Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Nfl 2011

Post Thanks / Like

I'm cautiously optimistic about tonight's game.

As poorly as the Jets have been playing of late, the Dolphins are fighting the Colts to be the worst team in the league. Still, the Jets have a history of playing down to the level of their competition, and never more than when they should get an easy win over the Dolphins.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dolphins and Colts need to start winning. Cleveland needs Andrew Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so P.O.'d that the Lions aren't going 16-0! It was destiny! *set sarcasm on "stun"*

Actually 5-1 isn't too shabby. Next week's game against the Falcons will tell us a lot about the Lions. At least as much as Stafford got hit, he got up every time.

I also like the fact that Jim Schwartz might be wound just a little bit too tightly. The Lions have been seriously lacking life, spunk, and anything resembling (a positive) attitude over the past 15 years. Plus it's fun to play "My coach can beat up your coach."
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    I'm so P.O.'d that the Lions aren't going 16-0! It was destiny! *set sarcasm on "stun"*

Actually 5-1 isn't too shabby. Next week's game against the Falcons will tell us a lot about the Lions. At least as much as Stafford got hit, he got up every time.

I also like the fact that Jim Schwartz might be wound just a little bit too tightly. The Lions have been seriously lacking life, spunk, and anything resembling (a positive) attitude over the past 15 years. Plus it's fun to play "My coach can beat up your coach."
    It also made me feel a little better about the 49ers destruction of the Bucs. They're better than I thought they'd be.

I loved Schwartz versus Harbaugh. I'd rather have a coach that comes unglued at the end of a tough game because he's that into it than a coach that happily marches over to hug the winning coach because he gets paid either way. I wish Rex Ryan's team would back up his big mouth but at least he cares.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Watching the "compressed" version of the game on NFL Rewind. The compressed version cuts out all the "stuff" and jumps immediately from the end of one play to the snap of the next. It's the way to go. I watched the whole game in about 43 minutes. The Lions go from looking unstoppable to being hapless from drive to drive. Can't kick figgies after you are first and goal. The game was eminently winnable. I was proud to hear the crowd making life tough on the Niners offensive line. We were briefly in Michigan this weekend for my grandfather's funeral. Tried to get a Stafford jersey for my son and a Suh jersey for me, but it appears like they are selling well right now

WRT the battle of the coaches, I'd like to see Michigan Man (tm) Jim Harbaugh do well, just not against the Lions. No U of M fan was surprised to see him as jacked as he was.

*Edit*: Ugh, the end of the game was particularly ugly. Detroit, in general, looking like the better team until the last six minutes. Not surprisingly, they cut out the coaches' confrontation at the end.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I'd rather have a coach that comes unglued at the end of a tough game because he's that into it than a coach that happily marches over to hug the winning coach because he gets paid either way. I wish Rex Ryan's team would back up his big mouth but at least he cares.
    Yeah, I agree. It seems that the most passionate coaches are the ones that win more. I used to love seeing Holmgren erupt when he'd get a bad call!

During Jim Mora's short tenure here, it seemed that he would just take the losses as a matter of course. I can't stand that sort of attitude.

I think Pete Carroll is better in that regard at least. I'm quite unsure about his tactics and overall strategy though.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Schwartz versus Harbaugh. I'd rather have a coach that comes unglued at the end of a tough game because he's that into it than a coach that happily marches over to hug the winning coach because he gets paid either way. I wish Rex Ryan's team would back up his big mouth but at least he cares.
    While Andy Reid looks like he auditioning for Mt. Rushmore.......stone-faced. UGH.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Yeah, I agree. It seems that the most passionate coaches are the ones that win more. I used to love seeing Holmgren erupt when he'd get a bad call!
    I think there are probably lots of examples from either side. Looking back over recent years, it would be

Mike McCarthy - average / jolly
    Sean Payton - reserved
    Mike Tomlin - angry
    Tom Coughlin - crusty
    Tony Dungy - boring
    Bill Cowher - angry
    Bill Belichick - mumbly
    Jon Gruden - super-angry

Bear in mind that these are just my off-the-top-of-my-head impressions of these coaches public personas, but they don't all strike me as super passionate. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think there are probably lots of examples from either side. Looking back over recent years, it would be

Mike McCarthy - average / jolly
    Sean Payton - reserved
    Mike Tomlin - angry
    Tom Coughlin - crusty
    Tony Dungy - boring
    Bill Cowher - angry
    Bill Belichick - mumbly
    Jon Gruden - super-angry

Bear in mind that these are just my off-the-top-of-my-head impressions of these coaches public personas, but they don't all strike me as super passionate. Just sayin'.
    Yeah, come to think of it, Bill Walsh wasn't particularly excitable either.

Although Bill Parcells could get pretty worked up at times.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this over at SBNation and thought it would be worth passing along. I found it to be pretty funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2acb1b0156/millenball
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I found this over at SBNation and thought it would be worth passing along. I found it to be pretty funny.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/2acb1b0156/millenball
    I don't know whether to laugh or burst into tears. I do know that I end up in a Hulk-like rage whenever I hear his voice on a college football broadcast. Naturally he does the Big 10 (or thereabouts) games.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know whether to laugh or burst into tears. I do know that I end up in a Hulk-like rage whenever I hear his voice on a college football broadcast. Naturally he does the Big 10 (or thereabouts) games.
    Well, you can look at it this way: in the Patrick Willis draft, where they talked about Ikaika Alama-Francis (who was actually drafted -- who knew?), the Lions did end up with Calvin Johnson. So there's that bright side of things.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, you can look at it this way: in the Patrick Willis draft, where they talked about Ikaika Alama-Francis (who was actually drafted -- who knew?), the Lions did end up with Calvin Johnson. So there's that bright side of things.
    I nodded grimly when that name was mentioned. Yes, Megatron turned out to be a superstar. Too bad they had to spend FOUR first round picks to find ONE wide receiver.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

It really does sort of boggle the mind, doesn't it? Same with Bill Maas, back when he was still doing games.

Post Thanks / Like

So apparently Detroit and Philadelphia swapped inconsequential backup running backs, with Brown being dealt for Harrison and a future 7th rounder. Whee.

I hope Detroit gets some use out of Ronnie Brown. He was pretty much useless here, but he might be one of those the-more-you-use-'em types. Detroit sure could use a running game, so hopefully the new situation gives him new life.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I was thinking about what a shame it was for Oakland that Campbell went down and what a good fit Palmer would be if only the Bengals would trade him. If there's any team that would overreach to make a move it's the Raiders. It kind of warmed my heart because it would have made Al Davis proud. I do think if Palmer is anywhere near playing shape he gives the Raiders a better chance than Boller or Pryor. We'll see.

Post Thanks / Like

Last night I was thinking about what a shame it was for Oakland that Campbell went down and what a good fit Palmer would be if only the Bengals would trade him. If there's any team that would overreach to make a move it's the Raiders. It kind of warmed my heart because it would have made Al Davis proud. I do think if Palmer is anywhere near playing shape he gives the Raiders a better chance than Boller or Pryor. We'll see.
    Yup, I agree. I'm no Raiders fan, but I was kind of glad to see this deal go down exactly the way it did.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, I agree. I'm no Raiders fan, but I was kind of glad to see this deal go down exactly the way it did.
    The Bengals can parlay those two picks into many many more picks if they play their cards correctly so it could work out well for both teams in the long run.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast