubin Rocket amp was the best clean tone I'd ever heard, but this makes it sound even better. Just an amazing clean boost with a very effective EQ stage. Highly recommended!

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

How does it compare to a MOSFET-equipped OD2's boost section, beyond the fact that it has tone controls?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can market it as a BYOC Klon...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now you did it... GAS building!
    For $79, this is tempting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    How does it compare to a MOSFET-equipped OD2's boost section, beyond the fact that it has tone controls?
    Where the MOSFET boost provides a nice overall boost with an emphasis on the treble end, this pedal gives a much bigger sound across the the entire frequency spectrum. And that Baxandall-style EQ stage is a huge addition in the way it let's you shape the output sound. Plus it has w-a-a-a-a-y more available boost on tap. I have yet to run mine past about 10:30, so if you really want to slam the front-end of an amp, this will do it, in spades.

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!