Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teach me about Effects.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Start with drive, end with delay.

BUT if you have several drives, leave one last in the chain and see how that works. Experiment.

As for settings, try keeping drive/gain knobs at like 1/4th first, record it, see if it's enough. Very easy to use too much gain IMO. Try 2 drives on at once but both low gain. again, experiment.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

For pedal settings try here Look at Clapton and John Mayer or http://www.bossus.com/backstage/product_manuals/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks fella's, lots of fun there! Ok, At home i use my Sg Standard through a Vox AC4TV and at work (lunchtimes, i'm a good boy) i use an Epiphone Dot studio faded through a cheap little 'Rocksta' practice amp with a 3.5" speaker. It's not great but it makes a noise. Anyway, it's very light and whilst practising yesterday i accidentally pulled it of the desk and it fell into the solid metal (mild steel?) office waste paper basket. Now, i like my Classic Rock but found the sound this created was mid way between Classic Rock and Metal! It must be the reverb in the basket or the fact that the speaker was being reflected out by the bottom of the bin and the harmonics changed but hell was it effective! Very dirty, incredible bass; it must have been done before!

By the way, the pedals are great but i REALLY like the Keeley modified BD-2. I've not used a standard one but this just seems to give me everything i need, from clean drive through a crunch to some nice distortion. I even knocked the gain off and the tone mid-way with the level up and it was like a volume pedal. Big thumbs up here!

Post Thanks / Like

Aw jeez! This is getting out of hand now! I sold some stuff on e-Bay the other week, just trash i've had lying around. Anyway, i made some cash and could'nt really find a guitar i liked within my price bracket so the lot went of 'pre-loved pedals. So, in the last few weeks i have got myself (deep breath):

Electro Harmonix: Big Muff, Double Muff, Small Stone, Holy Grail, LPB-1 and Pulsar

Boss: CS-3 Compressor

ModTone: StutterKill

I got some good deals as well so there is now plenty to play with in Morganfield Towers!

Post Thanks / Like

Distortion is beautiful, controlled chaos (kinda like an ideal society).

Chorus is similar to the doppler effect, but in slow-motion (depending on the speed/rate you apply.

Flang is best left in the past.

Delay - read links by products from Alesis to Line 6 and you'll have a good start to your knowledge.

Find youtubes of Ibanez Tube Screamer pedals (or 'boutique' company models) to hear to edginess of this effect. Stevie Ray Vaughan added a bunch to his sound...

Cheers.

http://pages.videotron.com/swguitar
    Last edited by sjwgguitar; September 20th, 2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sjwgguitar View Post
    Flang is best left in the past.
    +1 on the that!... but that's just my preference.
    Check out YouTube, there should be oodles and boodles of clips there of every pedal imaginable!

Cheers
    David
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
    +1 on the that!... but that's just my preference.
    Check out YouTube, there should be oodles and boodles of clips there of every pedal imaginable!

Cheers
    David
    -1 on that! I just built one and I love it so much more than my phaser....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    -1 on that! I just built one and I love it so much more than my phaser....
    Agreed, everything is personal preference... if we were all the same, what an incredibly boring place it would be!
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12